Shore power set ups (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LandCruiserPhil

Peter Pan Syndrome
Supporting Vendor
Threads
My Land Cruiser is not my DD and I would like to leave my fridge on and have my batteries fully charged when not in use. Im thinking about setting up a shore power outlet to keep everything running and topped off while resting for my next adventure.

Anyone running a shore power set up?

Thought about it, but for now I usually just run a 12v extension cord to my fridge and leave it at that. I did disconnect it a couple months ago as it's cold enough outside (and I had only water bottles in the fridge) that I disconnected it. I did try and start my truck yesterday after it's been sitting for over a month; did the suspencted rrrRrrrRRRrrrrrRRRrrrrrr and then fired up (1HDT with dual batteries but converted to 12v start).
I have contemplated just leaving my 50W solar panel on the roof rack. With the fridge not plugged in it should, I think, keep the batteries topped up. I'll try to remember and test that theory while I'm off for the holidays.
The panel is not large enough to keep things topped up while the fridge is running, that much I know. It will charge up during the day (sunshine dependant heavily at this latitude), and then the fridge light will be flashing in the morning.

Alternatively, I bought one of these Noco genius smart chargers awhile back, It is supposed to be able to be used for "Storage" conditions and can be left plugged in.
I did plug that in the other day after the slow start. I'll keep checking on it and see whats going on.

edit: during the 12v starter conversion, the left side battery (when standing in front looking at the engine) is the dedicated accessory battery. There is a marine grade isolater that switches over and charges either battery depending on need.

So are you just needing to keep the batteries charged and the fridge running? Seems like you could install an AC/DC converter capable of charging batteries, not sure if would be bad for the batteries with the fridge drawing on it. Or just use a battery tender and plug the fridge in of course.

Use a battery tender to keep the aux batteries at the correct charge. If you want the fridge on all the time (why?) run the adaptor from the same plug. No need to complicate things.

I'm with rusty_tlc, why do you want to run your fridge all the time? It doesn't take that long to pack it, food just doesn't keep fresh left in a fridge that long, and you're wearing out your fridge prematurely. I don't use my 80 as a DD either and leave the fridge in it, but disco'd from either power source. I leave the lid propped open an inch or so with a piece of foam so it doesn't smell. This method also helps prevent frost buildup as will happen with long periods of use. The batts can be maintained separately with out concern for the fridge. As Dan said, keep it simple.

Last edited:
I was going to run an anderson plug out the lower grill for 120v power hookup in the driveway, but the 100w solar panel I put in made that unnecessary.

I'd probably go with a nice battery charger. I use a Batteryminder model 12248. It will do any type of battery and either 2/4/8 amps. Maybe get the quick disconnect with the ring terminals on the other end. I think you can get a 12 or 25 foot extension cable to go from the charger to the battery.
I have no problem leaving mine connected for weeks at a time. And it will maintains/desulfate your battery.

My solution.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I copied Joey and got the Noco permanently installed in the engine/fender side......

20140915_074311.jpg

20140915_073844.jpg

Last edited:
I'm using an Iota 40 amp charger/tender on the trailer...don't see any reason you couldn't do the same thing on the truck side..but that Noco Genius setup looks to be the cats nuts..

Thanks for the ideas :cool: My 80 is solar equipped but is not exposed to the sun when not in use.:(

Im looking at 120V male mounted plug on the vehicle to power the fridge and possible a NOCO or some kind of charging unit. I need to call NOCO tech to see what they have and recommend for a set up with a group 31 and a group 34 that are wired in parallel. I figure checking with BatteryMinder and BatteryTender would not hurt, any other sources to include on my search?

@08720 I originally had it in front of the battery, fits perfectly, but I have another project that is occupying that space now ;)

I'm now making a bracket that mounts it to the backside of the ARB bumper.

@NLXTACY Interesting. Didn't think to look back there. You going to add that mod to your ARB thread? What was your mounting solution in front of the battery? I wish my wife knew you so we could share some of the hardship I get from spending so much time and $$ on my rig. Half of it is your fault anyway :)

Last edited:
Did you have any problems drilling that hole for the plug? Did you use nuts behold the bumper or was there enough metal to tap for the bolts? Looking to do the same setup you have plug adding a plug for the block heater.

At first I only had a wood cutting hole saw and considered just using that. But that idea quickly went away and I just went and bought the right sized metal hole saw. Buzzed thru it in two minutes. The hole was tight enough the plug basically can stay put. But needs the screws to keep it from rotating and coming out when you pull the plug.

There is enough material to get enough threads to use some stainless screws I had. They were small screws, M4s I think. Just drilled a pilot hole and then used my metric tap to thread the holes. It was a really easy addition overall.

Thanks for the ideas :cool: My 80 is solar equipped but is not exposed to the sun when not in use.:(

Im looking at 120V male mounted plug on the vehicle to power the fridge and possible a NOCO or some kind of charging unit. I need to call NOCO tech to see what they have and recommend for a set up with a group 31 and a group 34 that are wired in parallel. I figure checking with BatteryMinder and BatteryTender would not hurt, any other sources to include on my search?

Hello I dont post much since I just acquired my 2003 LC which is all stock right now. But on this topic I can certainly add some opinions. I have an 87 VW Syncro TDI conversion that I wheel a lot. I removed the propane and the propane DC / AC fridge for a 12 V only set up. Thus when I'm back country I needed some additional battery options and what to keep them topped off when not running the van. I have a NOCO set up and have converted the shore power westy plug to the NOCO plug that is shown by NLXTACY. I have 5 AGM 35 AH batteries under the back seat in parallel. When I have shore power or at home I just plug into the NOCO adapter that hooks to a power outlet inside the van that the NOCO charger and other 120V items can pull from. I also have a Yamaha EF2000 with a propane conversion that can act as my shore power back country. I have also wired in quick disconnects so that I can use 2 50w fold up solar panels on a 25ft cable incase i'm not in the sun or want to camp in the shade. I have gone through about 3 years of different setups prior to this combination and it has been working like a champ for the last 3 years.

The attached pic shows the bank with 3 Batteries since then I have rearranged and added 2 more.

Since I'm only using one Battery type I opted for the single bank NOCO charger. Great BTW because they are sealed t the weather better than most i have found. I was turned onto them by a guy at my marina they all use them on their boats. If you have two battery types definitely get one similar to NLXTACY as you can connect 2 batteries or 2 banks and it will monitor and charge each as needed.

Based on my experience and killing a few expensive AGM's I would suggest the NOCO set up over anything else....

I hope this info helps

Battery Bank.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom