Condition of Martinez Loop? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sean

It looks like I am out. I am sitting here shivering like a mad man. I think I have some kinda bug.
You guys have a good time and conquer a rock or 2 for me

Ahhh....that sucks man, but it seems to be going around. One of the girls at work today has it.

Hope you get to feeling better.

Take care,
Sean

Hey Brian, since this is turning into 3 vehicles (assuming Spike's still coming) you want me to post this on AZVJC? It'll probably net us at least a few more rigs.

Up to you.

Sean

Assume.

-Spike

Doesn't matter to me Sean...of course it is midnight...so everyone that is wheeling tomorrow is probably sleeping by now (except for the guy who lost track of time while BS'ing and drinking beer at a buddies house.....).

If anyone wants to follow me up Box canyon in the morning, try to reach me on either CB 4 or 146.460 before 9am. I'm not planning on stopping longer than it takes to drop some air from the tires once I hit Price Rd.

The US60 Eastbound is closed and/or restricted from Mesa Dr. to at least Greenfield.

Plan accordingly. :)

Sean

Pics are slowly moving from camera to hard drive...slow process when they are pushing 10 megs each....absolutely beautiful day! Weather was just about perfect, got off the trail at a reasonable hour....and very little carnage. I think the only 2 things that were broken was the limit strap on the front suspension of Seans buggy, and the drivers side mirror on my jeep which got up close and personal with the wall on the luge bypass.

Good seein' the familiar faces and meeting the new ones.

Look familiar?

IMG_0361x.jpg

;)

I'll second the sentiment....great group today. We had a total blast! BIG THANK YOU to Brian for putting it together. That's one of my favorite trails.

Can't wait to get out and do it again. Nice to meet you Bret (and family :) ) and Ben. You guys BOTH did awesome today. Love both your rigs. :)

Hopefully I'll have some pics up tomorrow.

Take care,
Sean

White Elephant 3- Martinez 0.

Well, I think I scraped my diff once.

The bypass attempted to eat my truck, but we tamed it.

-Spike

Ben's FJ80 gettin' it! :)

100_0760.jpg

'Nother angle:

100_0759.jpg

Obligatory scenery pic:

100_0767.jpg

The 4Runner we met out there.....and yes, the Luge bypass is pretty darn tight now. It will only get worse unless we divert the water at the top.

100_0778.jpg

Bret's very capable Tacoma double cab:

100_0779.jpg

100_0737.jpg

Brian making yellow belly ledge look WAAAY too easy:

100_0743.jpg
.....he didn't even lift a tire. :)

Unfortunately, we didn't get hardly any good shots of Brian's Jeep since he just cruised through everything before anyone could get close!

Twisted mine up pretty good:

100_0750.jpg

Another one I liked:

100_0712.jpg

The up ain't bad, but the drop off on the backside is what'll get cha. ;)

Time for contemplation. Can I actually drive off into the abyss without rolling?

100_0716.jpg

Link to all the pics:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v125/blt4rox/Martinez Canyon 02-24-2007/?start=0

Sean

Nice pics guys! I spent the weekend putting together my rear bumper (see bumper thread). I need to do Martinez again. I only did the loop once, and I didn't have a lot of seat time on any trail other than Chiva before I did it. I think some of the off camber and steep downhills (Luge bypass) scared me some. YES, I can admit I am a little afraid of that trail. At this point though, my driving skills have greatly increased as has the capability of my rig. I need to hit Martinez again and conquer those fears.
The first time I hit the Luge bypass, I had just read an article by Bill Burke (supposed 4x4 guru) and he had talked about using engine and tranny braking on steep declines and not brakes. My dumb ass tried that on the Luge bypass and picked up some speed real quick. Remember that, Spike, you were one of the people at the top yelling for me to slow down. Well I finally got it slowed down, but not before I got a little sideways and left a skidmark in my chonies. I haven't been back.

I'd like to hit that trail again before I go to Moab in May.

. . . I had just read an article by Bill Burke (supposed 4x4 guru) and he had talked about using engine and tranny braking on steep declines and not brakes. . .

Just remember that Bill Burke is a *self proclaimed* guru. While I won't say he is an idiot, he has been known to get his panties in a wad about things of which he doesn't have a clue.

There isn't a whole lot you can do on the bypass...keep it pointed down hill and do what you can to keep your tires from locking up. Personally, I go down in 2nd gear and whenever it starts going a direction I don't want it to (either the back end sliding out or the front end not turning when I want), I give it a bit of gas which straitens it up every time. The big thing is to not build alot of speed, because you really can't slow down until you are at the bottom.

I have a 100 or so pics....all of which were shot in RAW, with file sizes pushing 10 megs per pic...but didn't get the post processing done on them (save for what is posted above). But the real problem is that I need a host. Actually, I need to get off my ass and finish the website I am working on.....

The first time I hit the Luge bypass, I had just read an article by Bill Burke (supposed 4x4 guru) and he had talked about using engine and tranny braking on steep declines and not brakes. My dumb ass tried that on the Luge bypass and picked up some speed real quick.

LOL, we were discussing that episode as we were looking down the Luge, explaining to the uninitiated folk in the 4Runner what NOT to do. :D I didn't use your name, just 'some random unexperienced 80 owner'. That was scary at the time, but fun to rehash.

-Spike

I just remembered a discussion in the 80 forum about putting the tranny in reverse to go down a hill (forward). I'd love to meet someone who believes in this method and run them down the Luge bypass once.

-Spike

I agree with you guys....for the most part. If you have super low gears though....you can just drive off.

Last time, I put it in just the Atlas (pretty sure that's around 116:1) and just drove down. Not sure if I used the brakes or not.

All depends on your setup...but I admittedly don't know who Burke is or what he drives.

Sean

I just remembered a discussion in the 80 forum about putting the tranny in reverse to go down a hill (forward). I'd love to meet someone who believes in this method and run them down the Luge bypass once.

-Spike

My guess is that recommendation is from what works in their experience, IE, works great in their driveway, so should work on any decent!:rolleyes:

Thanks Brian, Sean, Stacey and Ben. Stacey, you can spot me anytime! (It will give me an excuse for getting myself stuck). I hope the Japanese food was good Sean.

We had a great time. It couldn't have been a more beautiful AZ day. Great scenery, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom