1982 FJ45 Troopy front seat options (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jomelo

SILVER Star
Threads
C07E9DAC-9AB3-403D-8ABB-81127A3043B8.jpeg
I recently acquired a 1982 FJ45 lhd Troopy. The truck is in overall original condition with the exception of the front seats. The original bases were retained but some bucket seats were added in place of the factory bench (I assume it was a bench). I’m trying to decide what I should do about these seats.....go to a bench or maybe some buckets from another Cruiser? Curious if anyone else has been down this path.

I have some black euro spec lhd Troopy bench seats I might let go..they are a bolt in with sliders

They're potentially 60 series seats. They bolt straight into the 8/80+ floor. If they are they're much comfier - just lose the headrests for the early look.

Let’s see what you u have in there...don’t be a tease haha.

They're potentially 60 series seats. They bolt straight into the 8/80+ floor. If they are they're much comfier - just lose the headrests for the early look.

By the late seventies all FJ40s being imported to the US had front seat headrests. We got them as a option starting with our 73 bucket seats. JDM had them earlier. While we didn't get them prior to 73 model our last bench seats had the track for headrests hidden inside.

I am curious about the 60 series seats. Believe the mounting base changed at some point? Is it the earlier ones that fit? Toyota only imported Land Cruisers with buckets from 73 on in the US market. Yours would have the long section on the driver's side for us. I managed to get a passenger's side for LHD FJ45LP-B from the Middle East. Not sure the year it's from but it was different than the 84 HJ47RV that was parted out locally. Believe that would interchange with only fixed nuts needed to be added. Believe the troopy seats with thicker and had a slot for the passenger's seat belt in the bottom. My seat doesn't have that slot. The seat still has the original plaid vinyl seats covers used in the Middle East market. The troopy had gray vinyl that I'm not sure if they were original or not.

By the late seventies all FJ40s being imported to the US had front seat headrests. We got them as a option starting with our 73 bucket seats. JDM had them earlier. While we didn't get them prior to 73 model our last bench seats had the track for headrests hidden inside.

I am curious about the 60 series seats. Believe the mounting base changed at some point? Is it the earlier ones that fit? Toyota only imported Land Cruisers with buckets from 73 on in the US market. Yours would have the long section on the driver's side for us. I managed to get a passenger's side for LHD FJ45LP-B from the Middle East. Not sure the year it's from but it was different than the 84 HJ47RV that was parted out locally. Believe that would interchange with only fixed nuts needed to be added. Believe the troopy seats with thicker and had a slot for the passenger's seat belt in the bottom. My seat doesn't have that slot. The seat still has the original plaid vinyl seats covers used in the Middle East market. The troopy had gray vinyl that I'm not sure if they were original or not.
I just sold some really cool JDM 61 series seats with suspension bases. That's a bummer because I would have really liked to see if they would have mounted up.

The last time I owned a *new* 40 series Gladiator was winning Oscars, so I actually don't know what the AU market received. My gut tells me there were headrests available from 8/80 onwards, potentially in vehicles other than utes prior to that. From memory 84TROOPY's '84 HJ47 has headrests and it's virtually stock.

Re the 60 series seats, now you're testing me. The cheapest and therefore most common upgrade down here [given our oxygen depriving vehicle modification laws] is to bolt 60 series 'turbo' seats in aka HJ61 seats. I believe only one bolt out of all eight needs bridging with a piece of 3" flat bar. Perhaps @Pauciflora could weigh in?

I just sold some really cool JDM 61 series seats with suspension bases. That's a bummer because I would have really liked to see if they would have mounted up.
I would say that's a big roger Mr. Lockwood. Shame.

These are the seats in my RHD troopy. I don’t know squat about non US models as this is my first I’ve had but these are super comfortable. They are almost like a recaro seat frame.

699AC2CB-8C15-4096-A55F-53409A274B76.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The last time I owned a *new* 40 series Gladiator was winning Oscars, so I actually don't know what the AU market received. My gut tells me there were headrests available from 8/80 onwards, potentially in vehicles other than utes prior to that. From memory 84TROOPY's '84 HJ47 has headrests and it's virtually stock.

Re the 60 series seats, now you're testing me. The cheapest and therefore most common upgrade down here [given our oxygen depriving vehicle modification laws] is to bolt 60 series 'turbo' seats in aka HJ61 seats. I believe only one bolt out of all eight needs bridging with a piece of 3" flat bar. Perhaps @Pauciflora could weigh in?

My 83 NorForce Troopy (11/82) has bucket seats with headrests. Pretty sure they are original, though I know the NorForce Troopies differed in some regards to the standard Aussie HJ47s (cloth bucket seats instead of a bench seat for passengers, e.g.).

View attachment 1637199 I recently acquired a 1982 FJ45 lhd Troopy. The truck is in overall original condition with the exception of the front seats. The original bases were retained but some bucket seats were added in place of the factory bench (I assume it was a bench). I’m trying to decide what I should do about these seats.....go to a bench or maybe some buckets from another Cruiser? Curious if anyone else has been down this path.
This is what was added to the one I purchased

7BB05341-1631-451A-859D-536BE10222FC.jpeg

1580A75D-F38B-4CA6-950C-FEBA81DEDAE6.jpeg

man, I didn't know that, that might make me change directions on my project a bit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom