Help with FOA review (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am getting ready to purchase everything needed to 4 link my FJ40. I was originally set on Kings and just recently saw some things about FOA shocks. I see that they are in Vegas and about half the price. I know King is the best but Hal the price means maybe a little more towards something else. I looked for reviews and most all came up negative, but almost all the reviews were from 2010 and before. Nothing newer except for one guy from Another toyota blog. So I thought I would ask here if anybody has any recent experience with them. Thank you.

I've got their air bumps on my 40. They are working great.

I'm also going to use them on the front of my scout project

That being said, king shocks are the best..

Thanks Mace.

Triangulated rear with air bumps, johnny joints and most likely FOA 2.5" coilovers. I say most likely because I have a couple people chirping in my ear that they are junk. They don't give me any real evidence other than " I heard" or " I know a guy who ran them" of course both guys run King! I do believe that Kings are the best. But they should be at that price. I am also looking at ORI STX struts. I like the idea of that you don't need bumps or sway bars but the price is way up there. But guys are saying they are very easy to dial in. A lot easier than a coilover. I'm not a suspension expert and I have a close friend who is an amazing fabricator and has done a few suspensions for guys over the years. Everything from airbags on a slammed 50 merc to one off off road rigs. He is the guy driving the bus here. He wants to design and build one. So I volunteered the FJ40. Plus I have always liked the look of it. I want a low center of gravity and still run 38-40" tire.

I've been reading a LOT ! about Oris and every single one owning those it's extremely happy with them so far .. it's a brilliant concept providing means for a simple configuration ..

Please take another look on them and hopefully that route ..

Yes I've been able to contact a few recent buyers of these. They were happy so far. I also tried emailing the company but they haven't responded as of yet. This will most likely be the way I go.

ORI's are bad ass..

I couldn't pass them up. I priced the ORI SX struts, Kings, Fox, and Race Runner. All had me out the door for over 2K and the ORI was almost 3K. I bought 4 FOA 14" travel 2 1/2" remote reservoir coil overs for $600.00. I figure I will try them out and see what happens. I've had them for about 2 months now hanging in my garage and no leaks. Rebuild kits have been ordered and a local 4X shop who builds ultra 4 cars is going to help me rebuild them the first time. He says they work just fine as long as you rebuild them every year or so. For the price I can't go wrong. Even if it turns out to be a bad move I'll bet I could sell them for $400.00 down the road and jump into another brand that will bolt right up. We will see. Thanks everybody.

I have FOA on my current buggy, that being said they are a functioning inexpensive coilover which gives you the ability to run dual spring rates and really dial in your suspension. For me when I bought them they ended up sitting in the box for a year before installing them, when I finally did install them 1 dumped its oil as soon as I filled it with nitrogen, and a few monthsater they all leak. I have to think that it is partly due to them sitting in a box with no charge for a year. Also I don't like the acme threads at all, I would definitely upgrade to the fine thread if I did it again. The slider is not very long and gets caught on the large acme threads. I think if you order them with all the upgrades they can be a decent affordable option and they have always provides good customer service.

All that being said I bought ORI's for my current fj40 build! I am very excited about these. There only downside is that there is a decent wait time to getting them! If you end up wanting ORI's let me know, I am working to become a dealer for ORI.

Not trying to promote in your post but I am also now a Ruff Stuff dealer and would be happy to get you the best pricing possible on the parts you need to get your linked suspension all setup. If I can help let me know!

Thanks Geared. I'll let you know.

Another brand of coilover to consider is ADS, I have seen these in person at WeRock and they are top notch quality. The cool thing about them is that they only offer 1 line of shock they don't differentiate a consumer vs race line they only make race quality shocks and that's it.

I had 2.5 remote rez foas for about a month and never mounted them. All of the shock bodies were a different length, there were dents everywhere, took them 3 months to get them to me, half of the c clips at the mounts were mangled and half on and none had the same travel...... Traded them the hell away.

Hope theyve sorted their s*** and yours will be good.

D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom