Icon shocks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any update or time tested experience that can be shared on the ICON remote reservoir shocks, reservoir mounting location preference and recommendations, best UCAs to pair with, issues with bottoming out on UCA frame, etc....?

Last edited:
Any update or time tested experience that can be shared on the ICON remote reservoir shocks, reservoir mounting location preference and recommendations, best UCAs to pair with, issues with bottoming out on UCA frame, etc....?

Designed to work specifically with our uca's giving most possible travel. Numerous kits in use worldwide. Reservoir works great in the position shown in the photo. http://www.justdifferentials.com/mobile/Product.aspx?id=45978

Mine have been on for just about 6 months/5K miles and have done well overall across a range of driving conditions.

Top benefits: higher speed feel/control on pavement and dirt, more flexibility, less harsh on slow speed hits to the front wheels
Drawbacks: Location of front reservoirs, need to protect rear shock shafts from rocks/gravel

More details:

As posted above, I'm using the Icons in the front with SPC UCAs and have the reservoirs mounted horizontally in front of the front wheels. I have OME torsion bars. On the rear, the reservoirs are on the cross member in front of the axle. I'm running OME 864 springs and extended ASB links. Other than the torsion bars, I installed all that stuff around the same time, so it is hard to isolate exactly what changes came from the shocks themselves and what from the overall combination.

This setup does especially well under heavy load which is how the truck spends most of the time. On the road, it is very stable and smooth. I don't remember OEM exactly, but if feels more like that or even like a solid car than a heavy, fully loaded SUV. I can easily and comfortably do 85 MPH or more which wasn't the case before. On the trail, the same is true. High-ish speed trails disappear and even significant washboard is a lot more comfortable (less rattling, less jarring) and can be done at much higher speeds than before. Even at slow speeds, hitting unexpected bumps, especially with the front with the OME shocks would be a bit "harsh". The Icons take the edge off those very well...even my wife noticed. Feels a lot more controlled and balanced.

The extra droop/added flex of the UCAs and front shocks seems to keep the wheels on the ground more often than before. This has kept me moving forward without having to tap the CDL or rely as much on ATRAC. The same seems to apply to the rear. Overall, in more extreme flexing situations, the truck feels more, well, flexible. Obviously I'm not doing scientific testing, so this may be the fact that I spent so much may be influencing what I think I'm feeling.

The location of the front reservoirs is a drawback. I'm not running spacers (as some suggested I should) and perhaps as a consequence, the wheels can rub the reservoir when turned all the way. I've snapped the hose clamps that holds the reservoir (the ones closer to the wheel) on both sides as a result. I now carry extras. So far no harm to the reservoirs, hose, etc. Another inch or two of hose and you could probably get the reservoirs out of harm's way.

Another thing to note is that you'll for sure want to protect the rear shock shafts from whatever flies off your front wheels. My OMEs were pretty much sand blasted completely clean of paint. I clamped on some pieces of thick rubber that act as a sort of reverse mud flap. Problem solved, but not so elegantly.

Granted, I haven't had to have them serviced yet, so my opinion may change, but overall, the Icons have worked well and I'd recommend them.

Thanks @perrobravo. I appreciate the feedback. Curious where you would mount the reservoirs if you had 2 to 3 additional inches of hose? Would you recommend the additional length in both front and rear, or just the front? I've ordered a set of remote reservoir ICONs with the CDC valve. I recall reading some posts where others commented on the tires rubbing the reservoirs. Wondering if the solution is as easy as additional hose length to locate the reservoirs further away?

Thanks @perrobravo. I appreciate the feedback. Curious where you would mount the reservoirs if you had 2 to 3 additional inches of hose? Would you recommend the additional length in both front and rear, or just the front? I've ordered a set of remote reservoir ICONs with the CDC valve. I recall reading some posts where others commented on the tires rubbing the reservoirs. Wondering if the solution is as easy as additional hose length to locate the reservoirs further away?

The rears seem fine. No need for extra hose IMO. In the front, I'd move the reservoirs a bit more forward if I had a couple more inches of hose. Perhaps there are tradeoffs I'm unaware of with longer hoses, but a bit longer would allow more mounting options that would get them out of the way of the tires for sure.

This pic (drivers side) shows where mine are mounted. Another inch would help. A bit more and you could lower the mounting bracket and tilt the front downward...and help get the rear of the reservoir out of the way. Or, you could go all the way up behind the front bumper with even more hose. I'll live with this setup for now, but when the time comes to service them, I'll see about getting longer hoses.

9driverframe.jpg

Ask for Brad @ icon as I'm certain he will be in the know. I can't contribute any value for 100 application (sorry) but will certainly add to the pile of positive feedback as a customer of theirs.

I had a chance to visit their hq a couple of weeks ago and shake some hands. Made me and my lc feel welcomed.

Enjoy the resi shocks. I had the piggybacks and the resis definitely dampen better for some reason.

Albeit my Fox remotes appear to be smaller diameter tubes...but I still had tire interference with them mounted horizontally as you do on the front frame area. I relocated them to a simple bracket made from 1-1/2" steel angle...locating them vertically just ahead of the front UCA mount "tower"; completely out of harms way (angle is tack welded...remotes are screw clamped to the angle). Yeah...not as sexy as having them lay out there horizontally...but no interference either ;).

Albeit my Fox remotes appear to be smaller diameter tubes...but I still had tire interference with them mounted horizontally as you do on the front frame area. I relocated them to a simple bracket made from 1-1/2" steel angle...locating them vertically just ahead of the front UCA mount "tower"; completely out of harms way (angle is tack welded...remotes are screw clamped to the angle). Yeah...not as sexy as having them lay out there horizontally...but no interference either ;).

You mean like this? Didn't work at all for me. "Rubbing" was an understatement which is strange since that is where the Icon instructions suggested to mount the reservoirs.

8driverdone.jpg

Similar...mine sit higher and closer to the frame. But, again, my Fox cans are 2.0" diameter and may account for some/all the difference.

Thanks. That's what I have as well. May give Brad a call tomorrow to get his thoughts on mounting. I don't get off road much, but the few times I do I know I've turned the wheels as far as they would go (tight turns on switchbacks). I'd like to get the mounting right from the beginning.

Nice Bloomer! Good to see the HIH winnings displayed on Mud. Thanks to Icon too for stepping up big for the participants. Can't wait to see them on the 100.

Thanks. That's what I have as well. May give Brad a call tomorrow to get his thoughts on mounting. I don't get off road much, but the few times I do I know I've turned the wheels as far as they would go (tight turns on switchbacks). I'd like to get the mounting right from the beginning.
Did you happen to ask for extended hoses? Where did you wind up mounting the resi's? Any rubbing?

@3D FJ unfortunately, I've not installed yet. Still sitting in the boxes on the floor in my garage. Have installed SPC UCA and just haven't had the time to install the shocks or find someone I'm comfortable with to do it for me.

Can't remember if I spoke with ICON or PMd. But did reach out to discuss and got feedback that they will fit properly in the location recommended. I realize there is some feedback here where others have experienced otherwise. Not sure if the difference is in the UCAs used in combination with the shocks. The ICONs, as I understand, are built around the JD UCAs, and I've seen various combinations of UCAs coupled with the ICONs here.

I went with the stage 3 shocks so it's important for me to mount where I can easily adjust. When I finally get around to installing, I'll post up here on where I position them. Leaning towards the recommended locations, to see how it goes, but haven't decided for sure, yet.

You mean like this? Didn't work at all for me. "Rubbing" was an understatement which is strange since that is where the Icon instructions suggested to mount the reservoirs.

8driverdone.jpg

When i had Radflo's, i had my reservoirs mounted like this, but... I bent my bracket inward and by doing that, i was able to eliminate all rubbing.

If you look at the lower shock mount, you have the bolt, mount, spacer, shock... I can't see past that, but what do you have before the mount and then the nut? Another thinner spacer maybe?

When i had Radflo's, i had my reservoirs mounted like this, but... I bent my bracket inward and by doing that, i was able to eliminate all rubbing.

If you look at the lower shock mount, you have the bolt, mount, spacer, shock... I can't see past that, but what do you have before the mount and then the nut? Another thinner spacer maybe?

I didn't have luck bending the bracket when I tried to mount in this vertical position. So, I gave up and mounted horizontally along the frame. Most of the time, I don't have a problem, but I'm also now much more careful at full lock.

The lower shock mount is not symmetrical. Here are a couple pictures showing the offset collar/spacer provided by Icon.

Right out of the box, you can see the green tie wrap holding the collar/spacer together.

lowermount2.jpg

And here, mounted on the passenger side, you can see the direction I chose to mount the shock.

lowermount.jpg

Frankly, I guessed as to which way to mount it and haven't really had any consequences I know of. If there's a right answer, I'll gladly take it though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom