1980 FJ45 in Dubai - Saved From the Sands (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Don't see that anyone posted the paint code for the fiberglass top - it is Cygnus White, T-012.

Looking really good! Would love to add one of these to my fleet...

Thanks for the help! Perfect timing, hopefully they will paint the roof on Saturday if they can get the paint in time (Friday is our equivalent of Saturday, as we have a Friday Saturday weekend).

It's addictive, I don't have a fleet, but if I'm able to I'll build one

It's always great to see the progress. Especially if it's 45 like yours. The shop is doing a great job on your build. Can't wait to se the final build.

Thanks for the kind words, it means a lot. Yesterday I was talking to the shop manager and told him how no matter what there's no way I'd sell the 45. I've seen it in every imaginable stage of existence so I kind of fee like I've watched it be born and grow.

Yeah reminds me when I did my Fj40 many years ago!
Piece by piece I painted parts transformation was pretty cool. I know how you feel once your at the shop. The anticipation of seeing progress!
Good job!

Just a quick update- thugs are coming together nicely. I'm making replacement glass for the side and back windows as the originals were scratched pretty badly.

A few things have been fitted since last time just to see how everything will look. Still waiting on some parts to reach that have been ordered from Al Ain and Japan. Unfortunately I was unable to find replacement hinges for the tailgate. Apart from that most things are on the way.

A few pics to keep things interesting.
First later on the bottom of the bed.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1430668044.415004.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1430668099.351336.jpg
bezel chromed with the old lights mounted (new JW speakers on the way)

I got a small shipment from Al Ain with a few spare parts they ordered for me. Tailgate latches,
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1430883708.618512.jpg
radio antenna
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1430883730.438276.jpg
and rear view mirror
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1430883751.974385.jpg

To be honest I'm not sure if the antenna is the correct one as it looks much different to the ones I've seen before (large curved rubber base), but it will have to do until I can either confirm it is the correct one, or find the one that is supposed to be fitted to the 1980. Same goes for the rest view mirror, it looks weird to me but I'll use it until I find something I prefer.

That being said the guys estimated there is about 2-3 weeks left in the build. Yesterday the tub went to paint
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1430883885.308002.jpg
so until now all body panels are painted apart from the roof and the hood. And those are in the final stages of prep work. Apart from that I have had new glass made because the PO must have welded something close to the car and the Sparks kind of melted scratches into it. So far the windshield and rear glass are ready and have been installed
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1430883993.005706.jpg
with the new rubbers. I will take a trip to the Al dhaid junk yards to source new glass for the curved rear windows to try and find the cleanest ones available, and for the side windows the glass company is remaking them as the original ones they made were slightly too thick. While I would have preferred to stick to the original glass all around, I'm very happy with the new glass. Seeing that I'll hopefully be using the car quite a lot it also makes sense from a safety perspective to have glass that is up to modern safety standards and will crack but not shatter.

I'm still waiting on a few parts from the U.S., and have some coming from Japan. But fingers crossed everything gets here soon. I'll try to go daily to the workshop to make sure I document all the changes that are happening as they're happening pretty fast and I don't want to miss them.

Clear tint your front windscreen. Last thing you want is bits of glass on your lap if a rock comes flying your way.

Antenna looks standard.

Clear tint your front windscreen. Last thing you want is bits of glass on your lap if a rock comes flying your way.

Antenna looks standard.
Yea the plan is to tint all windows with vcool or similar "zero zero" - so no color, but protection from UV rays to keep it cooler and protect the interior. The glad I got is the laminate kind though, so hopefully it will help. Come visit soon so when she's ready you test drive.

Slightly off topic, was at the ras Al khor car market to pick something up and found this.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1430900761.534668.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1430900777.252471.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1430900794.619823.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1430900818.990094.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1430900845.257367.jpg
very clean body, but the interior looks to be done. Floor boards were solid with original looking rubber mat that I haven't seen in good condition in a long time. Unfortunately not for sale, but makes me want one.

Hi guys,

Max , if you need any spare parts from Saudi Arabia just send me a private message.
Thanks a lot for the kind offer. I think I'm pretty good so far.

The things that I couldn't order new I am either restoring and reusing the original parts or sourcing them from friends and junk yards in the UAE.

I had a meeting that was cancelled today so decided to take the time to go to Al Dhaid and see if I could get replacement windows for the rest curved glass + inside vent window latch. The following pictures set the scene of how slim the pickings were as I melted in the sun.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1430941459.293827.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1430941477.696142.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1430941509.680939.jpg

To get the latch I had to buy the full vent window assembly
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1430941549.603398.jpg

Then I had my choice of the curved glass. Somehow 99% of the glass that I find here has weird almost burn marks on it, but I'm not sure of their origin.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1430941617.296023.jpg
safely thrown in the truck ready for the drive back to Dubai.

Slightly off topic, was at the ras Al khor car market to pick something up and found this.View attachment 1072793View attachment 1072794View attachment 1072795View attachment 1072796
View attachment 1072797 very clean body, but the interior looks to be done. Floor boards were solid with original looking rubber mat that I haven't seen in good condition in a long time. Unfortunately not for sale, but makes me want one.
Can you just slip that cruiser out the rear gate. And put it in the first ship to USA PLEASE!
That is nice!

Slightly off topic, was at the ras Al khor car market to pick something up and found this.View attachment 1072793View attachment 1072794View attachment 1072795View attachment 1072796
View attachment 1072797 very clean body, but the interior looks to be done. Floor boards were solid with original looking rubber mat that I haven't seen in good condition in a long time. Unfortunately not for sale, but makes me want one.

Very cool cruiser! Excellent resto Max!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom