55 tub trailer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Today I paired down the tub to floor / frame/axle/leafs/shocks.

I chose to leave the stock 55 gas tank in the event I want to bring 4 less jerries ( seems a bit easier to if I install a 12v pump).
My plan was to leave the floor and box in the lower level to make a toolbox/drawer area level with the rest of the higher bed area.
I've been reading about tongue weight and getting familiar with specs on various builds and it appears I may want to run this backwards?????? With the longer rear overhang/gas tank underneath facing forward with a somewhat 4 1/2 foot tongue length.......??? Or should I run this in its current chopped direction having a longer rear overhang?
IMG_20140415_184233.jpg
IMG_20140415_184715.jpg

Also- should I chop the fenderwells flat with the bed? I think I won't need that upper third for clearance but I'm guessing even removing leafs I'd still be hard pressed to flex the wheels into the wheel wells at all.

I have a picture of flattened wheel wells, then a set of bushwacker fender flares from an FJ40 on a solid side panel.
Would give you better cargo area. An idea anyhow.

I have a picture of flattened wheel wells, then a set of bushwacker fender flares from an FJ40 on a solid side panel.
Would give you better cargo area. An idea anyhow.

I can imagine it, and see it, is what I meant - being too literal, sorry.

I sorta have no clue what direction this is going. Basically this up to this point is free.......so I thought it might be a good freebie platform to make something out a nothing vs junking it.

My idea was simply to swap out the rear axle(heavy) for a lighter duty dedicated trailer axle/springs. And then to lop off as much overkill weight as possinle.........leaving the stock fuel tank in place for an easy 20gallon spare tank.

-possibly flatten fenders to give a nice 6 foot length and 58" stock floorpan width.

- definitely create a hinged top to box in the lower bed area for spares/tool space.
- maybe find some 40series rounded corners or just box in the sides.

But I'm wondering if I should just flip it around so that the fuel tank is on the tongue side vs hanging off the rear ( the longer bed area is currently rear of the axle in stock configuration). Or if I should just leave as-is and re-hang/mount a new trailer axle???

Turn it around, keep the tank. Use the rear frame as structure for a base for a sturdy tailgate. If you hinged the tailgate at the
bottom of the frame, it could be a sort of 'step' as well into the deck area,
I'd go for some kind of sides though.

Don't think you plan, but would be cool build a trailer leaving the Pigs arse end intact.
...via IH8MUD app

pigs arse and sides hood/fenders and two doors are finding their way onto an 80. FzjBacon bits !!!

...via IH8MUD app[/QUOTE]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom