Builds '05 GX470 "build"... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice. I just put my Borla exhaust on the other day. Sounds so much more like a truck now.

Awesome work on the build and great job documenting! I really think the 120 platform is going to get big now that they are getting more affordable. Having detailed threads like this will definitely help in the future.

Edit: Also I'm interested to see the OPOR sliders. I'm between those and the White Knuckle ones right now....

I like what you did with the running board removal. I'm gonna have to copy that from you, along with the caster wheel mod. Nice rig, keep up the good work!

Awesome work on the build and great job documenting! I really think the 120 platform is going to get big now that they are getting more affordable. Having detailed threads like this will definitely help in the future.

Edit: Also I'm interested to see the OPOR sliders. I'm between those and the White Knuckle ones right now....

Thanks...and I agree. They are a really good balance between nice daily driver, and weekend rig.

I'll be sure to post pics/details of the OPOR sliders - They are set to be at my door next week. A note there: Shipping was $$$ on these! Not that I didn't expect it to be costly, but $150 surprised me. Oh well, "it is what it is", when it comes to shipping.

I like what you did with the running board removal. I'm gonna have to copy that from you, along with the caster wheel mod. Nice rig, keep up the good work!

Thanks a lot. I think I saw a picture of someone else who used the front cap of the running board on their truck, so I won't claim it as my original idea (just to be upfront!).

As for an update:

Nothing new on the GX, but we did sell our beloved FJ Cruiser yesterday. It was really nice to have both trucks for the first couple weeks of owning the GX...it allowed me to leave the GX on jack stands, and still get to work each day! But I'm glad it's sold now, and that $$$ is back in the bank!

Bye-bye, TRD FJ:
exterior-off-road.jpg

It's heading up north, Vermont to be exact.

I'll post more on the GX470 when I have more to post!

- Brian

Last edited:
Orion do you have any pics from the front or the rear that show the width of the tires? I am looking at that same size and would like to see how they look. Thanks!

I realize you didn't have it long with the stock suspension but how does your current suspension compare to the stock? Ride quality? Handling? I ask because my wife's GX needs new shocks and am considering the bilsteins but she'll kill me if its drastically different than stock.

I realize you didn't have it long with the stock suspension but how does your current suspension compare to the stock? Ride quality? Handling? I ask because my wife's GX needs new shocks and am considering the bilsteins but she'll kill me if its drastically different than stock.

If anything, I'd say they are softer.

It's really hard to compare - I went up in spring rate in the front, changed the shocks...but the rear springs were a definite improvement over the air springs when on "High" (softer, smoother).

I can romp over a rough RR crossing now, when it was a lot bouncier before.

I think you're safe with the Bilsteins. Might be a little different than stock, but not drastic.

- Brian

Update:

Got my exhaust on. Decided on a Magnaflow #12586 (22" long, 2.5" center in, 2.5" offset out)...

exhaust-1.jpg

The stock piping is ~61mm OD (2-3/8" OD), the muffler inlet and outlet measured 66mm ID (2-5/8" ID) - Just for future reference. I compensated for the difference by using a sleeve of 2.5" exhaust tubing slipped over the stock piping, then that fit inside the muffler opening:

exhaust-2.jpg

(this was prior to welding, of course)

To install, I cut the stock muffler out, as close to the case as possible. Welded the new one in, it fit very well in place of the stock muffler.

With the stock tail pipe and resonator in place...it was too quiet. It was slightly louder than stock while accelerating, but at idle or cruise...you could *barely* hear it.

I had already decided to remove the factory resonator (the football-shaped, mini muffler behind the axle)...so I did that this evening. In place of the resonator, I welded on a 2.75" 60-degree stainless steel bend. It now exits behind the rear tire, tucked up as close to the body as possible:

exhaust-tip.jpg

I've only taken it for a test drive, but it now has a rumble to it. I can't yet comment on the drone, but I'll update this post when I have a few miles on it. UPDATE: I'm happy with the sound. Has a nice rumble now - It has very slight drone, but nothing to complain about. If the muffler "breaks in" at all, it might worsen...and I'll report back. But it's not at all annoying. A fine trade-off for the truck "sounding like a truck"...!!!

I took some pics, I'll post those as well. (posted, 3/3/2015)

Next up, sliders. Should be delivered Thursday.

- Brian

Last edited:
I found my 18" length Magnaflow to be too tame for my likes and opted to go way loud but to each his own, nice start to your build!

Why did you go side exit behind the tire instead of back out the stock location where the bumper is cutout? If you're going to wheel, I'd think it's more likely to get crushed where you've got it than the stock location. You should get a sound clip, I bet it sounds great!

I found my 18" length Magnaflow to be too tame for my likes and opted to go way loud but to each his own, nice start to your build!

haha...yeah, I've found exhaust reviews to be entirely subjective. One guy says it loud, and another says the same thing is "whisper quiet".

What did you wind up with - 14" Magnaflow?

Why did you go side exit behind the tire instead of back out the stock location where the bumper is cutout? If you're going to wheel, I'd think it's more likely to get crushed where you've got it than the stock location. You should get a sound clip, I bet it sounds great!

I used that location to have access to the pass. side frame rail. I have a second factory "recovery hook" (tie down point?) to bolt to the frame, and it was inaccessible with the stock piping.

Also, I have a hitch cargo carrier...and didn't want the hot exhaust to melt my Yeti cooler that rides right there.

I know it's more exposed in this new location...hoping that it's high enough, and near enough the rear tire that I don't smash it. I have to drive 6-8hrs to get into anything really rocky, so it's probably pretty safe.

- Brian

haha...yeah, I've found exhaust reviews to be entirely subjective. One guy says it loud, and another says the same thing is "whisper quiet".

What did you wind up with - 14" Magnaflow?

I went the other side extreme with a Flowmaster Super 10 single chamber race muffler, it drones a bit inside, but I love the exhaust note, so much meaner and I can use the throttle instead of my horn in traffic lol

I also routed my exhaust the same way. I went offroading in Sedona in stock form on Broken Arrow and dragged the exhaust a bunch straight out the back. Routing out the side is better than straight out the back for approach and departure angles but not on off camber stuff. I'll test it out and if I have to, I'll chop it after the axle if the time comes, but I dig it out the side and you dont have to deal with exhaust fumes when you open the rear door to get something out.

I also routed my exhaust the same way. I went offroading in Sedona in stock form on Broken Arrow and dragged the exhaust a bunch straight out the back. Routing out the side is better than straight out the back for approach and departure angles but not on off camber stuff. I'll test it out and if I have to, I'll chop it after the axle if the time comes, but I dig it out the side and you dont have to deal with exhaust fumes when you open the rear door to get something out.

How'd the stock bumpers fare on the staircase? I'd love to go up there again but was going to wait until I had tires / lift.

I dragged both front and rear bumpers in stock form lol, if I had a lift then it wouldnt have been an issue.

I made the assumption that a side exit exhaust was a safe choice - Good to know your experience backs that up.

And that single chamber Flowmaster sounds mean!

- Brian

Nice custom mods. One area of concern I have is with the front suspension. When I went with the Bilstein 5100/ Toytec 620# spring setup on a stock '05 GX470, the front end would dive in hard braking situations. Have you have this happen yet? I changed out the setup for a 650# spring and no more dive issues and a nice ride on/off road.

Thanks for posting your build and mods...really thoughtful ideas! I'm looking to build a GX soon and appreciate your hard work. Your truck is AWESOME and can't wait to start on mine. Love your rocker panel mods and can't wait for the next installment!

Nice custom mods. One area of concern I have is with the front suspension. When I went with the Bilstein 5100/ Toytec 620# spring setup on a stock '05 GX470, the front end would dive in hard braking situations. Have you have this happen yet? I changed out the setup for a 650# spring and no more dive issues and a nice ride on/off road.

Yeah, I would agree that it's a little soft...both front and rear. It pitches and rolls a little more than I would like (on road).

But it sure sucks up the bumps! Really smooth...I can hit speed bumps at a good clip, and it just glides right over. That said, I could see the value of stiffer springs.

With the weight of these trucks, maybe a 650in/lb front spring, and something like the 'SuperFlex HD' rear springs...could be a good combo.

However, I did a lot of research before choosing, and it seemed like the Iron Man and OME springs...as well as the common coilover springs...were all in the 600lbs range (with a longer free length for extra weight). I actually thought I *was* going a little stiffer than normal.

EDIT: Had to look at spring rates again, and here's what I found:

(FRONT / REAR..."spring rate" (free length)...all numbers from the internet)

Stock GX470 (120 Prado): 605 (14.57") / 205 (14.96")
120-Series 4Runner: 580 (13.58") / 180 (14.17")

FRONT -
OME 883: 590 (14.76")
OME 884: 590 (15.16")
OME 885: 590 (15.56")

REAR -
OME 895: 260 (15.35")
OME 899: 318 (15.35")
OME 897: 387 (15.35")
ToyTec Superflex: 220 (free length ???) ...rate is an estimation.
ToyTec Superflex HD: 250 (free length ???) ...est.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/162125-coil-rates-oem-4runner-oem-fj-moog-others.html
http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1678
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/suspension-steering-tech/41898-rear-spring-comparison.html

I appreciate the input, certainly food for thought.

- Brian

Last edited:
Thanks for posting your build and mods...really thoughtful ideas! I'm looking to build a GX soon and appreciate your hard work. Your truck is AWESOME and can't wait to start on mine. Love your rocker panel mods and can't wait for the next installment!

Thanks man!

As for an update: Got my OPOR sliders primed, painted, and got the drivers side installed:

opor-slider-1.jpg

(yes, I painted them bronze in an attempt to match my wheels...I'm allowed some vanity, right?)

And they clear my trimmed running boards!

Quick review: I'm happy with the fit and finish, but I'd prefer a different mounting option. They use 1) A 8x1.25 bolt + rivnuts for the front mount, 2) 5" long, big-ass bolt + larger rivnut for the middle, and 3) A huge U-bolt for the rear mount. I'm no fan of the rivnuts, so I'm working on a better solution there. Already tossed the one for the front mount, and used a 5.5" long grade-8 bolt through the frame instead.

I'll post more pics and info later.

Stay tuned!

- Brian

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom