Previous Owner Repairs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Toyota had the wood burners as well (postWWII) ...would be a cool thing wouldnt it.
They did it in Australia .
"Perth, Western Australia, 1981. A Toyota diesel Land Cruiser fitted with dual firebox gas producer being tested. The unit has both an updraft generator for charcoal fuel and a downdraft generator for wood chips. The two are coupled so that gas from the wood chips passes through the burning charcoal and is purified of tars before entering the engine. For short runs, only the charcoal generator is lit. It is efficient, quick starting, and handles variable loads with little change in gas quality. For long runs, both fireboxes are lit. The gas formed by the downdraft generator supplements that from the updraft generator. The downdraft generator has three rows of air inlets (tuyeres). By unplugging the different rows a wide array of fuels and horsepowers can be accommodated. The unit shown was sized for use on an 8-ton truck "
hydrogen_generator_gasf88f.gif

Cheers
Doc Peter do Little ;) ( former a. greenspan )

Maybe not a previous owner (as it was me - but I guess I am the PO now) but a cashed strapped uni student who was working as a builders labourer - and thought a cheap way to put on Donaldson Air Cleaner as a snorkel was to use some 90mm PVC pipe left over at the building site (Never mind the occy strap holding the number plate on).

6187806544_a9ae51e0c0.jpg

Cheers Dobster

well i'm on a roll tonight punters; so while there still beer in the fridge and photos in my camera thought i may give this thread a little bump (things have been quiet in the hollow). hope these of some amusement

030.jpg

033.jpg

036.jpg

from the top....

another take on an exhaust; that piece of waterpipe is welded to the manifold
more exhaust variations
don't mind the chassis repair. the gem here is that broken main leaf simply welded to the leaf below it!

some more below....

032.jpg

043.jpg

044.jpg

from the top....

a bronzed on patch on a f motor lower radiator hardline
homemade doorhandle. i'm tempted to pull this one and put it back to work
possibly my fathers work. i remember as a youngster this patch being a vivid red coke can

last 3 below....

042.jpg

040.jpg

035.jpg

from the top....

piece of wire used to plug the hole in an f motor coreplug
another coreplug fashioned from an old silver coin (you may be able to make out the kangaroo and emu) this one not tojo, from a stationary engine but i couldnt resist while on the topic
and couldn.t think where else to post this. both these pedals are worn paper thin to the point the clutch pedal is starting to curl away

i will also add that the inspiration to start this thread a couple years ago came when i was replacing failed rear exhaust manifold studs on a 2h diesel. this is reasonably common and entails removing the head to sort it properly. anyways i remembered my neighbours 47 2h that had been running for some years with a large builders g clamp positioned above the head effecting this repair. some time later i quizzed him about same only to learn (somewhat unexpectedly) that the motor had been rebuilt and a more orthodox repair was now in place. the g clamp was hanging in the shed and he offered to mock it up for a pic if i wished but i declined at the time.

sure there plenty more classic PO repairs out there

Great stuff west aussie I will have to remember the concrete radiator repair next time I'm in the never never with a leaker. The penny makes a nice welsh plug but not sure if I would lose one of my two up coins for the fix.
Cheers and keep them coming mate

Last edited:
from the top above

*a random old mild steel cuphead bold doing service through the spring hanger with the 'failsafe' wire twitch on the steering pitman above
*wire punched through the roof and under the mirror (please dont ask, that mirror going in my 25) to hold the roof down
*the obvious

and below one of my favourites, a landcruiser rim that has been drilled out for a five stud application of some sort, (wonder how that worked) i found it back in 6 stud mode doing sterling service under a 1948 chev ute

022.jpg

found this on a tip today whilst fencing nearby. mighty battered now but did the job in the day. some rattly old roads in these parts punters!

012.JPG 013.JPG

found this among some old axle assemblies and tojo junk i collected from a long abandoned prospector/miners camp. for the life of me i cant work out you even do this much damage to a fully floating rear hub? classic!
004.JPG
005.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom