Something broke off.What is it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
IMG_20140822_144654.jpg
When i checked underneath my car something broke OFF . FYI this is RJ77

What is this thing?And what does it do?

Does this thing needs urgent repair/attention?

Another view :
IMG_20140822_144723.jpg

IMG_20140822_144809.jpg

Last edited:
LOL How is the steering response? You are taking the mickey out of us aren't you?
Just in case you are not, yes it definitely needs fixing ASAP.

Nono.. Im seriously new to this.
Well so far I still can control smoothly..But sometimes I do feel the heaviness to turn. Let's say if this thing are not fixed immediately.. Any other related parts might get broken too?

Ok Mate, This could cause you to have a very serious accident, imagine crossing to the incorrect side of the highway at speed or inadvertently running over some person because of steering failure. It needs urgent attention for sure. In Australia Transport Dept or Police would defect your vehicle and you would need to take it home on a tow truck.

Ok since I can't use the car at all.. Is fixing this thing is easy? Because mechanic doesn't seems near here.. What do you guys suggests?

Thanks guys

You must be steering with one wheel not both, should only be the 2 tie rod ends to undo one on each end of the broken bits and may need to use a hammer to crack the rod ends as the have a taper and are designed to lock in, and re fit new bit. I wouldn't drive it until its fixed. Tempoary fix if parts not available is to used a bit of tube to put over the broken bit and weld it up, as I said tempoary fix.

It looks like the steering dampener.... but the photo's are not that clear... you need to confirm both wheels turn when you turn the steering wheel...When stationary and engine running (helps to have the power steering working) That will rule out a steering rod....

You must be steering with one wheel not both, should only be the 2 tie rod ends to undo one on each end of the broken bits and may need to use a hammer to crack the rod ends as the have a taper and are designed to lock in, and re fit new bit. I wouldn't drive it until its fixed. Tempoary fix if parts not available is to used a bit of tube to put over the broken bit and weld it up, as I said tempoary fix.

I will check up again.. Thank you

It looks like the steering dampener.... but the photo's are not that clear... you need to confirm both wheels turn when you turn the steering wheel...When stationary and engine running (helps to have the power steering working) That will rule out a steering rod....

Yes both wheels do turn during stationary. but sometimes I feel the heaviness to turn. When I checked the connection.. It seems that this thing is attached to the middle rounded part(axle? Transmission?)
But then if it's steering dampener.. How the heck it can broke off since I only use this car as a DD?

Thanks guys

It is the steering dampener then. Like a shock absorber... they do fail....Get it replaced soon. As you will get shimmy in the steering wheel... And it isnt the best of feelings at speed....In the mean time Remove it so it doesn't jam up your steering !!!

It is the steering dampener then. Like a shock absorber... they do fail....Get it replaced soon. As you will get shimmy in the steering wheel... And it isnt the best of feelings at speed....In the mean time Remove it so it doesn't jam up your steering !!!

Haha okay then.. Since this thing already broken.. What model do you suggest? I'm currently looking at OME SD24 or Toyota oem stabiliser is enough?

Thanks

Mate take some better pictures of the parts. Has it completely screwed out or is the end broken off? We can't tell much from those pictures you have posted. I am not sure what truck you have but the other end should go to the steering box or a steering idler.
If that part was broken on my HJ75 I would have no steering at all [however I could be misinterpreting the part from the pictures. Most Toyota systems on 4WD have the bar with a tie rod at each end connecting the wheels and the secondary steering rod coming of this shaft goes to the steering box on the chassie or to a steering idler [when mostly power steering is not used. I will scan a 75 series as it may help you get a better understanding. cheers

This will not be the same as your set up however you should get the idea of what part does performs each function and how the wheels are coupled together with an intermediate rod and tie rods. And are then are moved by the steering box [or idler] rotating a pitman arm or similar and the other end of the relay rod which is connected to the longest tie rod with a hole section where the relay rod connects to the tie rod and at the other end to the pitman arm.
The steering damper usually connects to the relay rod and a point on the chassie. The dampers function is only to reduce shock in the steering and this reduces kick back in the steering wheel LOL ask blokes who have had a death grip on a hj/fj45 on rough rocky trails= dislocated thumb LOL.
We really need clearer pictures from a better position to give accurate advise.
The tie rods have a tapered threaded end and they ccrew in to the shaft and are clamped. I cannot see the threaded part clearly to see if it has snapped off or has unscrewed. Also I cannot see where the clamp is on the other end hanging down. Picture what the longer part hanging down is connected to.

OE steering dampers are tiny compared to the aftermarket ones you will get and they do break, that looks like OE so would be over 20 years old. We don;t see many coily 70's here, there is more getting around though. I think I have worked on one when I was on the tools. The heaviness is a concern, usually without a steering damper would be fairly easy to turn. Could be the broken bit fouling on something. ONCe you remove or get the new one let us know how it feels then.

By the way you describe it going from the rod to the round bit of the axle (diff) This is what you have broken...
This is from a KZJ78 but its the same as yours...
The red bit is an aftermarket steering dampener (EFS) which is for an 80 series (from memory).... but it fits ok.
10523904_504748599660263_7455103016354655408_n.jpg

This will not be the same as your set up however you should get the idea of what part does performs each function and how the wheels are coupled together with an intermediate rod and tie rods. And are then are moved by the steering box [or idler] rotating a pitman arm or similar and the other end of the relay rod which is connected to the longest tie rod with a hole section where the relay rod connects to the tie rod and at the other end to the pitman arm

Wow.. Thank you for such detail explanation

OE steering dampers are tiny compared to the aftermarket ones you will get and they do break, that looks like OE so would be over 20 years old. We don;t see many coily 70's here, there is more getting around though. I think I have worked on one when I was on the tools. The heaviness is a concern, usually without a steering damper would be fairly easy to turn. Could be the broken bit fouling on something. ONCe you remove or get the new one let us know how it feels then.

Ok sure will update when I get a new one..
By the way you describe it going from the rod to the round bit of the axle (diff) This is what you have broken...
This is from a KZJ78 but its the same as yours...
The red bit is an aftermarket steering dampener (EFS) which is for an 80 series (from memory).... but it fits ok.
10523904_504748599660263_7455103016354655408_n.jpg

Yes.. This exactly the picture.. I was just about to update my progress with new pics.. Its the red one that is broken. But mine doesn't really looks that nice.. So.. It is confirmed that this is steering damper? I wonder how old is my damper..

Thank you guys for such a great response and help.. Its time for me to get a new steering damper.. Haha

Steering damper is an easy fix.
Your set up is ass about to mine, damper is in front. cool

Haha..actually this car is totally stock.I get it from my father since he didnt use it.
So basically the past of this car is unknown o_O

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom