Hitting the UAE desert (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Today we could book some holiday days - again in UAE :)

I have booked an Rantal car (with 4x4) and hope that it will be at least an Fortuner at the end.

We are there between 23.3 and 25.3, staying in Al Khis. Later we stay a short time in dubay, before we leave but my girlfriend want to just relax at the beach then.

It would be absolutely amazing when we could do a desert trip there with you, Desert Nomad!

I don't know where you live, if it is near, if you have time - but maybe i`m lucky :popcorn:

It would be nice to meet you!

4x4tripping

@xkennx: unfortunately Ras Al-Khaimah looks a bit far for this short holidays :frown:

We'll if you change your mind let me know - I am traveling between Iraq, Pakistan, and Thailand these next couple months but usually back home in RAK on the weekends.

I'll send you my contact details when I get to a real computer. But if your wife is looking for a beach to relax check out RAK Hilton Resort or where I live Al Hamra Resort/Golf Course. (RAK is 1/10 the chaos of Dubai)

I'm living in the neighbouring city sharjah approx 20 mins out of dubai. We'll keep in touch and hopefully would be able to set up a nice short drive also know some very mild routes through the desert to keep the rental car from falling apart if they do decide to give one of the "smaller" 4x4's

Ordered a scanguage for the cruiser, setup the transmission fluid temperature gauge on it. Just wondering what is the optimal oil temperature range, will be monitoring temp changes city/highway driving and how it fares off road once I find the avg temp range will put on an oil cooler to help with the summer heat

didn't have much time to find a "clean" way to route the wires from mounting position so pulled off a blank switch and routed through the opening

Desert Nomad, why don't you use a bluetooth device?

I personally use the PLX kiwi with the torque android app. Check them out here:
https://plxdevices.com/product_info.php?id=GSSTBLUETOOTH

I taped the device under the steering wheel with some double sided tape and it automatically connects with my phone whenever I enter my car.

This is a screenshot of the torque app, you can add whatever gauges you want.

http://imgur.com/5370DSu

I had my eye on the go point as well as the kiwi for a while. For the time being all I need is a fault code reader and it was a plus I'm able to get the transmission temperature reading, I wanted something simple that would work on its own wether or not I had a smartphone on me. I said once I'm accustomed to it if I need more features I would upgrade to one of the bluetooth modules.

Updated the mod list yet again, need to iron out what should be done and what's unneeded.

For now had an impulse buy and got my fender full of holes.

Pulled out air filter box

stuck a piece of paper on the cruiser

then hacked at it

and hacked some more

holes line up?

snorkel time

Pulled the side steps and wheel arches off, looks much better but I was shocked there wasn't the rocker panel cover underneath. I was under the impression they weren't on the LX and with the LC should be already installed.

can anyone confirm if this is the same as the other '13 cruisers or if they have the panels underneath.

How deep (what number?) is the tint, and how does it affect your night vision?

Is there an option of having the snorkel face backwards so you're not sucking in sand and dirt kicked up by vehicles ahead of you?

How deep (what number?) is the tint, and how does it affect your night vision?

Front is 50%, Sides and rear are 70% but they have faded slightly since new.. Not had any problems with night driving but I'm prepared with all the aux lighting. The only time i had trouble was reversing in unlit areas, roll down the windows no problems also I mounted a reverse/camping light at the rear.

Is there an option of having the snorkel face backwards so you're not sucking in sand and dirt kicked up by vehicles ahead of you?

There's one clamp at the top of the snorkel you just loosen that and flip it round... I think it's the same design on all safari snorkels

** Just realised on the older 200's the side step and rocker panel were separate, on my '13 they are connected to the steps.

Last edited:
Installed some custom camo seat covers. Earlier covers had the foam badly done and was constantly pushing on the right side of my back this feels much better and shouldn't trap dust and lint like the old ones did.
20140524_195624.jpg

20140524_195629.jpg

20140524_195735.jpg

Hi DN,
Excellent set-up . Im in Dubai swell and have a 2010 model. Just want to confirm if registration is an issue with the off-road bumper ?

Hi DN,
Excellent set-up . Im in Dubai swell and have a 2010 model. Just want to confirm if registration is an issue with the off-road bumper ?
For registration you need to swap back to stock bumper to pass through. Important to check with insurance if they'll cover damages in case of an accident.

Finally got a gas strut installed on the wheel carrier and stopper welded in to hold it open and stop it whipping round and into the taillights.
20140925_205931.jpg
20140925_205937.jpg
20140925_205954.jpg
20140925_210016.jpg

Fitted pizza cutters to the 200 255/75R17, couldn't find 80, cooper discoverer s/t maxx. :confused: Only one way to find out if it's a mistake or not. Take a quick drive through the dunes without deflating and see how they handle.
20141001_130930_HDR.jpg
20141001_130850_HDR.jpg
20141001_130921_HDR.jpg

Those are THIN!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom