1987 hj75 ute with 12ht (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

chappohj47

Chappo Built
Threads
Hi guys just bought my new ute she's a bit rougher then I thought it was. so it will need a bit more work then I thought but that's what you get if you buy a vehicle from a different state.

So to start I will give it a good clean inside and out

Drain the fuel tank because it had the cap missing so there will be water in it

Do the swivel hubs and wheel bearings and seals front and back axle

Whatever else needs doing and get it roadworthy and get a job. I have a very limited budget as I have been out of work for some time and I bought this ute to replace my 80 series that was stolen and my insurance did not cover it properly so my budget will be tight for a while

Here are some pics
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I started cleaning the new ute today pulled the seats out and the vinyl floor so much dirt in it and just surface rust in the floor pan I may need a new windshield frame as mine has a rust hole in the passenger side inside the cab about 3" long might pass roadworthy I don't know

There is so much wiring in the ute that's not connected to anything it's all po stuff
image.jpg
image.jpg

doesn't look too bad other than a bit of a clean up and some maintenance, good luck with it mate hope it turns out a good buy in the end :)

I have been working on the ute for a couple of days stripped the interior and degreased it and put some armoral on the dash looks good now drained the fuel today didn't know there was 60LT of diesel in it but got it running again it is so nice
image.jpg

This morning I got the pressure washer hooked up the degreaser mixed in warm water and went to move my 75 series on to the end I the drive way and no go bloody electrical gremlins again all I did on Sunday morning was take the battery out of it to jump start my uncles ute and put the battery back and must of bump some crapy wiring so the auto electrian is coming in the next few days to fix all the po crap. And last night we got woken up by people in our drive way and them they ran off down the road an did burnouts in stead so because of that I am very cautious of things being stolen now so I am honing to push my ute out the backyard gate so it's safe but todo that I had to put the roof on my hj47 so I did that and used a heap of silastic to make it water proof until I put it back in storage
image.jpg

I started on the swivel hubs and wheel bearings today I got the drivers side completely apart the nuts for the bearings look like they we're put on with a cold chisel they diff oil was dark green and I will have to get a tie rod kit for it as I buggered the one I un did but they all need doing couldn't get my big socket onto those nut because of the damage
image.jpg
image.jpg

The hamfisted love practising their dark art on those nuts alright. Here's are some fine examples from their leaders:

WheelMashedNuts.jpg
WheelMashedNuts3.jpg
WheelMashedNuts2.jpg

:beer:

I have a question for a fuel line expert on the 12ht 60
Series there is a fuel return Lin going back to the tank on my ute the fuel return line has been "t" pieced into the supply line before the water fuel seperator is this alright or does it have to go back to the tank would it build up back pressure

I finished my front swivel hubs and wheel bearings today one I he lock nuts was actually cut right through with a cold chiesel that's safe. auto electrician is coming tomorrow so hopefully the gremlins get fixed

The auto electrician just left and every thing now works that didn't work before only problem now is I think there is air in the fuel system because we started the engine but it ran very ruff so we shut it off and I undid the fuel nizzle on the filter to bleed it and bubbles came out but could try the engine again as the battery went dead from testing everything all day but happy overall

I mounted my battery isolator today and got a bracket for my battery setup I have ordered a new exhaust clamp as the other one broke
image.jpg
image.jpg

I have a question for a fuel line expert on the 12ht 60
Series there is a fuel return Lin going back to the tank on my ute the fuel return line has been "t" pieced into the supply line before the water fuel seperator is this alright or does it have to go back to the tank would it build up back pressure

No way am I an expert, so take this with a pinch of salt, but I understood that it was better to put it back into the tank Because the lift pump on a diesel delivers much more fuel than is needed to the injector pump and the excess is returned, the constant recirculation of the fuel from return straight back to the pump can cause it to heat up and not lubricate the injector pump properly. If it is put into the tank again, obviously, the injector pump always receives cool fuel. Probably only an issue at lower speeds IMHO, but nevertheless, if you have easy access at this time, I would put it back to the tank.

Thanks mate I will do it when I can there is a line hanging down off the tank with a plug in it so I might replace that line but after rego

Painted the interior floor in sound deadner today check my air cleaner and it is still good till I can get a new cartridge and am trying to fix a leaky windscreen washer bottle and windscreen so lots of clear silastic and we will find out
image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
It has been a few very busy days it is just about done just have to put the flares on and grease everything have done a huge list of things to the ute it's going to mechanics on Thursday and hopefully registered next week

Good luck on the blue slip mate if they ask tell them the engine was out of a 1988/89 Sahara wagon.

Yeah thanks mate will do

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom