Bay Area, CA to Moab, UT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Mudders!

Me and my family and Landcrshr are making our first trip to Moab in mid April. For those that have made the trip, what is the best route to take and where could we camp around half way? Should we take 80 or 50? I have two little kids, so I'd like to break up the drive into two days and camp somewhere roughly in the middle. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Last edited:
50 and when you get past the town of Austin look for the natural hot springs in the area in the desert. Get buzzed by jet fighters past Fallon, look for old historic buildings like "the lazy B".
I like ALL of these!

Does the hot spring have a name?

Diana's Punch Bowl, is that it?

I thought that'd get your attention :)
I did a quick search and this got my attention:

walkabout09-133.jpg

Hi all,

SIZZLE, what is on the agenda once you arrive in Moab? How long will you be there?

I actually will be arriving in Moab on April 11th, then camping at Devil's Kitchen starting on the 12th.

Regards,

Alan

QUOTE="SIZZLE, post: 9647249, member: 73253"]Hey Mudders!

Me and my family and Landcrshr are making our first trip to Moab in mid April. For those that have made the trip, what is the best route to take and where could we camp around half way? Should we take 80 or 50? I have two little kids, so I'd like to break up the drive into two days and camp somewhere roughly in the middle. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks![/QUOTE]

We are planning on arriving the 12th and leaving the 18th. We are going to run White Rim Tuesday to Wednesday but otherwise no set plans. I'd like to visit Arches, see a dinosaur track, some petroglyphs and generally explore the area.

What's on your agenda?

The best dinosaur tracks are up at the Fisher Mesa area. Just east of moab above castel valley.

From the Bay Area a long (11 hours) first day gets you to Great Basin National Park. Great place to camp, and a bit over half way making the rest of the trip better. Last year instead of camping in GB, we just pulled off on a dirt Road at the top of Sacramento Pass and camped in there. In the morning, you could take the kids through Lehman Caves there in Great Basin.

50 is way more scenic than 80, but 80 is marginally faster. You're in Land Cruisers, so extra speed potential isn't exactly an advantage, so I'd definitely recommend 50. Fill up with gas in Fallon no matter how full your tank is. Then fill up in Ely.

If you have more stamina the first day, an extremely cool place to camp is at Head Of Sinbad in Utah on I-70. You are most of the way to Moab at that point but it's really a cool spot. Look at a topo of the area and exit the freeway at Temple mountain. Then head back to the west on dirt roads. You'll camp near the "Lone Warrior" pictoglyph. That's about 14 hours from the Bay Area.

From the Bay Area a long (11 hours) first day gets you to Great Basin National Park. Great place to camp, and a bit over half way making the rest of the trip better. Last year instead of camping in GB, we just pulled off on a dirt Road at the top of Sacramento Pass and camped in there. In the morning, you could take the kids through Lehman Caves there in Great Basin.

50 is way more scenic than 80, but 80 is marginally faster. You're in Land Cruisers, so extra speed potential isn't exactly an advantage, so I'd definitely recommend 50. Fill up with gas in Fallon no matter how full your tank is. Then fill up in Ely.

If you have more stamina the first day, an extremely cool place to camp is at Head Of Sinbad in Utah on I-70. You are most of the way to Moab at that point but it's really a cool spot. Look at a topo of the area and exit the freeway at Temple mountain. Then head back to the west on dirt roads. You'll camp near the "Lone Warrior" pictoglyph. That's about 14 hours from the Bay Area.

Yeah, I want to try and work Great Basin in on the drive there. I'm not sure I want to push it that far on the first day but good to know that it's doable. Thanks for the other tips too.

Hi all,

SIZZLE, our group's plan for Thursday through Saturday is open at this time, though White Rim is one route we are considering.

No big agenda, just out to have some fun exploring the Utah back country! :)

Regards,

Alan

We are planning on arriving the 12th and leaving the 18th. We are going to run White Rim Tuesday to Wednesday but otherwise no set plans. I'd like to visit Arches, see a dinosaur track, some petroglyphs and generally explore the area.

What's on your agenda?

Lehman Caves off 50. Go to the park service website to make reservations for a cave tour.

The kids will dig the tour.

Plenty of campsites, ranging from elevation of 5000 at the town of Baker, up to 10,000 at the Wheeler Peak campground. It is a great area, with some services at Baker.

The Caves are 11 miles or so up the mountain from Baker, which is in NV, right at the UT border.....

Last edited:
Lehman Caves off 50. Go to the park service website to make reservations for a cave tour.

The kids will dig the tour.

Plenty of campsites, ranging from elevation of 5000 at the town of Baker, up to 10,000 at the Wheeler Peak campground. It is a great area, with some services at Baker.

The Caves are 11 miles or so up the mountain from Baker, which is in NV, right at the UT border.....

Thanks! We were checking those out just last night. I'm gonna call for a reservation tomorrow. I hope there's still space.

You should take some time to take the drive up to the scenic turnouts up till the end of the road, which is not far. Check getting the Highway 50 passport, a bit cheesy, but kids might like it.

The park service visitors centers in both Baker and at the Caves are well done. There two places to eat in Baker, and a modest cafe at the Caves visitor center

Last edited:
I'll be there April 9-13 with my family if you want to hit a trail. My only plans so far are Elephant Hill on Friday or Saturday.

I'll be there April 9-13 with my family if you want to hit a trail. My only plans so far are Elephant Hill on Friday or Saturday.
I won't arrive until Monday, but thanks. Have a good trip!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom