100 getting hot in AZ....don't laugh! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need some advice....been struggling with this for too long. My ultra guage shows this truck running at 185 most of the time and 195 ish the rest of the time.
Then you have the times it gets hot. At extended idles, it will reach 220, no problem. I lose the compressor at 217 so it gets old pretty quickly.
Im struggling to determine the issue and hope someone else ran into the same.

I replaced the fan clutch with no difference. pressure test came back fine, no leaks.
I am going to install a fan for the condenser this weekend. While this will probably fix the issue, I hate covering up a problem. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Only thing I would think is maybe Tstat is acting up or maybe your temp sensor is bad. have you pressure tested your cooling system?

Need some advice....been struggling with this for too long. My ultra guage shows this truck running at 185 most of the time and 195 ish the rest of the time.
Then you have the times it gets hot. At extended idles, it will reach 220, no problem. I lose the compressor at 217 so it gets old pretty quickly.

I replaced the fan clutch with no difference. pressure test came back fine, no leaks.
I am going to install a fan for the condenser this weekend. While this will probably fix the issue, I hate covering up a problem. Any thoughts are appreciated.

When you replaced the fan clutch did you use the 'blue hub'?

I was thinking your vehicle might already have a condenser fan (maybe not)?

If your cap is good, pressure testing was OK then I would look first to your thermostat. Next...check the lower radiator hose, if it is old and soft (or does not have a spring reinforcement) it can partially collapse when the water temp gets high. We will assume your water pump is OK?

Check your coolant level and be sure you have a proper mix. Unless recently changed or filled you shouldn't have any 'air' in the system, but you can park the vehicle with the front as high as you can get it, radiator cap off....(let it idle for about 15 minutes) just to be sure.

As previously mentioned, your temperature sensor might also be faulty. The last thing (but you'd probably have codes) is your engine might be running lean at times.

When you replaced the fan clutch did you use the 'blue hub'?

I was thinking your vehicle might already have a condenser fan (maybe not)?

If your cap is good, pressure testing was OK then I would look first to your thermostat. Next...check the lower radiator hose, if it is old and soft (or does not have a spring reinforcement) it can partially collapse when the water temp gets high. We will assume your water pump is OK?

Check your coolant level and be sure you have a proper mix. Unless recently changed or filled you shouldn't have any 'air' in the system, but you can park the vehicle with the front as high as you can get it, radiator cap off....(let it idle for about 15 minutes) just to be sure.

As previously mentioned, your temperature sensor might also be faulty. The last thing (but you'd probably have codes) is your engine might be running lean at times.
I used the factory clutch....
It doesn't have a condenser fan. They removed them in 05 for some reason. That is what Im going to install this weekend.
I think you are correct in changing the t-stat and performing the other checks/services. I will do that as well.
I don't think the temp sensor is a problem as the guage Im using shows consistent numbers but you never know.

I have....and I purchased your kit last season. Gonna install everything this weekend. Im sure it will fix my troubles, just having a hard time believing this truck is healthy in the first place. I never like to mask a problem.
You mentioned in a post that you liked to sit in line at the boarder and that was your motivation. That means to me that you don't have issues in town doing normal things like I do. Maybe Im wrong.

The border wait was my motivation but I did have a problems last year just sitting in the high temp talking with a friend and I turned on the fan and cold air again. Mine is not a DD but this time of year when I do drive it the fan goes on every time I go anywhere.

The border wait was my motivation but I did have a problems last year just sitting in the high temp talking with a friend and I turned on the fan and cold air again. Mine is not a DD but this time of year when I do drive it the fan goes on every time I go anywhere.
Sorry to say........that makes me feel better. Thank Phil.

Hows your fan clutch??? Sounds like it's not engaging. I can idle all day 100% humidity 110F with AC blasting and not see anything higher than 195.

Hows your fan clutch??? Sounds like it's not engaging. I can idle all day 100% humidity 110F with AC blasting and not see anything higher than 195.

Chicago heat and Arizona heat not close

My 06 used to run warm waiting to cross the border at Mexicali. I would just hold a high idle for a bit to get the temps back in line and the AC a bit colder.

If you replace your thermostat add coolant and not the 50/50 blend Toyota, increase your coolant mix to 70%. Just my 2 cents.

If you replace your thermostat add coolant and not the 50/50 blend Toyota, increase your coolant mix to 70%. Just my 2 cents.
Other direction for better cooling, no? More water? But with a healthy system, you should be fine with 50/50.
I'd like to believe this, but with a brand new cooling system, (radiator , water pump, fan clutch, coolant, t-stat, most hoses, tees) and the factory auxiliary fan (OEM on the 2000), I still creep up near 200° when it's over 112° ambient and not anywhere near 100% humidity. I posted a graph of this somewhere recently of my real time summer afternoon commute temps.

I usually do 70% mix when I know a vehicle will be in a freezing area like below zero but why not try it the other way around it might work or help and if it doesn't you can always drain some and add water to dilute the mix or add the 50/50.

i had same issue last week (middle east) 110F (very Humid) in stuck traffic for an hour and half, what i know is when the truck reaches certain temperature, AC gets disconnected. mine reached 230F
i have extra fan front of the condenser and didn't help cuz of humid and heat. well lots of brand-new cars next to me had windows down cuz their cars overheated, i assumed its normal
what i did was pour/splash some water in the front condenser (radiator) and hold idle at 1000 rpm helped.

i had same issue last week (middle east) 110F (very Humid) in stuck traffic for an hour and half, what i know is when the truck reaches certain temperature, AC gets disconnected. mine reached 230F
i have extra fan front of the condenser and didn't help cuz of humid and heat. well lots of brand-new cars next to me had windows down cuz their cars overheated, i assumed its normal
what i did was pour/splash some water in the front condenser (radiator) and hold idle at 1000 rpm helped.
That situation makes sense to me. That's a long time at that temp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom