Previous Owner Repairs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
well punters i have been thinking about starting this thread for some time. being on a bit of a technological roll at the minute i thought now may be the time. basically i thought to document some of the rough repairs, the previous owner mechanics, that are to be found on all the old toyotas that led the life they were built for. not sure this is really the right forum but im certainly more at home here and it has been commented things have been a little slow in the hollow. i hope you all find a few images to add to this.

lets start on an fj25 flavour and a piece of my fathers work. slotting an fj25 gearbox into a 1963 fj45; just keep cutting with the oxy until it fits! (more on this conversion another day)
P1010055.jpg

one of my personal favourites; the `get you home` tailshaft bolts that never got changed
P1010056.jpg

now a fairly common one in my part of the world. ive seen several variations on the same theme. the firewall hole for access to the rear coreplug. pretty much mandatory really. youve got to think that your old tojo did not get the maintenance and love she deserved if you havnt got one of these.
P1010051.jpg

an unusual take on a thermostat housing. (ive seen gm replacements used also)
P1010046.jpg

3 different variations of exhaust systems constructed using old steel water pipe
P1010047.jpg
P1010048.jpg
P1010050.jpg

ive got a few more but my computer seems stuck in the slow lane. later. hope these are an agreeable size pic, i really dont know what im doing all that much. feel free to throw rocks at me but please do so in laymans speach.

Here is mine, The fixed all the rust in the rear with a big peace of angle iron and some new sheet metal. It is very solid and the rear opening is very straight.

1. The blue arrows, the angle iron is not centered. It extends about 2 inches further on one side then the other. No clue why they would not have centered it.

2. The red arrows. The corners were replaced, but they are not welded but actually brazed in. with what looks like a copper type brazing.
rearsill.jpg

Not a lnadcruiser, but we just bought a 92 toyota pickup for my son. They replaced the clutch. They did not drop the trans, they supported it at that height and moved the truck forward to separate from the engine. The gear shifters were in the way so instead of pulling those out they cut the trans hump so the trans with shifters could slide back enough to replace the clutch. We welded the metal back in, maybe it was a great trail fix, but still why cut the body over pulling the shifters out.

haha i like them. must have been a run on those `aftermarket` exhaust systems at some time! this one out of a 2h 5spd box. try a homemade pto cover with a filler plug welded on. very handy for when the alloy trans housing is stripped threadless at the filler plug and the plug loctited into place.
P1010057.jpg

haha i like them. must have been a run on those `aftermarket` exhaust systems at some time! this one out of a 2h 5spd box. try a homemade pto cover with a filler plug welded on. very handy for when the alloy trans housing is stripped threadless at the filler plug and the plug loctited into place.

So what is that H55F out of? A HJ47? Is the shifter towards front or the back? I'm looking for a shifter from a 4X series. Lookinf for the whole H55F but I get the filling the one in the picture might not be in teh greatest shape.

Depending on the weather I'll try and take some pictures of the fill holes on a couple of early FJ40 rear axles. Have one that it was sealed with a some kind of one time plug. I drove from Arizona to Washington state to pick this cruiser up. I went to check the oil in the diff only to find it sealed. Took a chance and tow it home. Never over heated so I guess there is oil in there.

Here's the custom bumper I removed from my latest cruiser. I'll have to get pictures of the heavy steel strap that is welded behind the front bumper.

These don't compare to the thermostat housing. That one is classic. I'll have to look around and see what I can come up with.
IMG_0341.jpg
IMG_0345.jpg

that box out of an HJ75. 2H diesel 5 speed. the model that succeeded the HJ47 in aust. at any rate, from 85 till about 90 i think. that example 89; i swapped it out a couple months ago. HJ75 our main old work hacks on the farm - running 3 of them at the minute. when the boxes wear thay have a tendancy to throw oil forward from the transfer into the gearbox. it is common practice to run a hydraulic oil line between the 2 filler plugs as an overflow for the gearbox. none of which has anything to do with 25s and early 40s.

was considering saving this next image for a thread on my 64 fj45 one day; but it does belong here. i pulled both these gems off her a number of years ago.

on the left is a homemade engine mount from 10mm plate oxy cut and bent. not from a backyard drivetrain conversion mind you but to replace the original piece that holds a 135 motor in a 64 frame. the original must have somehow been lost during an engine swapover. this piece of engineering had also failed (it is mild steel not gussetted at all) and when i collected the sad old tojo the fan was slowly wearing its way through the fan cowl. (i know, amazing it still had the cowl, many dont). i believe this is what finally stopped her; why she was pushed to the far corner of the shed awaiting further attention that never came.

on the right is a homemade drive plate. held on with only 2 bolts and sporting a felt (old hat i believe) gasket it sufficed to keep dust out of the wheel bearings and not much else. what happened to the original god only knows. no provision for a spline of course. the front axles and driveshaft had long been removed and thrown away when i found her. 2wd only.

since joining this forum i wish i had pictures of the 64 as found and with both these engineering marvels in situ.
P1010058.jpg

Here is what I found holding my calipers on my 77 axles I picked up about 1/2 inch of some sort of custom made washer. Hopefully I will never sell mine so the stuff I did does not show up on this thread one day.
calliperbolts.jpg

that box out of an HJ75. 2H diesel 5 speed. the model that succeeded the HJ47 in aust.

Okay rub it in another cruiser we didn't get here in the US:frown: I didn't think I saw the hand brake on the back of the transfer case. I ahve a couple of 40 series full floater axles and H41 which were brought here from Australia. Wouldn't a nice 2H mated to a H55F/split transfer case.

While I don't believe I ever had a home made engine mount my 79 came with after market A/C. Must of had a problem getting the compressor installed. The front right motor mount was it's just to bad all three of the bolts were missing on the engine side.

I also need to cut the three welds the PO used to keep the glove box from rattling. Something I need to do before next May when I will have owned it for ten years. I thinking I should film it like Geraldo Rivera when he opened up Al Capone's safe. I wonder what a old pat rat nest is worth:rolleyes:

I will say everybody has a unfair advantage in their PO repairs have a lot of rust to help make them look really bad. Best I can come up with is faded paint:rolleyes:

agriculturally inspired engine mount. this old stalwart took a flying leap somewhere in living memory and the chassis has a major twist. im told it took a lot of coaxing to get the dogs back onto the tray after this little incident!
P1010054.jpg

:hmm:....
...with such repairs the german police and the german TÜV
( they control all cars for safty in a 2 year period) would withdraw me
immediately from circulation. :rolleyes:
Cheers
Peter

And another Aussie farmers mod.
I dont know what they carted on my old ute to have to do this to reinforce the chassis. Notice the rear springs 11 + 2. & the muffler support wires.
fj25 chassia.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom