2wd to 4x4 SAS 1986 Toyota Chinook camper build (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Toped off the engine fluids, break, PS, etc. Hooked up the battery and connected all the wires that I had unplugged and tried to start it........:censor:. It wont start.

It turns over fine and back fire / pops out the intake once in a while. Adjusted the distributor from one end to the other but could not get it to fire up.

Went back through it making sure it all electronics were plugged in, rotor was in the cap, plug wires hooked up correct etc. Only thing I can think of left is the fuel. Going to add some gas treatment to it and more fresh gas to it tomorrow. Might even drain the old gas out first but that is half a tank, roughly 6-7 gal. I find it hard to believe that it is the gas because the old parts LC starts right up on 4 year old gas.....but that is a LC for you. They will run on anything.

Any suggestions here on what I might be forgetting? Is there a neutral safety switch on these I my be forgeting.

Also the rear shift light sensor? on the top of the back of the trany is not connected yet because of different typs of plugs. I also found a electric plug about half way down the driver side of trany that I do not know what it is for.

Here is a picture of the gear shifters. Except for the grey boot instead of a brown one it looks stock.

Rear shocks arrived the other day and will get installed tomorrow and tranny fluid toped off. Then to the shop If I can't get it running again.
001.jpg
002.jpg

Last edited:
If it was the neutral safety switch it wouldn't turn over at all. I just went through this with my 22RE swap. When you turned the key it did nothing, no trying to start, no click, just silence. I jumped the pins in the connector for the neutral switch and it started up like a champ. I'm kinda leaning towards fuel too. I'd try the fresh gas and see where that gets you.

Get this running yet?
Chuckling to myself as you can cut, weld, build a 4x4 truck from scratch, but immediately take it to a shop when it wont start.
I bet you got it figured out right there in the driveway. Let us know...

Great build!

I would guess that you either never the plug wires on in the wrong order or you dropped the distributor way out of time. Get #1 @TDC and see if the rotor is pointing at #1. Good luck.

Well it has been a slow project the last couple years as I have been poking along at it but it is about to get up and running. I am about to pull it out of storage and start working on it again.

I acquired a nice warn bumper last fall and plan on mounting my Warn 8274 in it and put it all on the truck.

My next step is to rebuild the front end and re-gear it. I am undecided between 4:56 or 4:88 gears on it. I was planing on 31" tires and 4:38s because that is what is in the Tacoma rear end. I put the 33x9.5x15 BFG AT tires on the other day and looks sweet, and they fit no problem so now I am thinking 4:88's would be fine for either 33s or 31s. Any opinions?

Pictures or it didn't happen. Had to do it man. Really glad you are coming into the home stretch.

Hahah, I will throw up some pics of the tires and bumper soon when I get it back in the driveway later this week.

I sold my FJ60 the other day so that will free up some time and money to get this one finished.

Here it is on the 33's, and the bumper that will be going on. Starting the front axle rebuild this week!

10245538_593587244082701_5416842486494212231_n (1).jpg

1001975_593587277416031_6334235374405624799_n.jpg

Yes it is a pop up camper.

Started the front axle rebuild and re-gear today.

Been working on the camper a bit. Kind of slow but it is getting there. I replaced the slightly dented and rusting hood and replaced the fenders with some really nice ones that look like new. I wish the rest of the truck body was in as good condition. The old blinkers were taped and calked on.

I pulled the front axle out to rebuild and re gear. Big pile of parts like new break pads, rotors, axle rebuild kit, bearings, etc, 4:88 gears going in soon.

I can't decide if I want to put in the gov lock in the front axle, leave it open or fork out more $ for a Aburn LSD or Detroit True Track LSD. I plan on putting a Detroit True Track LSD in the rear 2000 Tacoma axle when I re-gear it to match the front. (currently 4:56)

Most people don't seem to like the gov lock but they are using it for heavy duty 4x4 where I will be using it on the road, winter ice road conditions, beaches, and the occasional muddy trail, nothing too hard core here.....I just don't want to get stuck if I can help it.

More opinions on the gov lock would be appreciated.

10309645_609263182515107_4956112580225570954_n.jpg

10375481_609263202515105_7660683501853433641_n.jpg

10446467_609263155848443_4647324817250175860_n.jpg

IMG_6746.JPG

2x4 to 4x4 SAS 1984 Toyota Chinook camper build

Well I am not sure if it is a Chinook as I have only seen one other camper like mine but in the 1970's similar versions they were called Chinook campers but it is close so that is what I will call it. As far as I know this one is pretty rare.

I have been driving it around with no third gear for about 2 years now and it is not ideal. I plan on towing some small trailers, boats, rafts with it this summer so I will need that third gear for big hills.

I picked up some parts this winter for the swap. I got a great deal on a used 5 speed with transfer case, complete rear axle from a 1989-1995 pickup with 4.10 gears, and I also have a landcruiser FJ-60 front axle and springs to put under the front.

I am not going to use the old axle as it is a 5 lug rims (I really hate 5 lug rims, it is a toyota thing as I am sure you all know), and probably has 3.73 gears because of the smaller tires on it. It is also narrower and I look forward to getting this setup a little wider, especially when it gains a little lift. I think it is also sprung under at the moment, but I will have to double check. I am not sure if I will go spring over or under with the back, just depends on how the front ends up, and how much lift I need to level it all out.

I am not looking for a lot of lift just enough to make it a little more truck like, probably 235/75/15 tires, because I have a lot of those.

As far as I can tell my front LC axle and new rear pickup axle will be about the same width. I was also going to use the stock FJ60 springs sprung under and try to reuse the steering links from it too.

I think my FJ-60 springs are wider than my rear pickup springs and am guessing that the front pickup springs are the same width. I would like to re use my springs to save on cost. If this is the case I may have to make my own front hanger, modify one from a manufactuer like allpro or buy a Man-a-Free landcruiser shackel reversial kit and fab something out of that.

I am also wondering about the spring perch width on a solid axle pickup (how far apart are the springs center to center) I need to compare this to my FJ-60 axle for comparison. I am not sure but my axle may be a bit wide and I may have to move the spring hangers in.

I also need to put power steering on it and wondered what may fit. I may have a FJ-60 PS box to use if it will fit. Any suggestions here?

So I was wondering if anyone else has put a landcruiser axle under the front for a SAS swap? What parts did you use and how did it turn out?

Any comments or info here on my proposed project?

I am trying to get as much info ahead of time and get my parts together so I have them all ready when I start. I wan't as little down time as possible.

I will post up some pictures of mine but here is the 4x4 version that I am shooting for.
View attachment 501446
Hi mate! Lookin good! Not sure what I'm doing with mine , she's just been sitting . blown head gasket, the old 22 r needs a rebuild. I have considered selling the ole thing ? Or possibly trading it . who knows , lol . they are fun and a great conversation piece ! Keep us updated

Well I am not sure if it is a Chinook as I have only seen one other camper like mine but in the 1970's similar versions they were called Chinook campers but it is close so that is what I will call it. As far as I know this one is pretty rare.

I have been driving it around with no third gear for about 2 years now and it is not ideal. I plan on towing some small trailers, boats, rafts with it this summer so I will need that third gear for big hills.

I picked up some parts this winter for the swap. I got a great deal on a used 5 speed with transfer case, complete rear axle from a 1989-1995 pickup with 4.10 gears, and I also have a landcruiser FJ-60 front axle and springs to put under the front.

I am not going to use the old axle as it is a 5 lug rims (I really hate 5 lug rims, it is a toyota thing as I am sure you all know), and probably has 3.73 gears because of the smaller tires on it. It is also narrower and I look forward to getting this setup a little wider, especially when it gains a little lift. I think it is also sprung under at the moment, but I will have to double check. I am not sure if I will go spring over or under with the back, just depends on how the front ends up, and how much lift I need to level it all out.

I am not looking for a lot of lift just enough to make it a little more truck like, probably 235/75/15 tires, because I have a lot of those.

As far as I can tell my front LC axle and new rear pickup axle will be about the same width. I was also going to use the stock FJ60 springs sprung under and try to reuse the steering links from it too.

I think my FJ-60 springs are wider than my rear pickup springs and am guessing that the front pickup springs are the same width. I would like to re use my springs to save on cost. If this is the case I may have to make my own front hanger, modify one from a manufactuer like allpro or buy a Man-a-Free landcruiser shackel reversial kit and fab something out of that.

I am also wondering about the spring perch width on a solid axle pickup (how far apart are the springs center to center) I need to compare this to my FJ-60 axle for comparison. I am not sure but my axle may be a bit wide and I may have to move the spring hangers in.

I also need to put power steering on it and wondered what may fit. I may have a FJ-60 PS box to use if it will fit. Any suggestions here?

So I was wondering if anyone else has put a landcruiser axle under the front for a SAS swap? What parts did you use and how did it turn out?

I am trying to get as much info ahead of time and get my parts together so I have them all ready when I start. I wan't as little down time as possible.

I will post up some pictures of mine but here is the 4x4 version that I am shooting for.
View attachment 501446

He mate ! Looking good. Guess your the only other one I've seen also . lol I've been considering selling mine , she's been setting a bit , blown head gasket and needs a motor refreshing!

View attachment 501446

View attachment 501446

Mine has wheels on it now , 15x 10s and 32s . That's the first thing I did, hated those narrow steel wheels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom