HDJ81 Sub tank.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Out of curiosity, has anyone installed an OEM sub tank setup on a JDM VX trim HDJ?

I was looking around at some harnesses under the truck and they look like the harnesses to the 2 solenoids (to engine and return). It seems to me that a lot of the wiring already exists but I am VERY curious to the extent of wiring that is currently in the vehicle. Ie sender harness, sub tank switch harness and overhead console wiring. Can one of the harnesses going to the alt/compass work with the gauge?

I doubt it's entirely plug and play but it seems like it would be easier than a gasser...

Cheers everyone.

Shaker on this forum put one into his HDJ81.
I actually have an aftermarket tank in my 80. I got it several years ago from Camping Lab when he was still around. Fits where the factory auxiliary tank or spare tire fits. Hangs down a little but has stood up quite well to some pretty sever abuse. It's manufactured by Front Runner and has a 170L capacity.

Instead of using a complex switching system to pull from two separate tanks it simply has a small fuel pump and transfers to the factory. Very simple and the way the factory vent works for filling it naturally overflows back to the auxiliary tank so the is no risk of over filling.

It did come with a very basic dual filler neck that I replaced with a OEM one that works much better. I had a challenge with flow rate when trying to fill the aux tank which caused some serious delays when trying to get 260L in the truck.

The tank just about paid for it's self on it's first trip up to the Yukon/NWT. Managed to do the Dempster highway to Inuvik and back on one tank.

I actually have an aftermarket tank in my 80. I got it several years ago from Camping Lab when he was still around. Fits where the factory auxiliary tank or spare tire fits. Hangs down a little but has stood up quite well to some pretty sever abuse. It's manufactured by Front Runner and has a 170L capacity.

Instead of using a complex switching system to pull from two separate tanks it simply has a small fuel pump and transfers to the factory. Very simple and the way the factory vent works for filling it naturally overflows back to the auxiliary tank so the is no risk of over filling.

It did come with a very basic dual filler neck that I replaced with a OEM one that works much better. I had a challenge with flow rate when trying to fill the aux tank which caused some serious delays when trying to get 260L in the truck.

The tank just about paid for it's self on it's first trip up to the Yukon/NWT. Managed to do the Dempster highway to Inuvik and back on one tank.

Wow very cool!

How much of your system utilizes some of the oem setup? Other than the filler neck... Did you have the overhead console fuel gauge? Or is this totally custom?

My understanding is that the switching system just has two solenoids that changes the route of the supply an return between the two tanks?

I have an OEM one from OZ sitting in the garage with all wiring and solenoids. Honestly, it's probably easier to buy a dual filler from Akella, use a transfer pump and have someone local weld up the tank.

It's a bit of work to retrofit. 13 GA isn't worth it for me.

Edit: the overhead console retrofit isn't that hard. If I do install mine, I'l' have the sender read on my main gauge via a relay. Push the subtank and now the main gauge reads sub level. Easier.....like the old ford pick-ups

Last edited:
I have an OEM one from OZ sitting in the garage with all wiring and solenoids. Honestly, it's probably easier to buy a dual filler from Akella, use a transfer pump and have someone local weld up the tank.

It's a bit of work to retrofit. 13 GA isn't worth it for me.

Edit: the overhead console retrofit isn't that hard. If I do install mine, I'l' have the sender read on my main gauge via a relay. Push the subtank and now the main gauge reads sub level. Easier.....like the old ford pick-ups

I'm still having trouble understanding the difficulty in the retrofit...

There is obviously work in piping, which I can find from different sources, and mounting the tank, but and as far as I can tell, the solenoid wiring is already in place...

EDIT: I'm a purist so my goal is to attempt to be 99% OEM.

Personally, I would rather have 13 gallons in my sub, than 2+ cans of fuel strapped on the back...I prefer to have 10 gallons of water in my jerrycan holder. The install can be done fairly easily, just takes time to get the required parts, and patience to do it right. 24 gallons would be better, but those tanks do not show up that often anymore. I am not sure how much of the wiring and plugs exist in the standard HDJ81 loom, but even the US FJ and FZJ80's had some of the plugs and wires, even though the pin-outs were in odd plugs inside the cab.

I did fab a custom loom for the subtank console, but decided not to install the gauge. I have never worried about the level of the sub, as my use has been to simply pump the whole sub contents to the main when the main goes to reserve. With the diesel, this would be different, though, if you go with the tank cross-over switch to draw from one or the other tanks...where you would indeed want to know the level of the sub.

Last edited:
I hear an older 4runner tank is an easy bojang back there. I looked into it and decided that i didn't like the tail clearance under there and opted for and in board rear winch and recovery gear tray instead. I picked up a couple of 15 gallon stackable that i pack on my rack and gravity feed them to refill my main tank on an expo trip if need be. Can be a little sketchy on the off camber to say the least though with the extra weight up high.

SHREDwagon could you shed some light on this wiring? I have given up on trying to fit a working gauge on my subtank and solely rely on kms to guess how much fuel i have left.

Haven't installed it yet. In theory:
f150fueldiagram.jpg

Ah very cool. That's how it works on a 100 series. I drove a sub tank fitted 100 the other day, and the fuel gauge changes from main to sub every time you press the sub tank button.

Personally, I'd like to have 2 active gauges. The coolness factor is worth the effort for me. I like the technical challenge.

Well I was checking out my dad's 80 here in Saudi Arabia. It is a 91 3F with the dual solenoid sub tank system.

IMG_1782.JPG

I recognize the harnesses from my truck so that backed up my theory there... now to see if other wiring is present.

It looks like doing this oem wouldn't be that bad if all the hoses and components can be found cost effectively.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom