Advice for a damp 1986 Toyota 4runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a pretty clean 1986 4 runner. A pretty good amount of work from the original owner to restore it. I've owned it for about a year and fully enjoying it but experiencing some annoying dampness after it rains.

Most of the dampness is under the drivers and front passenger footwells (under the carpet)

I can't tell where the water is coming from but I imagine it's coming from the door seal or possible it's a bad seal around the windshield.

The carpeting is pretty nice, and not too excited to tear it up, but I think I might be looking at mold if I don't pull it up. I'm not sure rhino lining is a great idea either, but that might be a good solution until I can sort out the leak and replace the carpet with a new kit.

Has anyone had experiences with rainwater penetrating the front cab in the footwells? How did you fix it?

Thanks for any help or advice.

Leaking windshields are not uncommon. Just fixed mine.

X2 on windshield.

Hard to get a good seal on those. It took a couple tries for the windshield guy to get it right with no leaks;)

A/C evaporator drain or windshield...

I'm with Jonathan.... I just had to repair my firewall/bulkhead for seam sealer failure up in the top corners.

If your windscreen guys can't seal it first time, you need a new windscreen guy. These trucks are a little tricky because of the clips and trim but they're stupid common so no real excuses.

Another possibility...

When I pulled my fenders off as I was stripping my truck, I found that the very upper corners of the fenders that is under the windshield trim had rubbed through the paint and allowed a tiny spot of rust, and I had a very minor leak at that spot on both sides of the cab. This is a blurry picture, cropped from a bigger one, but the circled spot is where they were, both sides. I sandblasted, then put some fiberglass over it, then bondo. You will have to remove the cowl and fender to check if this is the problem. Sorry I can't seem to find any closeups.

CabFix.jpg

Thanks All, appreciate it. I've pulled the front carpet sections and that's a start. I'll look at the suggested areas above one by one and hopefully I'll get the problem sorted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom