Installing air con in bj73 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys i have a landcruiser bj73 lx model which strangely came without air conditioning. There is a bj73 lx model (same year) which has air con at the wreckers...could i rip out all the air con components from that and install it in mine?What componenets would i need to take from the car e.g condensor, air con compressor, hoses, belts...anything else?

What is the installation like?

Thanks guys, i really appreciate it.

Steve

Wiring harness and relays, compressor mounts and idlers.

I did the same with my BJ60 but used mostly FJ60 parts. The A/C guy said it would never work but fortunately he was wrong!!

Hi mate, thanks for the reply

What will i need to rip off the car at the wreckers for the air con? e.g. condensor, compressor, what wiring?what hoses etc...

Thanks

What will i need to rip off the car at the wreckers for the air con? e.g. condensor, compressor, what wiring?what hoses etc...

Thanks

I would go consult an aircon guy . Tracing all the wiring back is a big job . I might be easier to get just the main components and install new wire.
You may need the blower box if it is different to an aircon model.

The aircon is the same as the 60 and other 70 series and most australian installers know their way around these systems.
I paid someone about $700 in labour and parts to reinstall the aircon in my 73 series but yours will be a bigger job as your 73 never had it.

You may be better off buying the new style compressor to suit the ozone friendly gas.

The wrecker should know what parts you need

Thanks

If it were me I'd start with the A/C components and keep taking stuff off till I got to the main wiring harness. You'll need ALL hoses for the A/C system though you may need new ones if the ones you have are not R134a compatible.

Pardon me?

The evaporator cores between 60s and 70s are interchangeable?

CD -
Not sure about interchangeability, but Denso's website lists OEM replacement parts (other than cooler box) on their website at good prices compared to Mr. Toyota. US website only shows 60/62 parts, but other country web viewers may be able to see 7X parts. Screen shot below shows 2F cooler core. Use the link below and hit "Find My Part"

http://densoautoparts.com/evaporators

upload_2014-10-2_8-42-7.png

Thanks, lumpy and Ward.

I almost made a rather costly mistake ($528USD, pre freight) purchasing a complete used set up from Oz, not realizing a difference between LHD and RHD.

List from the other thread, for posterity:

image.jpg
image.jpg

The part number for "Unit Assembly, Cooler" 88510-60440 results all LHD ZJ7Xs, which is a relief to me.

A few questions that may possibly point me in the right direction, on an '89VMJ73 LHD 12V:

Would the newer 88510-60440 Unit Assembly, Cooler, aka evaporator core be compatible with the '89 VMJ73s existing blower and heater core assembly?

The part numbers for the VMJ73's evaporator core (88510-90K01) and heater core, blower assembly differ from the ZJ7Xs that resulted, reason for posing.

Would it be prudent to source the complete heater/cooler/blower assemblies from a corresponding model year and optioned vehicle that I'm using the wiring harness from?

That's instead of keeping what's existing in the VMJ73, adapting to a newer controller and newer wiring harness (and all the little chit I can't list yet)?

I wasn't thinking beyond buying an AC unit from the same year as the wiring harness and ECU intended, but now confused on what's the most logical approach.

Use parts of the VMJ73 and ZJ7X or swap all out to ZJ7X, including heater/blower, control panel, harness, mebbe even the heater hoses at the firewall?

I got my LHD non AC parts from ENS Toyota. They had all the LHD pieces brand new that they pull out of mine trucks. I inserted the AC pieces where needed.

When I did my conversion; https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/bj74-lhd-conversion.212526/, I only bought the evaporator in a LHD (from Japan 4x4 on this forum) as the one I had was RHD. All of the rest of the parts I needed to be LHD as well, but I bought as a "mine truck take out" from ENS Toyota (http://www.ensindustrial.ca/Home). This would be all the ducting, the heater core etc. They won't list this on their website but they should have them new in box wholesale if you call direct.

All the ducting and such was <$200, but the Evaporator was about $1000. Probably more now.

For all the pain it was, if I was to do it over again, and what I am recommending for Behemoth60 for his build (https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/peters-ultimate-expo-land-cruiser-build-thread.785183/) as parts become less available is to go this route:
http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalog/ac-systems-parts/custom-street-rod-ac-units-c-1_32000000.html
or
http://www.summitracing.com/search/brand/vintage-air

Thanks for clarifying my assumptions, lumpy.

Due a blower motor, already, as it's fighting to be heard over a valve's swan song, so a replacement heater assembly may be the better course, too.

Curious how any of this may impact to firewall heater hose, but will figure out soon enough.

the ENS trucks since the dash redesign don't work with earlier 70 series. The heater section fits, but the blower and a/c evap case are one piece and the vent tube across top is different as are the ducts.

the 88510-60510 evap case is slightly later production and $300 cheaper than the 88510-60440. It emerges from same spot, is R12, but may use a different thread and pitch- but those later lines can be found as well.

the 88510-60510 evap case is slightly later production and $300 cheaper than the 88510-60440.

Rick,
Is the 88510-60510 case what's in the ENS trucks?

Clarifying that the 88510-60440 is, in fact, what I'm hunting.

Gonna back up a second and reiterate what I'm doing, to see if y'all may be able to assist in determining what direction to go.

This is a VMJ73 and there's Spanish product littered throughout the Toyota, the only way I can ascertain by the labeling, not by sight (as Joe K could when he saw).

What's existing....

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

For lack of better descriptive, converting the VMJ to FZJ, and have the harness and ECU from an FZJ 75 en route, although it does not have the necessary pigtail or amplifier for the AC control panel.

I assumed, first, that sourcing the AC parts from the same donor was a good idea, but RHD, and not viable.

My thinking is sourcing a LHD AC panel and pigtail, then sourcing whatever blower and EVAP core y'all say will fit, to avoid hacking the VMJ harness and sourcing the compressor switch, that I'm assuming goes on the far right blank on the control panel.

Any guidance is appreciated, since I can find none that have previously undertaken.

CD-

#1, all the pre 2007 ENS dash stuff is in a dump somewhere in saskatoon.
#2, no ENS cab chassis ever got factory a/c.
--either a bypass duct, or the new trucks get a gutted case that has the blower.

evap cases:
R12 early with std us style pipe threading (60440)
R12 mid with unknown thread, but not us style (60510)
R134a later -who the hell cares (6Axxx)
late late (2007+) R134a which the lines bolt in with o ring fitting up high on firewall and has the blower

R12 is much mo better than R134a, I think i had 36 degrees at the ducts with R12. In AZ, you might get 45 degrees in mid summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom