new member with 97 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone. I'm new member. My name is Erik. I own a 97 Sr5 4runner. Auto and no locker. Bought it with around 174k for $2800 month later head gasket blew. Ended up putting JDM motor for $1500. I have done many many maintance. Timing belt kit, radiator, plugs and wires, valve cover gaskets, Toyota oem coolant, changed all fluids , changed lower, upper, inner , outter, both axles, new steering rack bushings, stainless steel brake lines, new front brakes, have wire wheeled all and most of surface rust where I could see and reach. Painted it with VHT chassy paint. Have used 6 cans of Eastwood internal frame coating inside the frame and body cavities. Installed tundra 5100 shocks upfront with eibachs, 5100 in rear with superflex, Sonora steel bump stops. Trail gear rock sliders. Whinston metal works custom roof rack , not on yet but needs to be painted. Rat 3/16 skid plate. Raptor lined the bumpers. In few weeks I'll be raptor lining, the rock sliders, roof rack, hitch, and skid plate.

Also last Sunday I picked up all the parts for manual swap of a 97 4runner 4x4 3.4L. The only thing the guy kept was, MANUAL ECU, HARNESS, FLYWHEEL, CLUTCH. I'll be changing the tranny seals, all u-joints, new clutch new flywheel , fluids. If I'm missing on what to re fresh on the manual tranny/transfer case let me know. Donor truck had 240k.

At the moment photobucket is down !!!! Grrrrrr. Anyways I'm sure I missed some things lol.

I will upload pics once I can.

But I have some questions for you guys. Hope you can help me with the manual swap. Since I didnt get the ecu, harness , flywheel of the donor truck. Can I get away with just getting a 97 5VZ M/T ECU and use my auto 97 harness ? Maybe change some pins ? I found some ecu on eBay, some on car parts website. Maybe someone could provide a wiring diagram ? Flywheel bolts part number ? Or if I need manual.harness where to get one. Simply put I don't want any codes as in NJ I will fail inspection.

When I got the truck.

IMAG0128.jpg

Truck now, ( also waiting on my burtman carbon fiber door pillar cover. )

IMAG0739.jpg

Have you used Google?

Yea I tried, but most threads deal with older truck. As in people swapping the 5vz with manual to an older truck. Some say it can some say no. Haven't really found a thread where it actually explains if you can use auto harness with manual ecu.

This is for the wiring harness CEL is gonna be on, at minimum. Can keep harness with minor mods but I recommend new ecu from manual rig then no CEL issue

Sorry, If I understand you correctly... Your saying if you I use same year manual ecu and my harness with some mods to the harness ( auto ) I will have no CEL ? Because my goal is to "not" have any codes show up. But I'd like to achieve this with 97 manual ecu / 97 auto engine harness. Getting manual ecu isn't a problem. And if so, I'm curious what kinda mods I will have to do ? Re-pin ? Will I need new harness connectors ?

Your harness will require some mods yes. I don't know what ones as that is all my buddy who's done auto to manual swaps told me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom