A fancy rear bumper (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking to get a rear bumper for my LX. I know about slee and I know about ARB, but are there any others? If so what are they? also how does arb and slee and any others compare? Which do you like best and why? Any aluminum options or will I have to build my own?

Bump it off road. I dig slees design though out of all of them.

Bump it off road or 4x4labs would get my vote! Both build great products and both are great guys! I would recommend dissent off roads but the rear is not ready yet:)

Slee's products are great designs that are stunningly well built.

If your going with a swing out than I would definitely look @ 4x4 labs! Most other designs are very inconvenient to say the least. I have had both types of setups on my rigs and 4x4labs swing out design is by far the best I have had!
There are no aluminum options that I'm aware of and likely won't be, the cost for a good rear bumper with swing out is going to cost you around $2500, an aluminum version of the same bumper would have to be in the $3500 range to make it profitable and I dont think there are enough customers willing to pay that much to make it worth while for manufactures to produce.

I'm looking to get a rear bumper for my LX. I know about slee and I know about ARB, but are there any others? If so what are they? also how does arb and slee and any others compare? Which do you like best and why? Any aluminum options or will I have to build my own?

I am curious what you decided on for a rear bumper?

If your going with a swing out than I would definitely look @ 4x4 labs! Most other designs are very inconvenient to say the least. I have had both types of setups on my rigs and 4x4labs swing out design is by far the best I have had!
There are no aluminum options that I'm aware of and likely won't be, the cost for a good rear bumper with swing out is going to cost you around $2500, an aluminum version of the same bumper would have to be in the $3500 range to make it profitable and I dont think there are enough customers willing to pay that much to make it worth while for manufactures to produce.

For a "currently" available rear... my vote is for Christo's @sleeoffroad .. Bumper lines perfectly match the rigs lines and don't tilt/angle like most others out there. If I'm building/paying $1500+ for ANY bumper I expect the lines to match.

@benc au contraire mon frere Once my rear is complete. I will build at least one AL rear for @spressomon as a token of long support and friendship. As always.... my motto... If I'm gonna build one.. MIGHT AS WELL BUILD 5.. HA! I'm about 6 weeks out on my 100 bumpers, but I have had several inquiries (over 50) on an aluminum version, the market is there. While maybe not for a "crawler" rig, definitely viable for any Expo rig IMO.

J

I picked up a BIOR rear bumper. Super stout design and well thought out. Mike was a super cool guy to work with and had no issues with my custom requests. He set a time line and shipped 2 weeks before he originally quoted. I wanted Ben's (Dissent) rear bumper but wasn't sure when it would get released and I have some big wheelin plans coming up soon and needed the rear bumper asap. Love the BIOR rear bumper, but actually like Ben's more. Wish it would have been ready to go sooner.

^^ Brad, how far out would you say your BIO rear bumper is over stock? Do you have the swing out?

I ordered mine and should have it in 6-8 weeks. But I just realized with my ARB front bumper I'm already somewhat tight on space in the garage.

^^ Brad, how far out would you say your BIO rear bumper is over stock? Do you have the swing out?

I ordered mine and should have it in 6-8 weeks. But I just realized with my ARB front bumper I'm already somewhat tight on space in the garage.
Don't know how far out it sticks over stock. It's sitting on my garage floor right next to my BenC front bumper. I don't think the BIOR sticks out past stock at all by just looking at it. Both need to get bolted up soon. I have a pile of parts in the garage ready for install but just don't have the time to install any of it.

Bump It Offroad. Mike is a great guy that makes great products. I have his rear bumper with dual swing aways: DS ladder with jerry can carrier, PS has the spare tire with hi lift carrier. Very solid bumper. I did look at Slee, ARB also and they make solid products but opted in on a BIOR group buy on MUD as it was a better price than the others. Really happy with it and also considering purchasing a roof rack from him as well.

For a "currently" available rear... my vote is for Christo's @sleeoffroad .. Bumper lines perfectly match the rigs lines and don't tilt/angle like most others out there. If I'm building/paying $1500+ for ANY bumper I expect the lines to match.

@benc au contraire mon frere Once my rear is complete. I will build at least one AL rear for @spressomon as a token of long support and friendship. As always.... my motto... If I'm gonna build one.. MIGHT AS WELL BUILD 5.. HA! I'm about 6 weeks out on my 100 bumpers, but I have had several inquiries (over 50) on an aluminum version, the market is there. While maybe not for a "crawler" rig, definitely viable for any Expo rig IMO.

J
I agree the slee bumper looks better on the 100 series but the covience of 4x4labs swingouts is better IMHO.

I didn't say there was no market for the aluminum bumpers but I think the market would slim down once they see the price.
I personally would not want an aluminum as the rear of my bumper gets a lot of abuse and I don't feel would hold up for my needs. There would be several things to consider when designing an aluminum rear bumper, strength of the swing outs and recievier would be my biggest concern! Also, structurally aluminum is much more finicky on the weld joints, the welder must be dialed perfectly to achieve a structurally sound weld.
I think an aluminum steel hybrid may be a decent option but again, is it really worth the extra work and cost to save a few lbs. I do feel there is a place for aluminum on these rigs but feel the bumpers are not one of them.
just my opinion, take it or leave it. I would like to see what you come up with if you end up building an aluminum bumper!

I agree the slee bumper looks better on the 100 series but the covience of 4x4labs swingouts is better IMHO.

I didn't say there was no market for the aluminum bumpers but I think the market would slim down once they see the price.
I personally would not want an aluminum as the rear of my bumper gets a lot of abuse and I don't feel would hold up for my needs. There would be several things to consider when designing an aluminum rear bumper, strength of the swing outs and recievier would be my biggest concern! Also, structurally aluminum is much more finicky on the weld joints, the welder must be dialed perfectly to achieve a structurally sound weld.
I think an aluminum steel hybrid may be a decent option but again, is it really worth the extra work and cost to save a few lbs. I do feel there is a place for aluminum on these rigs but feel the bumpers are not one of them.
just my opinion, take it or leave it. I would like to see what you come up with if you end up building an aluminum bumper!

Different strokes... HA!

Not worried one bit about welding the aluminum. Cert welded and inspected it for years. I have WPS' & PQR's for several weld processes for aluminum. I prefer pulsed MIG with my push/pull gun to any other. It is a different animal all together as you know and needs to be treated and designed as such.

While aluminum is not your go play in the rocks and throw caution to the wind material, it can take quite a beating. Perfect example is the Aluminess bumpers. I got to spend some time around an FJC and Taco rear bumper with swing arms. They were very impressive and remarkably stout, not to mention aesthetically eye catching. Always intriguing to see something other than black painted steel. They sell for basically the same money as our steel products IIRC. This was a couple years ago and they were made of 1/4" outer shells with 3/8" and 1/2" supporting/structural components.

Some will love it, others will hate it. No different than products available now.

J

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom