Two days before leaving for Baja... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.squashingrocks.com
...I see coolant under my truck.

:(

I didn't have time to properly diagnose it because I noticed it on my lunch break (and had to make sure the most likely items to fail would be available tomorrow, not next week), so I ordered a water pump, thermostat, and belts from Toyota. They'll be in at 9am and I have the day off work if I need it, so hopefully I'll be back in good shape for Saturday morning. The bearings seem fine in the pump, but it's an aftermarket (NPW or something) pump so I am hoping it had a seal failure. There's a film of coolant everywhere, so I'll try to clean it up a bit, re-assemble tomorrow, and see if I find any other leaks.

Other than the water pump, are there any common leak areas I should pay close attention to? It was kinda everywhere so hard to isolate. The radiator hoses were dry (as was the water neck/tstat housing area/hose) and I believe the whole bottom of the radiator was dry as well (radiator looks nearly perfect), so I doubt that was the issue.

Do the 1FZFE's have external coolant leaks with head gasket failure? I haven't noticed smoke or anything and the truck runs perfectly (no boiling coolant, no weird temperature issues, same lack of power as always) so I'm crossing my fingers that it's just a water pump.

have you checked the heater hose near the firewall?

have you checked the heater hose near the firewall?
I hadn't yet (I was seeing coolant under the front of the truck - puddle under the water pump area). I just checked it and other than a badly weeping valve cover gasket (mental note), it looks okay.

I bought this earlier this year - now that it's beautiful outside instead of 100+, I should probably re-gasket everything.

I hadn't yet (I was seeing coolant under the front of the truck - puddle under the water pump area). I just checked it and other than a badly weeping valve cover gasket (mental note), it looks okay.

I bought this earlier this year - now that it's beautiful outside instead of 100+, I should probably re-gasket everything.

Did you check the coolant level? Bypass hose? Heater hoses and phh? Any leak from the radiator? Are any hoses hard and cracking?

I would check all hoses and radiator before any gaskets or water pump.

Radiator looks great, all hoses look great, soft and pliable. No noticeable wetness on or near hose clamps or hose ends. Heater hoses at the firewall look OK.

Where's the heater valve? I'll have to find the PHH as well. I dunno where that is yet, except under the intake manifold somewhere. I hope that's not it, as I doubt that'll happen tomorrow.

Check where the radiator hose comes into the block below the distributor. Mine leaks there and I jumped to the conclusion that it was HG or something bad because it was oozing coolant all over the HG area. Its a hard area to see and easily missed. From there it drips down the front of the block over the front axle and basically everything up front.

If your truck blowing smoke? bubbling in your overflow when its at op temp??

Check where the radiator hose comes into the block below the distributor. Mine leaks there and I jumped to the conclusion that it was HG or something bad because it was oozing coolant all over the HG area. Its a hard area to see and easily missed. From there it drips down the front of the block over the front axle and basically everything up front.

If your truck blowing smoke? bubbling in your overflow when its at op temp??
Ohh, that might be it. It was all over the front skidplate, etc. I'll take a look, thanks!!

No smoke. I haven't noticed any bubbling in the overflow (haven't checked), but it hasn't been pressurizing the cooling system and venting coolant through the overflow (just seems like a drip from somewhere).

This leak makes it look like the HG is failing where my finger is pointing to. But its really coming from the gasket between the block and the radiator top hose piece approximately where the arrow points to.

photo8_zps0a25382c.jpg

Thanks for the pic! I think it may have been my upper radiator hose - it was swollen and nasty. I replaced the water pump and upper radiator hose, as well as all three belts. No leaks. :)

I'll do the t-stat later when I do the PHH, but that can wait a bit.

Thanks everyone!

I'd also check the rear heater lines..... mine were on their last leg when I removed them.... I did the bypass kit.

I'm heading down to Bahia de los Angeles after Christmas. Expect a great trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom