rear diff troubles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
first post here...I'll get to the cool stuff later...but, I'm on rear diff number three..... anyone else?

!? you wheeling on low rider rims?

I've heard reports of the rear diffs on these failing. Same diff in Taco and they are having the same problems. I here that even 4runner guys are breaking them too.

When the Trail Teams took the FJC through the Rubicon let's just say they didn't finish with the same diff they started with.

I don't know if it's the carrier or the teeth, but if I get an FJC it won't be with the factory electric locker. I would rather have an ARB in there due to strength concerns.

Some 80 guys have been finding that their electric lockers (I know, different diff) break with 37"+ tires and they move to the ARB.

I've heard reports of the rear diffs on these failing. Same diff in Taco and they are having the same problems. I here that even 4runner guys are breaking them too.

When the Trail Teams took the FJC through the Rubicon let's just say they didn't finish with the same diff they started with.

I don't know if it's the carrier or the teeth, but if I get an FJC it won't be with the factory electric locker. I would rather have an ARB in there due to strength concerns.

Some 80 guys have been finding that their electric lockers (I know, different diff) break with 37"+ tires and they move to the ARB.

If you are talking about the FJ Trail Teams that attended Rubithon with TLCA, that is patently false. And that was the only time the FJ Trail teams were on the Rubicon in 06.

So -- Wanna show your reference to that claim?

33" tires,ome lift,arb bumper,warn 9000,4+plus full skids, and no I'm not quite dumb enough to "wheel" on-road,yes I wheel and it's all desert\rock.....she's in gettin' the third diff. now....dumb comments not needed....a little insite would be nice

In fact...If your FJ isn't pin stripped by now....don't bother replying

I'll try and find the reference. Obviously I wasn't there with the trail team, so I can't give a first hand account.

I think it was on another forum (TTora, Yotatech, 120, or other) there was a discussion about the 8" rear diff with factory locker giving guys problems. Part of the discussion brought up the FJC's on the Rubicon and there were a couple of guys that mentioned the Trail Teams were replacing diffs. It is not an attack on the FJC, this happens to be a problem effecting any vehicle with the factory locked 8".

Check out post 23 and 24 woooody of the link that FirstToy provided.

Last edited:
DBS311 -- Checked the link. Wasn't aware of damage at TTORA Rubicon run. As for post 24, Andy said that both teams that were there had broken diffs. But it had happened prior to Rubithon, not at Rubithon.

I have 6500 miles on the truck and a good 4000 of those are off road....the diff. did not blow to the point of not getting home ( they say 2 teeth were off the 8" gear)...but the noise coming from rear was not pretty either....that was the first time......this time I was driving in town in 2 wheel drive taking a hard right when noise started comin from the rear....I called toyota and they sent a tow.....today they tell me it's the rear diff. and carrier(?)
It's friday damn it...I wanna' go wheelin.....thanks for the links... I guess It's not just me...like the dealer claimed.....

Whoops, misread that woooody.

Do we know what was causing the failure yet? If I get an FJC, I wanna know which direction to go. Factory locker or ARB.

From homedad's post, part of his problem was the carrier. +1 for the ARB.

woody, I see you are trying to instant message me.....my pc wont let me...something about popup blocker...and I could use some advise

DBS311,
If budget isn't an issue than the ARB lockers front & rear will be the strongest and fastest engaging. That applies to other trucks too, the ARB will beef up the diff- it isn't isolated to the FJC.

The factory locker will save you a grip of cash and the failures, while alarming, have been limited. There are alot of FJC's running out there just fine... it's not a crapshoot scenario that I know of.

I have repaired many 40 series and Hilux diffs.
What exactly broke in your rear diff?
Pinions are common on 40 and 60's and to some degree on Hilux.
Carrier failures seem to be rare. Only seen two so far.

I'm not dissin' the fj....I LOVE mine...and all I've ever owned are wheelers....blown diff. and all ...this truck is the sh**

Thanks for the info FirstToy.

Question..........how much does the factory locker cost as an option. I picked up a brochure after a test drive and it lists the locker as an option. So, am I able to get the base model and add the locker, or am I forced into one of the "packages"?

If this failure is applying to the ring gear an ARB is not going to fix it as you install the same gear set onto your ARB carrier.
And there are lots of welded and locked 8 inch gear sets running around on the street for years with no troubles other than wearing tires.
Manufacturing problem?

Hey homedad64 -- I don't have any other insight. I agree that the early ones had some issues, but I thought they resolved it.

ARB would fix carrier problems, but one or the ARB reps told me that for mine, he would just recommend a front ARB, and keep the factory rear locker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom