Aircon install, HJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I added A/C to a Canadian HJ60 and the wiring was already there under the dash for the AC amplifier and control button. I don't remember for sure if the clutch wire was already there but I think it was.

well i managed to score a aircon setup from another wreck for $100, Bargain, so far ive mounted the compressor and nearly finished in the engine bay.
The great thing with buying a system of another vehicle, i was able to remove all the parts, and got to see how everything went on etc. Theres quite a few components.
In the engine bay theres the Harmonic balancer, idler pulley bracketry, which bolts to the compressor and upper alternator bracketry, drier bracket 4 aircon hoses, condensor, Idle up valve, and water pump additional pulley. Inside the car you have the aircon evaporator unit, amplifier, and a/c switch. All the plugs are sitting there which is good! The amplifier is shot, its had water in it at some point and is corroded. I could repair the amplifier, as it appears to be only a few resistors that are corroded?? not sure Im thinking of ditching it entirely and just running an adjustable generic thermostat and just wiring it up like this.

A/C switch ---------->Thermostat------------>Hi Lo pressure switch------------>Relay----------->Clutch
anyone see an issue doing this?

Thermostat i was planning to use
http://speedyairspares.com.au/produ...llary_suits_Under_Dash_A_C_units-831-299.html
I want to upgrade a few things, as im going to R134A, so i was thinking of fitting a parrallel flow condenser from a late model holden, as they are really cheap and have a #6 and #8 hose end, Ill need adapters as they are female and the toyota is male, plus the toyota appears to have a #5 small line.
The original serpintine condenser is buggered.
The toyota a/c lines appear to be in good nick, but they are for the old R12 system, if i can pull a good vaccuum with them is there any point in getting new lines?
Ive ordered new o'rings, R12 to R134A adapters for the charge points, condensor, Hi low pressure switch and drier, and some new oil to replace whats in the compressor, also considering replacing the front seal and o'rings on the compressor, but will see if it holds vac first
I still havent removed the harmonic balancer from the donor vehicle yet as i didnt have a 46mm socket

Pictures

amplifier board

Evaporator unit

Low pressure switch (need to replace with hi/lo)

Temp probe

Hoses

Pulleys brackets etc bolted on

water pump pulley

Idle up actuator for the throttle body

can you please tell me where does the wire from the compressor connect to? Mine was wired to a manual switch by PO and I cannot find where he pulled the wire from. The compressor cycles on and off every so often so I have to keep at it manually while I drive. I recently had my whole dash taken apart do remove all the hacks but I ran out of time so I let the ac compressor manually wired. Winter's almost here and I don't see myself needing it anymore this year. A picture showing where it is wired would be great. I have the FSM and all but I couldn't find the cut end to reconnect. I am thinking of just running the wire straight to the corresponding pin as per diagram. I however wanted to make sure I look for the cut end first.

Theres a black wire with a white trace in the same harness as the alternator. Ill take a pic tonight, as ive gotta go out.
So, it sounds like someones bypassed the pressure switch amplifier and everything? so what controls the cycling of the compressor? Just the toggle switch?

Yes and when I bought the truck the po hadn't a clue about the workings of it. He just said a shop had it bypassed cause it wasn't working. I had to learn to switch it on and off every 40 or so seconds so that I wouldnt freeze the lines. Connecting it to the alternator means its gona be back to stock? I can buy and replace the pressure switch, should that be the culprit.

Gareth if you use some newer parts as your talking,thermo?-pressure swith can you give some details if it works out,gotta rip into mine one day and instead of dealing with 25+ yr old parts that run the system i would be definetly interested in hearing of simpler or generic parts to update it so to speak.

yeah no worries, im hoping it all works out, main reason for the commodore condenser is because it is a parallel flow unit which is more efficent and more suited to R134A, So far the VP commodore condensor seems to be the easiest to adapt, similar size, connections on the correct side etc, and realy cheap new, under $100. still debating on whether i replace the TX valve, i cleaned it out, will probably just see how it goes, Compressor is easy to reseal and cheap, and a few good tutorials on Youtube regarding the Denso 10P15C compressor, it seems to be a pretty decent unit, speedy air spares has all the bits required, a reseal end up under $100
ill keep this thread updated

Excellent advice. Now if u could post a pic of the stock compressor wiring. So I can revert mine, that would be great. I have a whole ac system as spare. I bought it to install in my gasser 60 prior to selling it. If any of the parts turn out to be faulty, I have replacements. On another note, the ac is friggen cold and works wonderfully.

thats the only way to go with swapping in a/c....rob off a similar vehicle in the salvage yard and get all the parts. You might want to get a new compressor and new dryer though.

just bought this on ebay

0M251B_2014031304481043.jpg

0M251B_20140313044811361.jpg

seeing as my ac amplifier is buggered i figured this might be a good alternative for an AC thermostat, comes with temp probe and the cutout point is adjustable from like -50 to 110°C, was like $5.00 on ebay

Excellent advice. Now if u could post a pic of the stock compressor wiring. So I can revert mine, that would be great. I have a whole ac system as spare. I bought it to install in my gasser 60 prior to selling it. If any of the parts turn out to be faulty, I have replacements. On another note, the ac is friggen cold and works wonderfully.

not much to see, but the black wire with white trace with plastic plug on it goes to the ac compressor

not much to see, but the black wire with white trace with plastic plug on it goes to the ac compressor

Brilliant, thanks. I will check mine to see
Thanks

just bought this on ebay

0M251B_2014031304481043.jpg

seeing as my ac amplifier is buggered i figured this might be a good alternative for an AC thermostat, comes with temp probe and the cutout point is adjustable from like -50 to 110°C, was like $5.00 on ebay

Hey can you let me know how this thing works out my amp board is stuffed also and would like to convert to something like this. also i would have no idea how to wire it up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom