Cold high idle woes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

KLF

Frame waxer
SILVER Star
Threads
Been struggling with a very high cold idle on my 22RE since getting it back on the road a couple of months ago. I had an entire intake from my son's old '89 4Runner (RIP), that had the "straighter" plenum and simpler throttle body, so I did the swap, using several write-ups on the web.

When I start it cold, the idle is really high (2000-2100 rpm), makes it hard to drive. But it does eventually settle down when fully warm, although not consistent. Sometimes it will get down to the 750 where it's supposed to be, but more often it's up around 1000. Really annoying. Checked throttle plate for free motion, the cable AND the dashpot are new, so nothing is binding. Every part was tested before it was put back on the engine, and every vacuum line was replaced with new OEM hose, so I'm confident that I don't have a vacuum leak, failed EGR, or failed sensor. So, I suspect the IACV (Idle Air Control Valve) on the bottom of the throttle body, which I didn't take apart prior to installing. :bang:

As an experiment, I pulled off the plastic intake and put a piece of Gorilla tape over the inlet hole, upstream of the throttle plate, effectively blocking off the IACV. Put the intake back on, started the engine cold, it would barely run, had to hold the throttle open just to keep it running. When I remove the tape, the high idle is back. That tells me the IACV is opening too far.

Pulled the TB off, removed the IACV, it was dirty but not clogged. Tested it in hot water, the themostat does close the air passage off, but not fully. Diagnosis: the spring is weak from lots of miles, age, and heat/cool cycles.

These things are a huge pain to adjust, assuming I can make a special socket to turn the adjusting collar. I'm thinking I should just get a new one. Sam quoted me $215 from OEM, ouch. Today I find that NAPA sells them, aftermarket, for $120.

I'm usually an "OEM ONLY" person, but this is tempting. Should I give it a try? Anybody ever gone this route?

I'm gonna be :mad: if this doesn't fix the problem.

What you need to do, and what helped me on my 86 22re, is to swap to the later style (1990 and newer) intake.

Gets rid of the IAC and simplifies things a bit. I had better cold starts after doing this.

You'll need the intake, throttle cable, throttle cable bracket(that bolts to the intake) and some coolant hose (5/8? maybe) and the associated gaskets.

What you need to do, and what helped me on my 86 22re, is to swap to the later style (1990 and newer) intake.

Ummm... ya if you read the first paragraph, I've already done this. '89 was actually the crossover year.

The offending part:
IMAG0200.jpg

This is the "collar" that you have to adjust, but I can't get it to move, I'll need to make a custom socket to catch those slots.
IMAG0201.jpg

Port in the intake (about 7 o'clock position), where the air bypasses the throttle plate when the valve is open:
IMAG0202.jpg

Go OEM...I have learned the hard way...It's too expensive to be cheap. Then you only have to cry once.

Is that valve something that can be cleaned?

It is cleaned now, or as clean as I can get it until I can get it apart. But I've read that taking it apart damages it, so I don't want to do that.

I just don't trust it as I think the springs have gotten weak, and I want things reliable for the winter. It's a huge PITA to remove, requires draining the coolant and disconnecting a bunch of hoses. Not something I wanna be doing in frigid temps. I'm too old for that kinda thing now. ;)

I've never tried taking it off before. I didn't know if there was coolant or black sludge from the intake that could gum up the works.

If you're certain is the IAC I'd buck up and spend the extra $100 on a part you know is going to work.

If you're just trying it out for testing purposes maybe go Napa.

I've come across the same problems in my Trackers/Sidekicks I've had over the last few years as run-abouts. I've used carb clean and compressed air to solve those but they're a stepper motor and not spring actuated. I actually priced one out for my last '94 Sidekick and got quoted $400, seeing as I paid $500 for the whole truck I declined any new parts haha.

OK, OK. Called Sam this afternoon and ordered up the OEM part. I'll report back how it worked out when I get it installed and on the road again.

Now I need to nurse a few more weeks out of my dying red top. Need to get a sale price on a Diehard Platinum.

I'm waiting for that wonderful 80% off sale on Odyssey batteries that happens in my dreams.

Care package arrived yesterday from Sam:

IMAG0213.jpg

IMAG0214.jpg

It was a very frustrating evening in the garage, but fortunately it was just a stupid mistake on my part, all is well now. I put everything together, refilled the coolant, and fired up the engine. Or at least I tried, my old Optima is dying so it won't hold much of a charge despite charging it for 3-4 hours a day on my bench charger. So, jumper cables from the wife's car, it started up, but it ran TERRIBLE. Idle was way too low, had to keep on the gas just to keep it running. It was like it had a massive vacuum leak. Problem was, I couldn't keep it running long enough to get out of the cab and under the hood to hear if there was any leaks. Argh! So pissed, that I spent all this time and energy, just to be so close to the finish line, and it rewarded me by not running. So, I started checking things, figured it had to be something simple. Pulled the intake tube back off to check for cracks (none), then I opened the throttle to peer down the throat and discovered that the TB gasket had rotated about 45 degrees while I was installing the TB and I hadn't noticed, so it was partially obstructing the throttle opening, and allowing a huge vacuum leak at the back of the TB. Re-installed the gasket, fired it up, and immediately I could tell that the engine was much happier.

Runs sooo much better now. I waited till it got fully warm, then adjusted the idle to ~750 rpms. This morning, turned the key, idle was only around 1400, but shortly settled down to the warm setting again. A new dashpot on the TB also made a HUGE improvement on driveability.

We're expecting 8-12" of snow tomorrow, so I need this thing back reliable. I may have to cave in and buy a new battery sale or no sale.

Glad it worked out. Now you won't have to worry about that again.

Get the DieHard Platinum...Mine takes all the abuse I throw at it. Just the other day my old 88 was one of the few cars that would start in the company parking lots when it was -30. Great battery.

Last edited:
spin_prod_937442012

I have that one too, but I had to get the positive (+) and negative (-) reversed to work on my truck.

Edit: Nevermind, if you turn it around it's the same orientation...:bang:

^ that's the exact battery I'm buying, I need the side terminals as well as the top posts for the aux fuse panel feeds. I just was hoping to catch a sale, I'm kicking myself now for not buying it in August when they had them for $197. Plus I really really don't want to go into holiday shoppers this weekend, I have no patience for the crowds. But at this point the old red top is no longer reliable, I'm kinda afraid to leave the house as I may end up stranded begging for a jump.

Well CRAP

Unable to get to Sears for the past 4 days but I've been checking prices and availability every day. Been dealing with no power since Wednesday afternoon (still not back on) so having to babysit the generator. Finally worked out to go get a battery on Saturday morning, and of course now NONE of the Sears within 100 miles have them in stock, and don't expect any for at least a month.

Now what do I do? Really don't want to buy another Optima but I gotta have dual terminals.

I can't believe how badly I screwed this up... :bang:

Just buy a cheap one that can be used for now? I was using a bi-mart with grounds for 2winches two grounds for my truck and warn 620 watt lights all on two terminals and never had an issue. It'd be cheaper for now.

Well I learned today to not trust the inventory on the Sears website. Called the closest Auto Center this morning just for the heck of it, they had plenty in stock, always do. All set for winter now.

IMAG0225.jpg

This battery is much bigger than the optima that it replaced, hopefully that means more capacity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom