Transmission drop. A couple questions... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
About to remove the trans and tcase from my 83. I don't have a proper transmission jack on hand. Is there a way to get this beast down without one? I think strapping it to my floor jack might be a bit precarious. Could I string a few load straps under it and wiggle it out and slowly lower it down that way?

And second, should I support the end of the engine somehow after the trans is off? Will it stress the motor mounts?

Here's a thread from not too long ago about different options for transmission jacks:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/transmission-jack-recommendations.790621/

It was moved to the 'Tools and Fabrication' section of the 'General Tech' forum. Go to 'Tools and Fabrication' and do a search for 'transmission jack' and you will see additional thread results/recommendations.

I would recommend supporting the engine while the tranny is out. I did not support the engine with the tranny out (I was using a vehicle lift at the time) and got away with it...but the next time I pull the tranny, I'll support the engine. There should be enough room to fit a stand of some sort back on the bell housing...I wouldn't support directly under the oil pan.

block of wood on a jack stand below the oil pan...atv jack, modified floor jack, or even a couple of dudes named jack should work...another way is to roll the windows down and pad the top of the door and run a piece of heavy material across the top of the front doors(doors closed) and use a few tie down straps to slowly lower it out. I can't recommend just a strap to a floor jack, pucker factor was too tall

I've done it strapped to a floor jack, but the saddle was about 6" diameter. Helps greatly if you've got extra hands on board to steady it when dropping and it went ok, no crushed fingers. But for the next one I did I bought a transmissions jack... Just sayin'.

There should be enough room to fit a stand of some sort back on the bell housing...I wouldn't support directly under the oil pan.

Actually no problem supporting the engine under the oil pan, I've done this several times with no damage. What I use is the stock jack and a section of 2x6 under the pan. Having an adjustable jack under the engine later helps with adjusting the angle of the engine when installing the transmission.

I've used a floor jack to get it out and while not ideal at all, I did get it out without dropping it. Had a friend helping. However, putting it back in was a different issue. I tried and after almost hurting myself and / or the transmission, I rented a tranny jack for the day. The difference was night and day. I think it's worth the money myself.

Actually no problem supporting the engine under the oil pan, I've done this several times with no damage. What I use is the stock jack and a section of 2x6 under the pan. Having an adjustable jack under the engine later helps with adjusting the angle of the engine when installing the transmission.

Right, I stand corrected. Dejavu, I think this came up in that earlier thread, and you correctly pointed out that since most of the weight of the engine is being supported by the motor mounts, using a jack of some sorts with a block of wood between the jack and bottom of the oil pan won't harm the oil pan...and you have experimental data to back it up.
And using an adjustable jack would allow you to finely adjust the position of the engine relative to the transmission during re-installation, which makes things much easier.

The problem isnt dropping it. Its getting it BACK into place. You need to come up with a game plan so that you can adjust the transmissions cant both side to side, and forward and back. I dropped my transmission with one other guy and a floor jack. It only took 30 minutes or so.

I took 3 hours to get it back in (T-case atatched to it). By the end of the day, we had 3 floor jacks in place, and 4 full grown men (shop tec's at the shop I work at) trying to wrangle it back in. Its tough when your working on the ground. Make sure you go in with your guns loaded. Its frustrating. Good luck!!!

Well good new everyone! My friend and I got the trans out in about an hour, but I wasn't ready with a support fast enough and one of the engine mounts busted. :bang: They are probably ancient anyway and should be replaced. Currently using a large piece of plywood under the oil pan

When you put it back in. Use a couple of bolts in the bottom of the bell housing that are about an inch and a half longer than the mounting bolts, cut the head off and cut a slot into them to use a large screwdriver to remove. Use these as aligning pins to slip the tranny into place, just watch the up and down(parallel) of the mating surfaces.

Well good new everyone! My friend and I got the trans out in about an hour, but I wasn't ready with a support fast enough and one of the engine mounts busted. :bang: They are probably ancient anyway and should be replaced. Currently using a large piece of plywood under the oil pan

So what caught the engine when it dropped?

Are you going to replace the motor mount(s) before or after reinstalling the tranny?

So what caught the engine when it dropped?

Are you going to replace the motor mount(s) before or after reinstalling the tranny?

We let it down really slowly. It kinda just stopped moving. I don't know what was holding it. It is currently resting on a large metal pipe. Trans is currently off at Mudraks. I going to rebuild the carb while I'm at it. I think I want to replace the mounts after I get the trans back in. Is it easier to do it before? I don't have an engine hoist

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom