fj45 with split bench - coffee/ stuff consol ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alberta mac

addicted but not cured
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
for those who have a split bench seat or the fj45 with split bench seat...
I am wondering what you have fashioned up for a coffee holder between the stick shift and seat ?
My new acquisition is a 77 fj45 IMG_1774.JPG IMG_1775.JPG
2f, 4 speed, has original rust ! previous previous owner put the roll bar and canvas top on.
rear disc brakes, winch ,has 31'' tires now and may go to 33''
I'm not really sure what changes I will make but will address the rust issue's.
Though a 12'' lift on the garage may be in order.

I just used one of the plastic multi holder doodads from Canadian tire. Worked okay for on road use, off-road...not so much.

Best home built one I saw was in a fj40, metal cup holder welded to the roll bar bracing between the A posts across the dash pad.

I had an Igloo plastic version before that. I got a 2" webbing strap with a plastic belt buckle and screwed one end of the strap to the underside of the console, ran the webbing between the seat cushions and the buckle around the exposed seat frame behind the seat. This helped hold the console in place for mild, slow speed off road use. Running washboard roads at 40mph, the strap wasn't enough.

Here is what I use in my 70 FJ40 which I won't drill any holes in. For my FJ45 I plan on making a hybrid seat using the back of the passenger two piece back from 71/72 FJ40 and then using latch from a driver's seat to lock it upright. Then mod the back into a console with cup holders.

bench console 004.JPG

I had to chuckle a bit, as cupholders are always a topic of great interest in the 80's "tech" section.

:rolleyes:

That said, I did opt for holders on my Tuffy, and like the minimalist version above for those with bench seats.

Curious to hear how that works out in actual use. I wear a size 36, and I still find myself using enough of the seat that I don't want anything closer while I'm driving than about four inches from the left edge of the passenger seat. Twenty year observation in my daily driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom