More carb issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had some carb issues. Here's the background. 1977 australian RHD no smog(not desmogged)

This vehicle had been a non runner for years. I did a rough gas tank cleaning in the beginning. All was well, ran fine for a while. rebuilt the carb when It started stalling. Then all was well. Then it started acting up again. Most likely the float sticking open both time. Too much fuel in the float bowl. Sometimes I thought it was empty but it was so full it looked empty. So i took it apart again to check and I found I bunch of crud in the fuel bowl. See below

So my question is how could all of this get in there so quickly. 2-3 weeks of running? How could this get passed a fuel filter? Can it be coming in through the fuel return with some sort of back pressure? I know I need to do something more with the tank, but I'm not sure I can find a replacement because it's different than US tanks.

Also all fuel lines have been replaced.

Also what other ways can gas become contaminated? Is there any way fuel vapor system could be allowing the fuel to become spoiled?

As always I can't thank y'all enough for the advice.

get-attachment.aspx.jpeg

It has a fuel return line. Metal-rubber-metal. All were cleaned or replaced. however i just recanted noticed i had a decent kink in the metal line. I have a new line to bend to replace it. There is still a reasonable flow through it. What affect could that have?

It could be coming out of the metal lines after the filter or it could be getting by the filter because it has a hole in it. Either way, it is bad and you need to get rid of the source or it will keep coming back and giving you problems.

I originally took all the metal lines off. Filled them with parts cleaner, let sit, blew out with compressed air and repeat until everything came out clean. they seemed very clean, but I'm beginning to wonder if this left some rust in there that needs to be brushed out. If so, what can I use? have jammed wire in as far as it would go (just recently to see if it was dirty but all that came out was fine rust dust that i was scraping off.

JohnnyC- Also the "kink" is really a dent from something that must have hit it, which must have happened a long time ago.

Pin_Head- i really cleaned those well in the very beginning. And I have a new OEM fuel pump, which was installed with a new filter when installing the rebuilt carb. In the 2-3 weeks of running afterwards I drained the tank twice to try to asses the problem.

Also when ever I would pull the rubber fuel line before the filter it would run orange/brownish for a little while. I could pull this hose and it would do this every morning. Could it be breaking down the insides of the rubber hose? It seems more likely to be loosening the rust/old fuel tar.

How does your fuel filter look? If bad then replace and put a second fuel filter in line.

I've been through 2 in a month. They are new, but don't seem to be working, hence wondering how it is getting in the carb.

I don't doubt you, but it has to be comming from somewhere. Maybe someone is opening you hood at night, taking off your air cleaner and pouring dirt into the bowl vent tubes.

I have been using the generic clear ones lately to see what's going on. Are they just that poor of a product? Or is there any other way that this could be happening? Remember, the float has filling the bowl to excess, and any driving (test driving) requires at least half choke to keep from dying.

I'm just trying to write everything in case someone can offer a glimmer of hope. I do plan on having the tank professionally cleaned and lined, but I am trying to find all of the problems. And I'm not sure the tank is the only one.

You are getting rust... You need to find where it is... You said you pulled the line from the tank to the fuel pump and your getting reddish/brown ... That is rust... Until it gets cleaned and sealed it will continue to happen

Remember it had been sitting for years as you said ... Any moisture in the lines or tank... Now you have a spot that can rust

Even though you cleaned it out (the lines) if they have not been sealed from the inside ... They are still rusty

IMO replace the steel lines with metal lines you bend yourself and get the tank cleaned and sealed

That sounds like a plan JohnnyC. There was water getting into the fuel. I saw it once in the filter. I added a water separator to the fuel line temporarily, but the carb had already been clogged at that time. So any rust in the tank or lines could just be growing. There was a small hole drilled in the gas filler neck, right next the gas cap, I assume some kind of vent. I think the water might have been getting in there.

I don't doubt you, but it has to be comming from somewhere. Maybe someone is opening you hood at night, taking off your air cleaner and pouring dirt into the bowl vent tubes.
Now that's FUNNY!.....(but stranger things have happened) :poof:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom