Slow Restoration of a diesel 45 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, long story short, after owning my BJ60 for 6 years and building it up, and taking it up to the Yukon and Alaska, she is rusting out. Something needed to replace her and I have always wanted a 45 series but just never thought they were up here in BC in any great numbers (or in decent condition), so that idea went to a backburner. The plan was that if I found one, I would swap in my 3B and 5 speed and go from there. That was the plan at least, until I found this truck. At the beginning of January I picked up this thing, to slowly begin fixing up (very slowly, free time is not an ally of mine). The truck is located a ferry ride and a few hours’ drive away from where I live, so logistically getting things done will(is) be(ing) a pain. I am hoping to have the cruiser fixed up and on the road by June/July.

I found it here on Mud. It is a 1976 45 series originally from Switzerland, model # FJ45LP-KW. No clue when it came over here, or how many owners have had it in the past. Seller did not have too much info on it. Rust is there, but not all that bad. Frame is an 8.5/10. The tub is in relatively good shape, with the floor needing a few patches. The bottom of the doors will require attention. The bed has some pretty rough spots, but nothing lethal or beyond my abilities. The hood, left fender and stepping boards on tub have some small holes which will need to be dealt with. Other than that, surface rust is the next worst issue.

Recently the truck had a 3B and four speed swapped into it, to replace the original gasser. Not sure how many kilometers are on the engine, but it fires up more quickly than my BJ60, and smokes less. The 45 has a Wilson switch and manual kill cable for the engine, just what I was going to do eventually. Also has power steering, which is very tight, and very little slop. The knuckles have either been rebuilt, or are bone dry inside. I have not looked into that too deeply yet. Disk brakes are on the front and drums on the rear. Semi floater rear axle, not full floater, like most other 45’s.

So far a few things have required fixing to get it up to standard (as low as mine might be). Both rear corner glass gaskets have been replaced, and the rear window gasket needs to be replaced. I guess these things happen to rubber after 39 years. The fuel primer pump has been replaced with a Bosch one. The interior has mostly been gutted. My girlfriend and I are going to reupholster the bench seats, or at least see how much we can screw that up ahahhah. We both have zero experience doing something like that. Besides, what is one more job… A fair amount of rust has been ground out. In a few spots, new sheet metal has been welded in. Currently I am working on getting my signals and hazards working. The rats nest of wiring from the 3B swap is coming into play here. Oh well, that job might get sent to Steve at EBI Cruisers, if I run out of time.

In the future I plan on painting the rig, along with getting a spray-on bedliner done. Also I would like to turbo the 3B, just to wake it up a little bit. I have driven a naturally aspirated 3B for six years now, and am thinking that a turbo might do nicely.

Remember, where I said the 45 has a four speed? Well, turns out while rowing through the gears while sitting in the cab without seat in the warehouse (other people do this right? Right???), I found something interesting. The tranny is actually a five speed! The seller was unaware of this, and it is not something I usually would think to verify… Not all that bad eh?

Attached here are some pictures of the truck. They include: the truck the day I bought it, cab without seats and most of the rust ground out, engine bay, test fit of new sheet metal to patch holes in side of bed, and my girlfriend welding in said patches.

My apologies if I have bored you, and if updates to this thread do not happen often enough. This will be a slow build, but I have a solid idea of where I want to get with this on a timeline. All the above is subject to change and nothing is set in stone.

Cheers,

Matt

2015-01-02 12.54.19.jpg

2015-01-11 17.10.36.jpg

2015-02-11 14.22.15.jpg

2015-02-12 15.21.42.jpg

2015-02-12 16.31.54.jpg

Cool rig man! Nothing nicer than a surprise 5th cog. Before you get a turbo, get a fan shroud!

Before you get a turbo, get a fan shroud!

Ah, I forgot to add that too! Going to get done before it hits the highways. Wouldn't want the fan connecting with anything around it...

Got some more work done today. Finished welding in the patches for the random holes in the side of the bed. Welded in a small patch for the tub floor, and cut a piece of sheet metal to size for the left fender. Also drilled out the rivets holing in an old patch in the corner of the bed. Put new hood latches on. Hooked up the speedometer cable. And then finally drove over hell's half acre to get foam cut to size for the bench seat. That will be it for a little while, until I get time to come back and work on the tuck. Thanks for reading.

Happy Friday the 13th,

Matt

Matt Glad you got your post up , Real nice looking 45 you have ! looks like you need a 2nd battery tray or to at least put a box for a battery in the front of the rear bed.
Any thoughts on the seats ?
My thoughts on the 45 seats are either replace them with buckets that have lumbar supports etc... and heated. Or find the ultimate bench seat replacement that resembles the stock configuration that has all the features of a fully powered bucket seat.
My 45 has been re-upholstered with seat heaters but since it has not been certified I have no idea of the hemroid factor or just how uncomfortable it may be for long drives. In the least if your bench has rips then duct tape it and drive it to find out what you want to do about the seat issue.
Cheers

Eh, thanks for the ideas, the list of what I need/want to do keeps growing ahhaha. Not that I did not expect it to... The bench seat was pretty bagged out, duct tape was not going to save this one. I am still going ahead with the plan of trying to redo the seat and see where that gets me. I have all the stuff now. If it turns out I hate the thing, I will just scrap them, and cannibalize the bucket seats out of my 60 when I part it out this summer. Nothing is permanent.

Next time I get time to work on my 45, I plan on getting the interior all finished off. Gotta finish patching the floor, going to POR 15 the thing and throw some thin rubber diamond plate down as a liner. Also hope to plug the rust pinholes (2 of them) in the fuel tank. Would be cool to get the dome light working again too.

Matt

2015-02-11 13.01.02.jpg

just my two cents here ... research POR15 comments, ''diamond plate'' if it's aluminum you will have electrolysis = corrosion.
As for parting out the 60 makes a good winter vehicle keeping the 45 for the other nice days.
Try antique insurance for your 45 !
Mac

I spent quite some time looking up the POR15 stuff. Seems like people either love it or hate it, not much in between. I don't have much to lose painting the floor of the tub with it. If things really go bad, I can just wire wheel it off, and properly paint it. Had a buddy who painted his truck floor and has not had any issues. I wont be putting it on any spots I will be painting later on. The "diamond plate" is rubber, like I said, so no dissimilar metal corrosion there. It is kind of like thin stall mats.

The 60's frame is shot and the body is pretty much gone in the fenders, rear hatch, rocker pannels etc. As much as I would like to keep it around, since it is a strong runner, its days are number. It is amazing how much cheaper the antique or collector plates here in BC are for insurance!

Thanks for the pointers though. Much appreciated. If anyone else reading this has any thoughts or do/don't, feel free to chime in. I am all ears.

I had a quick question to the people out there. In the front of the bed, in both corners, there are what appear to be removable plannels. They have long been welded in place now. I was just curious if other 45s had these, or they were something from the European market. Would they have something to do with the hydraulic lines and fittings running along the frame? A quick search here on my model # shows it might be for battery access. I am in the process of replacing the one on the right hand side, and was just curious of any other thoughts.

Thanks,

Matt

EDIT/PS: The pannels are not just patches. The original holes are both the exact same size, and have threaded holes around them to originally bolt in the old covers.

2015-01-02 13.57.14.jpg

It is hard to tell from your picture, but I'm guessing it is of one of the front corners. There were/are access panels there, but from the research I have done it seems that there is no definitive answer as to what they are there for. As well as the panels though, which are only in the front corners, all four corners of the bed floor are held together with screws. Again, I cannot determine why this would have been done as the rest of the bed floor is welded...

Here is a pic of one of my front corners. You can see the access panel with its rounded corners and you can also see the other screws that hold the corner of the bed.

DSC02186.jpg

HoffLarr, thanks for the info and picture. Sounds like I asked a stupid/redundant question ha. Oh well, that wont be the last one I ask in this thread. Mac, I don't have any measurements, but it might be a tight fit for a battery. It is weird, the pannels just open up onto the road below. I guess one could fabricate a small box underneath the bed, under one of these pannels for storing stuff. The one thing I am finding difficult with fixing up this truck versus my 60, is that I have no idea what a baseline truck is like. I have no reference for what should be where, and since it has had an engine and tranny swap, some things are a little fishy up forward. Such is the joy of fixing up one of these old trucks. For the record I have broken about 1/3 the amount of bolts that I usually do on my 60. Slowly replacing the ones I take out with new ones as well.

I have another batch of parts to replace on the truck next time I get over to work on it. Hopefully in another few weeks. I am excited to get the truck back on the road for this summer.

Thanks for your help,

Matt

Hi all,

Well, got some more work done the past few days. Finished up repairing the front left fender's rust hole with some new sheet metal, and a little bit of fairing. All in all, I am happy with how it turned out, as making the sheet metal curved to the same specs as the fender was not that easy, given that I did it all by hand. Also finished patching the random holes in the right side of the bed today. A quick coat of spraypaint was applied to make it less bad looking, until I paint the whole truck. Also done so bare sheet metal was not exposed for the length of time it takes me to do this build. I was able to weld up some of the pin holes of rust in the tub floor as well (after making many bigger, oops...).

Drained and pulled out the fuel tank to inspect/address the leaks. Turns out they are a bit more substantial than I was hoping. Someone, sometime, had used a soft grey putty to plugs some holes. This has now made a mess of things. Tomorrow I am going to decide what the best option is. I removed the transmission hump to clean it up as well. The adaptations made to it to accompany a five speed were pretty ugly. Should be done the clean up of that by tomorrow. This will also allow me to properly seal the hump, and transmission and transfer case boots. Somehow I managed to straighten out the tailgate and bed sides with a bunch of ratchet straps, so it closes quite nicely now. From what I have been reading in other threads, I should count my lucky stars that the tailgate is in great condition (other than a small bend).

Replaced the hood latches with ones that actually do their job. Pulled out the rear window to replace the dry and cracked gasket with one I purchased from Spectre Off-Road. I am hoping to get the rear window and the corner glass back in tomorrow.

Looks like I am going to be picking up the front half of a gasser 45, two rough condition beds and some random bits and pieces in the near future. That includes some very nice front fenders, a front axle, full floater rear axle, tie rod ends, headache rack and some other nice goodies. That will help with the random parts I will need. I am excited to start pulling parts off this other one.

On a not-so-good note, I had my backpack with my wallet (a good chunk of cash and many important cards inside), and commercial divers logbook stolen from the warehouse while I was working on the truck. Thiefs racked up $2,500 worth of charges on my credt cards. Some people's children I tell you.... Dealing with the banks and police has really taken away from the time I had hoped to dedicate to getting this truck back on the road. Anyways, hoping to get things back in order in the next few days.

Cheer,

Matt

2015-01-02 14.17.59.jpg 2015-05-10 16.56.26.jpg 2015-05-10 16.30.07.jpg

Well, this is not much of an update in what was accomplised on the truck today. Got some more wiring figured out, and continued the slow process of replacing sheet metal to beat rust. Pictures of wiring are not really that exciting, so I won't bore you with that.

What I do have pictures of, is the truckload of 45/40 series stuff I came back with today. Bought it from a fellow who is getting rid of his Landcruiser stuff to make room in the garage. Lots of good parts to help with the build in the future. More than I will need for this truck, that is for sure! I spent a few hours today going through what worked and was useful, and what was just scrap.

Included were: front axle, rear full floater axle, six soft doors, two front fenders, eight leaf springs, tons of lights and other electical looms, a bunch of seatbelts, shackles, ducting, heater stuff, u-bolt plates, tons of miscelaneous bits of hardware, skid plates, windscreeen, interior trim, front bumper, a few steering boxes and tie rods, a large bag of rubber gaskets and window seals, 40 series soft top, seats, steering wheels and columns, and that is just what I can quickly remember.

Things are going well for this truck to be back on the road. Although, I either have the time, or the money to throw at it. She is going to be a sweet ride when I am done. Just sold my 60 series, so I need to finish this project, so I can get back to driving a Landcruiser again.

Cheers,

Matt

2015-07-12 17.54.00.jpg

2015-07-12 17.54.19.jpg

2015-07-12 17.54.39.jpg

2015-07-12 17.55.04.jpg

Nice find Matt, both the truck and the load of parts. I am down to Vic a couple times a year. I'll be looking for your rig on the road!!

Well, here is a small update. I have had this truck for a year now, and have been slowly getting things in order. For the little time I have been able to spend working on it, I am pleased with what has been accomplished. Interior is coming together, and should be done welding in sheet metal for the tub floor and bed soon. I think that I have also figured out the gremlins with the signals. Just need to replace some gauges and figure out the seatbelts.

Just recently picked up a half truck (gasser engine so that is useless, but hoping to turn the doors into half-doors), along with a headache rack, and two beds. The one bed is going to be cut apart and used for replacing parts of the bed floor and a couple of other trouble areas. Not sure what I am doing with the other bed yet. Should be a good year for getting things done. I have a rough timeline of hoping to have the truck drive-able by the summer. Can't wait to cruise around with the top off.

Cheers,

Matt

2015-12-29 10.26.22.jpg

2015-12-29 12.08.49.jpg

Wow where did you find those beds?

Bought them off of a guy who knows the guy I bought my truck off of. That is where all of my other parts came from that I picked up back in July. Just have not had the time to go pick up these things until recently.

Cheer,

Matt

Got some more body work done on the 45 series this last weekend. Hood is patched up nicely now, with all of the rust holes welded up, and a small amount of bondo to fair out the many small dents. It ended up turning out better than I had hoped, which is a rare thing ahha. Sure has taken a ton of time to get it to where it is now. The bezel has been ground done and prepped for rust control as well. The bib was a taken out of the parts truck, as the current bib was in pretty rough shape. Two small rust holes were all that I found on it. I spent some time aligning the different panels on the front end of the truck, as when I bought it, nothing lined up. It is a little better now, but when it is all together I can do a better final job. I am happy to have a good chunk of the bodywork done on the front half of the truck now. The plan has been to move from front to rear, just to keep things organized and consistent.

My girlfriend got to work patching the holes in the driver side steps. The passenger side was almost perfect to begin with, but the driver side needs some TLC. It has had new metal welded in previously, by what looks like a blind porcupine... We spent some time cleaning up that. We also finished repairing the tub floor on the passenger side. Now just need to finish the driver side, which is mostly done. Still need to source out a bench seat for the passenger side. I have about 12 seat belts now, so I need to figure out which ones work best. The new headache rack looks great, compared to the old one someone build out of heavy square tube.

The parts truck had a better shape fuel tank, so I cleaned it up a bit and have left the original one alone. Not worth dealing with the half-assed fixes someone in the past did on that. I like leaking diesel in the cab as much as the next person, but passengers might not. We replaced the main gauge cluster with one that reads in kilometers, as well as miles. That came out of the parts truck. Sure is nice to have access to parts like that I must say!

Looks like I will be replacing the trucks rims with the ones that came off the parts cruiser. They need some grinding and paint, but are much better looking than the cheap Canadian Tire rims on my cruiser right now. Will need to buy new tires though, as the rims are different sizes.

That is it for now.

Cheers,

Matt

2016-05-15 15.13.34.jpg

2016-05-15 15.33.34.jpg

2016-05-15 16.21.53.jpg

2016-05-15 16.41.35.jpg

Nice progress on the 45 Matt!! I don't see any of the little ribs that I have on my roofs. Is yours fiberglass??
If you welder runs out of pieces to fix I've got enough here to keep her busy for a while.:D

Darren

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom