Dusy Ershim 2015 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

fine, but downplaying the concern of the poster and labeling them a greenie troll isn't exactly a levelheaded response to that particular post, now is it... practice what you preach;, calm down... the concern here isn't political in nature...

no doubt, but to think the rules don't apply enough to not check...shameful....

I think you are over-reacting. Remember, as far as anyone using the trail from the south end is concerned, the sign says "campfires permitted". No one is being disrespectful or anything else. It sounds from the discussion that even the forest service does not know the right answer, but the last word before people start the trail is the FOREST SERVICE SIGN on the post at the start of the trail.

I think most people are happy to follow the rules and regulations, and no one is interested in starting a wild fire in such an inaccessible place. But if the rule is no fires, then the signage should reflect that. And believe me if the forest service in Prather at the headquarters says "it's a gray area" and the sign at the trail head says "campfires permitted" how do you think most people interpret that?

To get back to the actual content of this thread, this is an amazing trail with a little bit of everything for everybody. It is the best 4WD experience in California and we all have a responsibility to keep it that way.

Bad, son #2 and I were on the Rubithon this year in the wagon run (60 and 80) and wish we had had a chance to talk more. This write up is in general very inspiring, thanks for doing it. I, too, got to benefit from getting to (slightly) know Rick and Andy on this year's Con. Doing Dusy Ershim is on my bucket list. Pretty sure that between my two sons and I we'll have three wagons on next years Rubicon (two 80's and a 60). Maybe we'll be up for a run on Dusy Ershim next year if anyone's so inclined. I'll be making a few more mods to my 60 based on my experience during Rubithon. Like you last year, this year's Rubithon represents my first 'real' trail run. So I've got a lot to learn yet. But just reading this thread has taught me a lot. Since you're from Reno maybe you're a member of Battle Born Cruisers. Son #1 Justin, @justintpryor , just joined and went to last night's meeting for the first time. He's in school at UNR and is looking to get plugged into the community. Summer school kept him from this year's Rubithon, but not next year...

We will have to chat more on next years Rubithon. I am not a member of Battle Born Cruisers but have attended some of their runs and do plan on joining. I will look for your son Justin on a future run and will shoot him a PM too. If he doesn't have a place to wrench in Reno or the tools needed for a certain job, I can definitely help out with that.

Above 9000 feet, it isn't that dry.
tell that to the crews fighting the Rough fire. I think they might disagree.

It has been well established...or should have been by now...that fires are NOT permitted after July 1st this season, period, end trans. Don't like that, TS.
The fact that a few FS employees are ill-informed is irrelevant...pathetic but irrelevant.

If your illegal campfire is spotted by a helo crew you'll get a very rude...and wet...awakening.

Enjoyed the trip report, great write up! Dusy certainly is epic and I had a full belly of wheeling after I went a few years ago. I'm finally ready to do it again and will have to bug Andy and Rick for one of their future trips.

We will have to chat more on next years Rubithon. I am not a member of Battle Born Cruisers but have attended some of their runs and do plan on joining. I will look for your son Justin on a future run and will shoot him a PM too. If he doesn't have a place to wrench in Reno or the tools needed for a certain job, I can definitely help out with that.

Thanks, Bad, much appreciated and will probably be needed!

no doubt, but to think the rules don't apply enough to not check...shameful...I say this to those who would have done so with disregard...ignorance in no excuse...it IS more damp at elevation...but the ground is still covered in friable dust, and I don't trust city slickers to keep their s*** under control...best defense is to not be there...
It has been well established...or should have been by now...that fires are NOT permitted after July 1st this season, period, end trans. Don't like that, TS.
The fact that a few FS employees are ill-informed is irrelevant...pathetic but irrelevant.

If your illegal campfire is spotted by a helo crew you'll get a very rude...and wet...awakening.
I guess you have a difficult time reading. The FOREST SERVICE FIRE RESTRICTION ORDER, already linked in this thread, clearly states that fires ARE ALLOWED in the wilderness areas bordering both sides of the dusy. Wilderness permits, fire permits and the FS order with exhibits were all printed out and in possession in the truck.
Will the fake slim shadies please sit down.
PS I probably put out fires when I was 19 that would have ate you in your bed @LAMBCRUSHER so keep the city slicker comments at bay

Last edited:
I should have written a little more about our last supper. I have always liked lamb and come to accept that all lamb will have a very light “gamey” taste to it…which is nothing compared to venison (especially Nevada mule deer). However, the lamb that Ben’s kids raised was out of this world. So tender, rich and flavorful, it had no detectible traces of the typical “gamey” taste often associated with NZ imports. It literally melted in your mouth. It was hilarious hearing Ben tell us what he and the kids went through to raise “Salt” and “Pepper.” I thought you just let them graze in a pasture for 9 months but that is not the case. These lambs were fed only the finest grass and grain, and exercised, washed, and massaged on a regular basis. All for the sake of making the meat more tender. I bet every pound of meat had at least 1 hour of human labor associated with it. Ben said his kids are going to raise another pair next year and we already have requested a pre-order for ¼ of one (how ‘bout “Dusy” and “Ershim” for names?).

Regina did to very well on the trip and put up with everything from getting bounced around in the passenger seat , never ending unpacking/repacking of our tent and sleeping bags, and various cooking/cleaning duties. She also had to deal with seeing brown packages from UPS on our doorstep on almost a daily basis the few weeks leading up to Dusy as I finished some last minute preparations on the cruiser. I definitely owe her a trip of her picking very soon. She did have fun and said she now actually prefers Dusy over the Rubicon. I just need to get her driving on the trail now.

When you go on an adventure like running Dusy, a special bond is formed with the group and I feel honored to call all members of our expedition my “cruiser brothers.”

Thanks Cameron. Andy told me about your Jarbridge or Bust! thread and I spent 3 hours reading it just a few nights ago. Your awesome write-up of that journey inspired me to do something more than the standard post trip report on our Dusy run.

Awesome write-up! 1/4 lamb has been earmarked for the Dusy brethren/women in NV! Dusy and Ershim are great names! lol. I gotta say, your wife was definitely a super-trooper! Lets just say my wife was stunned that you lived to tell the story!

Nice thread! Im jealous! I'm assuming that this will go on again next year. Hopefully, if you guys can take another rig, I'd like to join.

Not saying that Rubicon had made me an expert this year, but it did show me how to be better, careful, and patient driver. And it's a great trip with great people! Rubi was on my things to do before and now it's Dusy!

Thanks for sharing Kris.

Last edited:
Great trip report. I was invited on this run once, but broken transmissions, upgrades, a little boy and life happen. Hopefully, I'll be invited again someday.

Kudos to you guys.

Trust me, it ain't pristine. BUT, the running gear is all done, tranny, is new. It has a new front axle with MT knuckles, pre-TG longfields, new steering with the same new steering box as Andrew. Fuel injection, front and rear ARB lockers and, thanks to lcwizard, a completely rebuilt rear end cross-member. I should make it with some spare parts...

I will be at Sourgrass this weekend for a tester.

Just because it came with silly paint when I got it doesn't mean that there isn't a date with some rattle-can olive drab just around the next trail.

EDIT: Oh yea, new sending unit too...thanks. ;)

cruiser.jpg

Last edited:
Looks ready!

I am planning on Dusy next year...

:hmm:

Planning...that's a good start! Any ideas on dates?? My boys and I have also been thinking Dusy...

I will be doing the Rubithon in 2016 and since I enjoyed your write up so much, I will make every effort to do the Dusy, if you guys plan another trip next year. It is on my to do list.
Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom