Looking to buy a 70, questions about what to look for. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

I am currently living in Japan, I am looking to buy a 70 series to bring home with me. Aside from my requirements, I am hoping some of you experts can provide guidance before I invest any real money.

I am only hard set on two things; manual tranny and 4dr.

Aside from that I am leaning towards a turbo diesel motor. I don't know much about diesels but from reading around here and other places this combo would be preferable. I plan on the truck being my daily driver, but more importantly providing a means to exploration with my family. Unless anyone can convince me otherwise I'd stick to this power plant. That being said, which motor is most reliable/easy to obtain parts in North America?

Lastly, what know mechanical problems are associated with motor, drivetrain, suspension, etc. also where are common rust spots to look out for? Any other input on selection of a good cruiser is more then welcomed and appreciated. Thank you.

Side note, where are all the build threads? I've been searching SOG block and threads without much luck. Thank you again!

I am living in Japan and recently purchased a '91 HZJ-77 to take back in a few years. Before I bought my truck, I spent a lot of time reading threads on Mud to figure out what I wanted. Your questions are way to broad, and will probably get short answers telling you to utilise the search function, or a link as Locked79 provided. You are currently in the literal motherland for LC's. Peruse the various threads and decide what will suit your needs. Once you have your "wants" in order, I'll gladly help you find one since I just went through the process. Japan is huge on shipping vehicles, so no where in country is really out of reach.

IMG_4145.JPG

As for what lead me to my rig... four doors and a 1HZ, the rest is just window dressing IMHO. Message me if you've got any questions.

Here are a couple of build threads to cut your teeth on.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/a-canadian-build-of-a-jdm-bj74-tech-only-please-no-chat.286801/
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1985-bj70-story-and-modifications.608045/
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/my-hzj77-build.667952/

So everyone, aside from obvious info, what are the benefits of the 1hz and 13b. My truck will end up in America. I'm looking for long term reliability and parts sourcing in the states. Power production isn't a huge issue but gas mileage is. Can the experts weigh in?

Aside from that I am leaning towards a turbo diesel motor. I don't know much about diesels but from reading around here and other places this combo would be preferable.

stay clear of 2LTE and 1KZ diesels they are well known and documented for cracking heads, all the other diesel engines are fine.

Two Cents: Buy a clean 4 door (scarcity, utility) with a 1HZ (power, economy, parts availability).

The number of build threads may be reflective of the relative scarcity of these things in North America.

The low turn-out of commentators to your request may be reflective of lust, envy and jealousy on the part of Mud members.

Good luck with search, selection and ownership. Please post often, with pictures. :cheers:

Thank you for the input. In the reserh from the obvious in my reading? Is there any reason the HZ or B motor edge the other out?

^ ugh sorry accidentally posted that (still getting use to the app, doesn't look like I can delete/edit)

Everything I read has the HZ being better then the B series motors. Is their any obscure reason the B would have an advantage?

Then plan for the truck is limited to daily driving and a camping/exploring rig for my family. I am not looking to do extreme trails or towing. However I don't want to be at a disadvantage at altitude. I will go to the mountain states to explore in the future. Again all my reading leans me to the HZ, but I may be missing some special nuggets of info about other options.

Thank you in advance!

Thank you for the input. In the reserh from the obvious in my reading? Is there any reason the HZ or B motor edge the other out?
13BT out of production 4 cyl with some part support in North America. Nice motor but relatively old design.
1HZ is still in production with better part support here. If you get a wild hair, you can pull more power from the 1HZ with addd-ons.

Lots of folk here who know what they are talking about (certainly more than me) so hope they chime in.

Find something unique that you just fawkin' love and don't look back. Points for style......

http://www.flexdream.jp/detail?asp_no=81353

upload_2015-1-30_21-2-11.png

13BT engines were only in two door models as well. The time Toyota started producing four door models is when they stopped producing the 13BT. If you want a four door heavy duty 70 series then there's only one engine option, the 1HZ, and luckily it's a very good one. As mentioned before you may see light duty Prados advertised as land cruisers but stay away from them. They have reliability issues and will be the LJ78 and KZJ78 in the four door models. This is the reason why Prado's already imported into Canada sell for $3000-$8000 while a HZJ77, if it can be found, will sell for $25,000-$sky is your limit$.

13BT advantages over 1HZ? Well a BJ74 will be cheaper than a HZJ77 or HZJ73 so I guess that's one. Mileage is better in the 1HZ from my real world experience and despite the 1HZ not coming factory turbocharged I found the BJ74 wasn't able to keep up to me in my NA HZJ77.

^ ugh sorry accidentally posted that (still getting use to the app, doesn't look like I can delete/edit)!
No worries - thanks for posting and joining the Mud Madness. So what are you doing on your deployment / stay and when you coming back? If it is a long stay, buy the newest, nicest rig you can afford/justify and keep posting with pictures! :cheers:

To the original poster: If you're in Japan anyhow, definitely try to find yourself an HZJ77! You have the advantage of actually being able to look at them and take your pick. You also won't be paying quite the premium we pay here in north america.

For the record the LJ78 and KZJ78 share 95% of their components with the heavy duty landcuisers. With the exception of the engines, they are exceptional vehilces and well loved by pretty much everyone that has owned one. Unfortunetly the poorly tuned undersized OEM engine has given them a bad reputation. In my opinion, the HZJ77 is overvalued, and the LJ78 is undervalued, producing the huge price margin. Replace the 2LTE/1KZTE (or improve it as I have done), and the Prado is an excellent truck. Good opportunity to save money for the folks that have the skill set to do so.

To the original poster:

For the record the LJ78 and KZJ78 share 95% of their components with the heavy duty landcuisers.

probably a wee bit less than 95%, engine, gearbox, diffs, suspension, frame, steering are different between between them :)

probably a wee bit less than 95%, engine, gearbox, diffs, suspension, frame, steering are different between between them :)

Sorry, I meant other than the engine, and I'm comparing to all heavy duty cruisers of the same vintage (80 series and 70 series). For example:

- Frame is identical to the 77, but a couple inches shorter and a couple different mounts. (so not a 'weaker' frame by any means)
- Transfer case is identical to the 77
- Transmission is A343F, which is same as the 95-97 80 series and 98-02 100 series. A very tough reliable transmission.
- Front suspension same design as the 80 series, springs are even interchangeable
- Rear suspension different than the 80 series rear, but still equally strong, and still uses similar/same size coils
- Front axle/hubs/spindles same as the 77, with exception of spring/shock perch differences, and different gear ratio
- Rear axle *just* from Toyota trucks, but still very strong
- Entire body/interior/glass the same as 77 from the firewall back, interior a bit more luxurious if anything
- Dash/gauges/hvac etc same as a 77
- Main steering components are same as 77
- Front brakes same as a 77, rear brakes same as an 80
- Fuel system the same as a 77
- Exhaust system the same as a 77

So really, the only things weaker or insuperior about a LJ78 than a HZJ77 are the engine head and rear axle. However, the 8" rear axle is still VERY strong. So, we're really only left with the 2LTE engine being the problem. Most not willing to deal with it, hence the reason for the devalued Prado. Coils are an advantage in my opinion over the 77, lower shorter front gives better wheeling visibility...4.9:1 diff ratio perfect for bigger tires. Prado has stock 50/50 weight distribution, which is certainly noticeable when wheeling. Ironically the new price of the Prado was more than an HZJ77...

NOT recommeding Prado to anyone not willing to deal with the engine; just defending it as a cruiser with decent potential is all.

Last edited:
Where are you located? A good place for start is http://www.goo-net-exchange.com this will show you what is available in Japan at this time. Good luck there are a lot if 70s for sale so make sure you know what options (lockers) you want and stick to your plan. Used parts are hard to find.

I found my cruiser using goo-net. Just as a heads up, the prices on goo-net exchange are very inflated when compared to the Japanese goo-net website. I assume they know they're selling to people oversees that are going to pay more to have it shipped anyways. Also, with the current yen to dollar exchange rate, now is really the time to buy.
I got familiar with the lay out of goo-net exchange to find vehicles I like, then I found them on the regular goo-net website. The regular goo-net also shows you the location and inventory of the dealer.
Good luck

^^^^^ What he said^^^^^

Goo-net prices are better and you can filter by location. You should us goo exchange to just look at inventory but I would look at it in person before buying... On Goo exchange select SUV the 70 is on the first page.

Last edited:
I've been looking at goonet, found this guy (attached), factory f/r lockers, very clean (all cars sold get a very good detail job) but it was a bit out of my price range.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1422758565.903951.jpg

Also I'd prefer to not buy a truck with mods already done to it (I come from VW/Audi tuning and molested cars are a no-no to buy with out outstanding maintenance records). I'd prefer to buy from a dealer here on island just for an easier transaction. Plus most of the trucks I've been looking at are on mainland shipping would be added on to the price. I've also been looking around locally for specialty dealers. There is one near me that only has built Jimnys, Safaris and LC. I haven't gone to visit but I want to see if they can source what I'm looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom