1980 FJ40 Wiring Harness Rebuild (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

gcrump01

SILVER Star
Threads
Guys, trying to sort through some things on the wiring harness. Can anyone help me correct a few PO hack jobs?
019.jpg
020.jpg
021.jpg

I think the wire in the 2nd picture goes up through windshield frame to plug into the dome light. Maybe?

No idea still on 1, 3 or 4. Any guesses?

I can't help you with any of your questions, but wanted to comment on your excellent pictures and labeling/questions! Makes it simple enough for some of these gurus to know what you are asking! Good luck

Skip

If you can post up the wire colors, that will help reference the schematic. Hard to tell from the pictures unless you are really familiar with a bare harness.

Pic 1 - regular 2 connecter plug (1 horizontal & 1 vertical) 1 connecter has 1 wire blue w/ red other connecter has 2 wire - both white w/ black stripe
Pic 2 - bullet type connecter - 1 wire - green w/ red stripe
Pic 3 - round green plug w/ 2 mini connecters - 1 black wire, 1 white wire
Pics 4 & 5 - 1 black & 1 white wire - as noted above - this appears to go thru the floor under the drivers seat - maybe has something to do with catalytic converter

Hope that helps.

One more...

Wires going to small fuse box - 1 white with blue stripe and 1 black
Wires going to the brown connecter - 1 white w/ blue stripe & 1 black
Wires coming out of white connecter (plugged into brown) - 1 white w/ blue stripe & 1 black
Also - just to right of brown connecter - there is a much larger gauge wire that is also white with blue stripe - don't think the solid white wire connected to it means anything???
022.jpg

The diagram I have is 346Kb. When I post it here it's reduced to 40KB to fit the screen and thus pretty useless.
FJ40series 1981 USAand Canada.jpg

Send me an email with your email address and I'll send you the original wiring diagram (with the wire color codes). Makes life a lot easier.

Rudi
FJ40series 1981 USAand Canada.jpg

I have never seen a 1980 harness in person but:

Post #1: Second pic the two cut wires I think are for the light bulb to illuminate the headlight switch
Post #8: The little fuse block contains the fuses for the Amp Meter shunt. The other mess I believe is the remains of your fusible link.

I also think the green plug immediately following all your emissions plugs is one of two things. 1) Your cooling fan temp sensor, or 2) the idle circuit on your carb. Both of those are pieces of equipment people tend to permanently ground to bypass a malfunctioning emissions control computer (which is what it looks like the PO did). Everyone else is correct about the cat thermo sensor, this not plugged in will cause your AI system not to function properly.

OK - from the input here & reading wiring diagrams until I'm cross-eyed, this is where we are:
Pic 1 - probably radio
Pic 2 - wire goes through windshield to the interior light that mounts to the hardtop
Pic 3 - Either cooling fan sensor or idle circuit on carb
Pic 4 - thermo sensor for catalytic converter - attaches to plug in Pic 5
Pic 6 - What's left of the fusible link

Any other comments?

aking5371 - what is AI system?

Thanks for all the help. I'll get a build thread started & post a bunch of pics real soon.

Greg

The diagram I have is 346Kb. When I post it here it's reduced to 40KB to fit the screen and thus pretty useless.
View attachment 792035

Send me an email with your email address and I'll send you the original wiring diagram (with the wire color codes). Makes life a lot easier.

Rudi

Sir, could you mail that to me as well? yearounder@yahoo.com
Thank you!

Skip

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom