Builds Project LXXIV - 1988 BJ74 Land Cruiser Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
cruiseroutfitters.com
Introducing Project LXXIV

project_74_1.jpg

Project LXXIV as she sat in port awaiting transport to the US earlier this year

project_74_2.jpg

Check out all that chrome :D

project_74_3.jpg

That will clean up nicely!

Basic Specs:
1988 Toyota Land Cruiser
Model: BJ74V-MNX LX Trim
Engine: 13BT 3.4L Turbo-Diesel
Trans/TC: H55F 5 Speed & Split-Case
Axles: 9.5"/4.11 R&P & Factory Cable Locking Diffs

Purpose/Scope: The purpose is straightforward, build a simple yet highly functional Land Cruiser while highlighting the JDM platforms. We have partnered with LandCruisersDirect.com to source these and other models and will be using this particular BJ74 throughout the year at various 4x4 events as a showcase of both their vehicle platforms and our product offerings. CruiserOutfitters.com is in the process of adding JDM specific parts to our growing inventory and we are now stocking parts ranging from tune up items specific to the diesel power plants to suspension and weatherstripping for these non-US rigs.

Phase 1 Build Plans:

Front Wincbar
24V Winch
Sliders
Suspension
Rear Bumper
+2 Tire Size

Future: I'll get a good feel for the vehicle as I enjoy a few days of remote travel as part of the Cruise Moab event next week. From there I'll formulate a list of follow-up needs and future mods that would benefit the vehicle and my needs for future travel plans.

With that all said, it's time to get started on this build... after all Cruise Moab is next week! Thankfully I'm able to put the call out to my pals in the Wasatch Cruiser club and we'll have some ringers here tomorrow to help rock this thing out in Death Star fashion. Pics to come!

Last edited:
Looks super clean and big score on the cable lockers!! Glad to hear your getting into the 70's market.

I am currently in Moab wheeling my BJ74 and my biggest complaints are:
1) Lack of gearing - the stock t-case is just to high for technical wheeling.
2) Suspension - simply not enough travel or flex in this setup.
3) Front shackle movement - The neoprene bushings allow way to much side to side movement.
4) Axle width - I really don't like how narrow the axles are for the height and weight of the vehicle.

I can't wait to see what you do with your build

Last edited:
Congrats on the purchase, No doubt you've picked up a 74 with all the good stuff, I look forward to seeing what you do with it:beer:, cheers

Nice find ! The roof racks a bonus. What are you going to do with the PTO,looks too cool to remove and its a great conversation piece?

Looks nice , cant wait to see what you do with it. and of course more products for the JDM in the usa is great news.

I am currently in Moab wheeling my BJ74 and my biggest complaints are:
1) Lack of gearing - the stock t-case is just to high for technical wheeling.
2) Suspension - simply not enough travel or flex in this setup.
3) Front shackle movement - The neoprene bushings allow way to much side to side movement.
4) Axle width - I really don't like how narrow the axles are for the height and weight of the vehicle...

All easily resolved with some upgrades you know :D

For example, this is my good pal Craig's BJ70. Low-range t-case gears, SOA with OME, tons of suspenstion travel. Poly bushings are tight and FJ60 axles for the width :cool:

PIC%20082%20(Small).jpg

(This rig is actually for sale as of current, Craig just finished his 1HZ into FZJ80 swap and needs a family hauler, more details here)

Nice find ! The roof racks a bonus. What are you going to do with the PTO,looks too cool to remove and its a great conversation piece?

Roof rack and PTO are gonzo, they will be saved for another project (we have 4 7x's here at the moment). The rack didn't make sense for this builds uses and the PTO winch was pulled in order to get a better approach out of the front bumper. We have a BJ70 here with the factory PTO and a custom front bumper that actually offers a fair amount of clearance but I had some other bumpers in mind. Fwiw my goal is to be able to offer customer a polarized viewpoint, I've got a 100% bone stock 88 BJ74 (auto) that I have had for several years, we affectionately call it "Righty".

Righty the stocker :D
righty_bj74.JPG

Nice work sir!:clap:

Thanks dude. I still get a laugh out of that time we stuffed 6 of us in Righty down town a few years back. It hasn't smelled the same since. :D

Looks nice , cant wait to see what you do with it. and of course more products for the JDM in the usa is great news.
Thanks!

Good thing you lost that rack. There was one like that on mine and it was hard on the gutters. It toasted the left front one pretty good.

See you in Moab.

20140312_095258[1].jpg

Moab Kodak moment. Let's put these two togther......

Our rear bumpers are on the water, they will not make it by CM.

Looks great so far!

Cheers from Logan!

Thanks!

View attachment 888773

Moab Kodak moment. Let's put these two togther......

Let's do it :cool:

I'll have both of my 74's down there too! Plan on hanging out Friday night after the raffle for our 'JDM Hangout'

cm_jdm.jpg

Our rear bumpers are on the water, they will not make it by CM.

I'm bummed the Kaymar wasn't going to make it in time but we installed the ExpeditionOne prototype rear bumper tonight along with the other goodies. My good friend at ExpOne contact us a few months ago about borrowing a 70 Series, we let them take one for a few weeks to mock up bumpers. I'll use the Kaymar and ARB front for the next build project we have lined up in a few months that is going to maintain a true Aussie Outback look :cool: The Kaymar is an absolutely a fantastic bumper and it has some neat features this prototype doesn't have but this bumper turned out really slick and I'm excited to have more options for the market.

IMG_3205 (Small).JPG

hey Kurt .. how many new bikes are going to land in your home coz of this 74 .. ? :)

Hahahaha, you know Candace all to well. I'm not going to bring this up to her anytime soon... She can't fit any more bikes in the garage and I can't fit anymore Land Cruisers in the shop :D

BJ74 conversion 012.JPG
Great looking little rig Kurt, wish I could attend this function and see all the JDM cooolness..

70 series are cool, got wind of some 70 year old doing a left hand conversion for his 75 year old friend....Helped the young fellows out a bit along the way..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom