16 inch, split rims or one piece? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is a good thread on the yeah's and nay's of splits.

Rodroo has just raised another interesting point.

Which is without opening the splits every now and then you don't really have an idea of the condition of that tube inside.

At least with tubeless when you inspect your tyres before a trip its a done deal from the outside.

Last edited:
Each time I get a puncture on the splits it costs me 40NZD for a new tube and fitting. The punctures are normally caused, I am told, by small flakes of rust from the rim rubbing a hole in the tube. I am on the lookout for a set of steel rims ... not because I think it is expensive, because it isn't, but because I had to do this once a month for 4 months a couple of years back.

Each time I get a puncture on the splits it costs me 40NZD for a new tube and fitting. The punctures are normally caused, I am told, by small flakes of rust from the rim rubbing a hole in the tube. I am on the lookout for a set of steel rims ... not because I think it is expensive, because it isn't, but because I had to do this once a month for 4 months a couple of years back.

Yep. Rust can certainly be a big problem with splits.

And it can even cause these "Toyota safe-design splitrims" to become unsafe (and thereby represent a danger when airing up a freshly-fitted tyre).

I've overcome this rust issue long-term by hot-dip galvanising my wheels.

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom