BJ70 or wait for HZJ70 series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FIF

Threads
My FJ40 unfortunately is long gone. I need all the help I can get in making a sound decision on my next purchase. Should I just go ahead and purchase a BJ70 series? Should I just wait until next year to hopefully catch up with a HZJ70 series? Any knowledge would be much appreciated.
Unfortunately, I'm only a parts changer and def not a mechanic. Does anyone have know of any good diesel mechanics in the Indianapolis area?

do a search and find your own answer ...
search 3B and parts availibility
search 1HZ and look at the spec. still made today so parts are around for years to come
do a search on drivetrain spec. post vrs pre 90
in the end it is a no brainer, unless of course you have little patience.

do a search and find your own answer ...
search 3B and parts availibility
search 1HZ and look at the spec. still made today so parts are around for years to come
do a search on drivetrain spec. post vrs pre 90
in the end it is a no brainer, unless of course you have little patience.
Wayne, I have no doubt that you are correct in your assessment however to say "the 70's legacy for reliability and capability is principally based on the 1HZ" is somewhat of a stretch. I believe the 3B, 13B-T, and 2H played a large role in determining the image of the 70 Series that Toyota enjoys today.

Last edited:
Patience is it? Last night I sold an FZJ80, and I'll probably let the LJ70 go, just as soon as I find an HZJ77.

If I could have a hzj7#, I would for sure, but not because of the 1HZ, it would be due to the 4 door 77 wagon, still a HD version, with the bells and whistles, I would prefer to have a 12ht in it if possible, but wouldn't complain with 1HZ
No doubt the 1Hz has reliability, and plenty of parts, .......... in Oz the 1Hz ute & troopie a is still very popular, but very few have a bj 13bt,

I've driven a few HZJ75/78 (unfortunately no SWB or MWB) for a couple of miles and think the 1HZ is not the holy grail of engines.
The well maintained 3B (or the 3BII in my 70) is a good choice for the SWB.

Wayne, I have no doubt that you are correct in your assessment however to say "the 70's legacy for reliability and capability is principally based on the 1HZ" is somewhat of a stretch. I believe the 3B, 13B-T, and 2H played a large role in determining the image of the 70 Series that Toyota enjoys today.
buddy, i didn't say that, that would be DP.
we all know the B series made history, of course the HZ has carried on the reputation quite well!!
me, i just bought an old BJ42 so even with my dislike for parts issues of the B series, i still have a soft spot for them ...

buddy, i didn't say that, that would be DP.

-------------------------------------------------------------
I know .......
My English teacher daughter would be ashamed of me for not structuring my response properly. :)

..in the end it is a no brainer, unless of course you have little patience.

...Or cost is any concern. But probably not because BJ's command whopping prices too. So, there's you answer: Wait.

I've had the 12ht, great motor. But I have a 1HZ now and even though the mileage isn't as good as what I got in my 12HT, it's a much better engine in almost every way.

Appreciate all the info! I'm gonna try to have a little patience and hold off until next year. Who knows, something my scream my direction by then. I'm just glad we can even put our hands on these vehicles finally!
Anyone know of any good diesel mechanics in Indiana?

i did say the 70's legacy, not the land cruiser's, but maybe i should have said reputation instead of legacy... in the modern era almost 25 years of production (and counting) with practically no modification is rare and probably for good reason. the earlier toyota diesels had incredible reputations in their day, but those reputations are now largely overshadowed by the 1HZ in the markets where it was released.

25 years is a long time to wait but eh, you're now only a few months away from getting a vehicle with a motor still in production... practically a brand new car for you guys! ;)

Last edited:
i did say the 70's legacy, not the land cruiser's, but maybe i should have said reputation instead of legacy... in the modern era almost 25 years of production (and counting) with practically no modification is rare and probably for good reason. the earlier toyota diesels had incredible reputations in their day, but those reputations are now largely overshadowed by the 1HZ in the markets where it was released.

25 years is a long time to wait but eh, you're now only a few months away from getting a vehicle with a motor still in production... practically a brand new car for you guys! ;)

Yup, it's like waiting for Christmas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom