Oil Change Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you're skinny sure. Just remove the front skid plate. It covers the entire bottom of the engine from front bumper to transmission. This will give you access to filter and oil pan.
Done. I'll stick with a lift though.

Is it possible to change the oil in a 200 series without using ramps or a lift?

Thanks,
Kevin

Just the oil? Sure - pump it out through the dipstick tube. The filter is more challenging, but could be done with the truck on the ground, I suppose. I would much rather use some ramps, jackstands or a lift if any of those were available.

HTH

I've done it sans ramps.....just parked with front wheels on the "hump" in my driveway. It sucked though, my arms are too long and my back, neck, and shoulders are too old.

Ramps are the ticket here, much more room to work.

Sent from my extremely unreliable mobile device using IH8MUD Forum

So, I am considering adding a 200 to my drive and I have always changed my oil on the 80 and 100. On the 100 there is a smaller panel that can be removed so you don't have to remove the entire skid. I take it that the 200 does not have this?

The entire skid plate must be removed to access the filter and drain plug.

Wow! Sometimes engineering seems to go backwards in time. I love the fact that I can slide under my 100, drop two small bolts and reach up and grab the oil filter to replace. I would have thought the 200 had something similar.

Well to be fair, the 200 has 3 bolts, only 1 more than a 100. :)

3 bolts for the entire skid? Wow! No, the 100's full skid has 4 or 6. The little panel in the skid only has two. 3 is not too bad.

The entire skid plate must be removed to access the filter and drain plug.

Actually, only half the skid plate needs to be removed to access the filter. As I responded in another thread where some comments were bred by the confusion present in this thread:

And where did you get that bit of misinformation?

To get to the oil filter on my 200, I have to remove the left hand front fender splash shield sub-assembly - that's 3 bolts - and then the No. 1 engine under cover sub-assembly (that's the TIS terminology for the left half of the skid plate) - that's another 5 bolts. My math (and trust me, I'm very good at math) tells me that's 8 bolts to remove just half the skid plate - definitely not "only 3 bolts holding on the entire skid plate."

To get to the oil drain plug, it's another 2 bolts to remove the No. 2 engine under cover seal.

Honestly, I have yet to find any "under engineering" anywhere in my 200 ;)

HTH

Well to be fair, the 200 has 3 bolts, only 1 more than a 100. :)

To get to the oil filter on my 200, I have to remove the left hand front fender splash shield sub-assembly - that's 3 bolts - and then the No. 1 engine under cover sub-assembly (that's the TIS terminology for the left half of the skid plate) - that's another 5 bolts. My math (and trust me, I'm very good at math) tells me that's 8 bolts to remove just half the skid plate - definitely not "only 3 bolts holding on the entire skid plate."

To get to the oil drain plug, it's another 2 bolts to remove the No. 2 engine under cover seal.

HTH

3 bolts for the entire skid? Wow! No, the 100's full skid has 4 or 6. The little panel in the skid only has two. 3 is not too bad.

HTH

I ended up using my ramps. I was able to replace some broken bolts inthe skid plate. But, I did see evidence of a leaky water pump, there was plenty on pinkish crust. It there any threads around here detailing how to replace the water pump?

I haven't seen any here, but I know you would have good luck on the Tundra Forums

I have done water pump replacement on 2007 Tundra 5.7L few years back. PDF file is attached. Steps will be similar.

Attachments

• WATER PUMP DIY.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 547
I ended up using my ramps. I was able to replace some broken bolts inthe skid plate. But, I did see evidence of a leaky water pump, there was plenty on pinkish crust. It there any threads around here detailing how to replace the water pump?

How many miles on your 200?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom