Cable lockers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have HJ cable lockers in an FJ60? If so how was the install and where did you mount the cables in the cab? Last but not least how do you like them? Pictures would be most helpfull!!!

:cheers:

Axles are a bolt in with no driveshaft modification necessary. Levers mount to the body right next to the driver's seat and a little behind the e-brake.

Voila!! Cable Lockers!

Many using the FJ80 Elec. Lockers in the FJ40/60's use our cable locker conversion. It now includes an interior floor shift instead of the original Twist-and-Pull cable.
CC_L_0013.jpg

HJ cable controls. (before clean up)
The OE control set-up is pretty intense, but it works ridiculously easy and smooth.
The mount holes are there on all 60s, but they don't have nuts welded in, nutserts fix that and they bolt right up to the body cross member under the back of the front seats.
There are pics of the controls (modified setup) and lockers in my ROTW.
:cheers:
IMG_2451.jpg

I have a rear cable locker I just used a (Moorse) shift cable and made a lever. Easy as can be.

Dynosoar:zilla:

Here's the stock setup, first the controls next to the driver's seat, and then the able mechanism underneath:
IMG_4538.jpg
IMG_4536.jpg

Here's the stock setup, first the controls next to the driver's seat, and then the able mechanism underneath:

That is exactly what I was looking for- thank you. Do you have any issues whatsoever? Or do they operate as flawlessly as advertised?

That is exactly what I was looking for- thank you. Do you have any issues whatsoever? Or do they operate as flawlessly as advertised?

No issues at all. Their only drawback is the difficulty and expense of obtaining them in the first place. Install is no problem, basically bolts right up. I had to modify the RHD mechanism to work on LHD vehicle, but it wasn't complicated. The set up is rugged and overbuilt in the usual Toyota fashion, and the fact that you can really feel the positive engagement of the locker as you're pulling the handle is really a plus. Let me know if you want any other pics of cable routing or anything.

Bill

No issues at all. Their only drawback is the difficulty and expense of obtaining them in the first place. Install is no problem, basically bolts right up. I had to modify the RHD mechanism to work on LHD vehicle, but it wasn't complicated. The set up is rugged and overbuilt in the usual Toyota fashion, and the fact that you can really feel the positive engagement of the locker as you're pulling the handle is really a plus. Let me know if you want any other pics of cable routing or anything.

Bill

I'm very interested in seeing more pics of this setup, especially how you routed the cables and the modifications you had to undertake to accommodate the LHD.

What did you do with the dash activation light? Is there an existing pigtail in the dash or did you custom fab a harness?

Thanks,
-dogboy- '87 FJ60

they're pretty cool, but there is a little modification involved because the cables are designed to be pulled from under the passenger seat of your vehicle b/c they came from a RHD. so a shaft has to be added to the base of the handle.....I paid someone else to do it...that way they get to fix it if something goes wrong. It's not exactly like replacing your brakes or something. But hopefully you're more confident on the wrench than me!!

A revival.
I'm thinking it should be possible to engage the front locker individually from the rear locker.
I seem to remember a tab somewhere, pulling both on if I only pull the front locker on.
I'll dig into it next time I lube the levers up ;p

A revival.
I'm thinking it should be possible to engage the front locker individually from the rear locker.
I seem to remember a tab somewhere, pulling both on if I only pull the front locker on.
I'll dig into it next time I lube the levers up ;p
Correct, pulling up on the front locker also engages the rear locker. The rear can be locked by itself.

I know it's gone the way of the dinosaur, but did anyone here get the Downey cable conversion for an 80 series locker? Just curious what it looked like and if it'd be easy to replicate once I eventually can slap an FZJ80 rear end under my truck.

i have FJ80 locking axles in my 1989 FJ62 (SOA leafs) and we obviously had to custom-built it's own electric harness to control the actuation since the FJ62 computer/harness has no acceptability of FJ80 components. After our custom harnesses started acting funny and not reliably engaging/disengaging the lockers in the diffs, I decided to find a way to do cable actuation. I purchased the same chilkat unit (2x) noted above (http://www.chilkatdesigns.com/E-Locker.html) and will be installing the next weekend I have free at home. I will update this thread with information and insights I get during the installation process...!

For about a year and a half, I used 2 of these chilkat locker actuators (http://www.chilkatdesigns.com/E-Locker.html) with good results. Super happy with them.

Can you please post some pictures of how/where you installed the hand-levers (and their bulkheads) inside the cab? Do you have any tips with mounting the ends to the axles based on the input-shaft locations being slightly different (higher on the front and lower on the rear in relation to the differential output shafts)?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom