2wd to 4x4 SAS 1986 Toyota Chinook camper build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2x4 to 4x4 SAS 1984 Toyota Chinook camper build

Well I am not sure if it is a Chinook as I have only seen one other camper like mine but in the 1970's similar versions they were called Chinook campers but it is close so that is what I will call it. As far as I know this one is pretty rare.

I have been driving it around with no third gear for about 2 years now and it is not ideal. I plan on towing some small trailers, boats, rafts with it this summer so I will need that third gear for big hills.

I picked up some parts this winter for the swap. I got a great deal on a used 5 speed with transfer case, complete rear axle from a 1989-1995 pickup with 4.10 gears, and I also have a landcruiser FJ-60 front axle and springs to put under the front.

I am not going to use the old axle as it is a 5 lug rims (I really hate 5 lug rims, it is a toyota thing as I am sure you all know), and probably has 3.73 gears because of the smaller tires on it. It is also narrower and I look forward to getting this setup a little wider, especially when it gains a little lift. I think it is also sprung under at the moment, but I will have to double check. I am not sure if I will go spring over or under with the back, just depends on how the front ends up, and how much lift I need to level it all out.

I am not looking for a lot of lift just enough to make it a little more truck like, probably 235/75/15 tires, because I have a lot of those.

As far as I can tell my front LC axle and new rear pickup axle will be about the same width. I was also going to use the stock FJ60 springs sprung under and try to reuse the steering links from it too.

I think my FJ-60 springs are wider than my rear pickup springs and am guessing that the front pickup springs are the same width. I would like to re use my springs to save on cost. If this is the case I may have to make my own front hanger, modify one from a manufactuer like allpro or buy a Man-a-Free landcruiser shackel reversial kit and fab something out of that.

I am also wondering about the spring perch width on a solid axle pickup (how far apart are the springs center to center) I need to compare this to my FJ-60 axle for comparison. I am not sure but my axle may be a bit wide and I may have to move the spring hangers in.

I also need to put power steering on it and wondered what may fit. I may have a FJ-60 PS box to use if it will fit. Any suggestions here?

So I was wondering if anyone else has put a landcruiser axle under the front for a SAS swap? What parts did you use and how did it turn out?

Any comments or info here on my proposed project?

I am trying to get as much info ahead of time and get my parts together so I have them all ready when I start. I wan't as little down time as possible.

I will post up some pictures of mine but here is the 4x4 version that I am shooting for.
toycamper.jpg

Last edited:
i am subscribed ... the idea is interesting.
<i have a butt load of land cruiser knowledge and if i can help just ask away.>

I am not sure but I think the truck above was built on a 4x4 chassis while mine was built on a 2x4 chassis. Pics of mine will be posted late tonight.

The reasons I want to use the L.C. axle is; I already have an extra with springs, they are stronger, they are wider, I have 4 lockers, and one Arburn LSD to chose from if I want to put one in the front.

Here are a couple of measurments I am looking for.

How wide is the spring perch center to center on a 80's pickup solid axle?
FJ-60 front axle?
How wide are stock front sold axle pickup springs?
FJ-60 front springs?
How long eye to eye are stock front springs for a solid axle pickp?
FJ-60 front axle?
How wide WMS to WMS is a front pickup solid axle?
FJ-60 front axle?

This is for comparison to see how the FJ-60 components compair to the pickup axle that people normally swap in.

This will help me figure out what parts to use and how much modification from a standard SAS will be needed.

it will be weird since you will have a 9.5" up front with a 8" out back. might be better to swap both the axles and a LJ78 t/case behind the tranny then you have heavy duty front and rear.

just thinking out loud.

1983 Pickup Spring Perch Center-to-Center ~29 1/4"
Perch is ~2 1/4" wide, not sure about the springs

Axle is disassembled or I could get you the wms-wms measurement.

I think this will be a nice build. Make sure you reinforce the front frame rails good since, I think, the 2wd frames are a little lighter on the front than the 4wd. Also, I think starting with the 2wd will allow you to keep it fairly low since I also think that they may have a little more arch to them then the 4wd. I know this is true on the later ifs trucks, not 100% on the earlier models.

Looking forward to checking in on this one.

Tucker

I would like to go with a rear FJ-60 axle too (I have an extra set)but the pumpkin is off set and the pickup drive train is centered so I will use my hilux rear (same width WMS as fj60 rear =57", hilux rear = 58") The front FJ60 axle WMS is 60" so this shoud be a good match, I can also throw on some spacers on the rear if I want it at 60".

The pickup rear should be 4.10 gears and I have a set of 4.10 from a FJ-40 to put in the front so it all matches up there.

Trying to keep the cost down and use what I have because I am poor, and trying to mess around fixing and modifying my fleet of cars.

Crusher: I don't know what a LJ78 T cas is off of? Is it centered? and will it bolt up to a W56 tranny?

I am pretty sure i have a W56 5 speed with gear transfer case although I will post some pics of that soon for positive ID help.

Jynx: Thanks for the specs, I will go out tomarrow and dig out some of my parts and get some more measurments to see how things will line up.

Here is a picture of mine slowly melting out of deep freeze.
017.jpg

the LJ t/case is off set for Cruiser diffs and is bolted to the R series tranny. i beleive the R series was used as well in the mini trucks. if so this would make an easy swap into your build.
i am not sure the advantage of the larger diff out front with a smaller diff in the rear since the majority of the work load is the rear diffs responsibility.
it was just a suggestion.

i do think this will make a cool ass build when finished.
cheers and good luck

Crushers:
What models and years did that t-case come out of? Is it stick or vacume opperated?

I will look into that tranny and t-case set up but will probably stick with what I have because of budget. Of course If I can find those parts for reasonable price it may be worth it and sell off the others. If I could put the FJ-60 axle in the back I could do a Aburn LSD in the rear and a gov-lock in the front and only have to buy one set of 4.10 gears or visa-versa. Of cours that is total overkill for this kind of build but would be cool.

Mainly the reason for the conversion is because I found a used tranny/t-case and it was way less than if I just rebuilt the 2wd tranny I already have. So I thought I might as well switch it over to a 4x4. Even if I don't get to the front axle set up this year for some reason I will have the option of 2wd-low. Better for manauvering around the camp site areas. I also would like a little wider and taller stance and to get rid of the 5 lug rims so the rear pickup axle will work for this. I know it is not as strong as the LC axle but it was only $50.

I got the tranny/t-case, rear axle, rear springs, and two drivelines for $250. If I get luckey one of my many drivelines laying around will bolt up without haveing to shorten anyting. Fingers crossed on that one.

This thing may never get wheeled so I am not too concerned with super strenght, stock should be enough, although the weight of the back end does concern me a bit, but if that weenie 2wd axle has held for 25 years a 90's 4wd unit shoud be good.

The 4x4 may come in handy in the snow, if I take it to a sandy beach or muddy back roads etc., then I will not have to worry as much about getting it stuck.

Again main reason for FJ-60 axle up front is width, and I already have and extra with lockers, gears, to match up with the 4wd rear PU axle which is also wider.

If it goes up taller which it will I definatly want it to go out wider a bit too. I need to see If this thing has sway bars too, if not I need to add some.

R series transmissions came behind the Turbo 4cyl and v6s from 87 - 95. I think they came in some of the newer pickups as well, but I am not sure.

Finding a 78 series transfercase isn't going to be as easy (read: cheap) as using the stuff you already have. There is no need for a heavier front axle if you're going to run 235/75-15s. How about just a regular mini truck front end with IFS hubs? You won't have too much pressure on the bearings running that small of tire, you can run deeper wheels, and it'll match the 60 front axle with less weight and the perches will already be set up....

I'd be a bit worried about a regular pickup axle being able to carry the weight. At the minimum don't use different wheel back spacings or wheel spacers. Both would exasperate the shaft flexing issues. Basically the standard mini truck rear axle is a "1 ton axle", but don't ever overload it. It will handle a bit over 1 ton including the truck it's self. Breakage of the shafts is the probable result of overloading. When that happens the wheel can totally fall off. Because it only has one bearing out at the hub, it loses maximum load capacity when the wheel spacers or shallower wheel backspacing are used.

For a true 1 ton axle with some overload ability:
http://www.toyotamotorhomes.com/files/Axle_FAQ.pdf
Problem is that axle is designed for duals.

The R tranny may be acessable but the 70-series landcruiser is a Canada thing. They will be much harder to find and more money as they were never inported into the U.S.

Finding parts and shipping is a problem in Alaska, we just do not have the quantity of parts to begin with and shipping anything up here auto parts related is spendy as hell. You would think we were an island the way shipping companies treat us. I think x3 the price as in the states.

I thought those were 4x4 fenders on it. They are a bit beat up and I may try to find a parts truck to swap out the front clip eventually. One blinkers is taped on, cracked gril, crappy bumper, dented hood etc. I have no idea if they are original or not. The camper was originally white but someone painted it metal flake rootbeer brown.......hense the name turdy. Brown interior too.

I originally wanted a full floater for it but again hard to find and spendy.

Thanks for the info on the spacers, that is good to know. I probably won't need any or use any on the back because the 90's hilux PU axle is the same width as the FJ-60 rear so it should be the same as driving a stock landcruiser as far as width and track go. I want to keep all tires and rims the same so I only have to carry one spar.

I could and still may go with the solid pickup axle up front if it looks like too many alignment/fitment problems show up or it will be too big of a P.I.T.A. The front pickup axle is a bit narrower and most people will use 1"-1.5" spacers up front to match the newer wider rear (when doing the swap on a 3rd gen 90's pickup).

Why would I need the IFS hubs?

I think I am going to go with a 4x4 power steering box and set up from a 90's hilux. This will be a nice addition too because it has no power steering right now. Go figure.....EFI in a 1984 with 5 speed but no power steering. Hopefully I can find a whole complete system off a parts truck.

I will have to take it somewhere and weigh it some day.

Last edited:
there is an adapter that goes between the R151/R141 tranny and the land cruiser t/case, can this adapter not be used with the R150 that came in some of the minitrucks?

I found a little info on axle widths tonight. Stuff in red is what I plan on using, stuff in yellow is what is on it now.

Toy Trucks Axle widths:

Mini axles: 8" (10 bolt ring gear/ 30 spline)
55" WMS

IFS Rear Axles: 8"( 10 Bolt ring gear/30 spline)
58" WMS

95.5-04 Tacoma: TRD 8" (10 Bolt ring gear/30 spline) Non TRD 8" (12 bolt ring gear/30 spline)
60" WMS

T100: 8" (12 bolt ring gear/ 30 spline)
63" WMS

05-08 Tacoma: TRD 8" (10 Bolt ring gear/30 spline) Non TRD 8" (12 bolt ring gear/30 spline)
64" WMS

99-04 Tundra: 8" (12 bolt ring gear/ 30 spline)
66" WMS

05-08 Tundra: (4.0/4.7 - 9.5" Ring) (5.7L - 10.5" Ring)
68" WMS

and

IFS rear = 58
Taco rear =60

Mini : 55.5 front/55 rea
Tundra is 66"
T100 is 63"
80s are 63.5" front/63" Rear

FJ40 axles are 57" front, 55/56" rear.

FJ60 are 58.5"front/ 57rear.

FJ80s are 63 (front and rear I believe)

Looks like a 90's tacoma is also 60", I might see what a used tacoma rear goes for too.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info on the spacers, that is good to know. I probably won't need any or use any on the back because the 90's hilux PU axle is the same width as the FJ-60 rear so it should be the same as driving a stock landcruiser as far as width and track go. I want to keep all tires and rims the same so I only have to carry one spar.

I could and still may go with the solid pickup axle up front if it looks like too many alignment/fitment problems show up or it will be too big of a P.I.T.A. The front pickup axle is a bit narrower and most people will use 1"-1.5" spacers up front to match the newer wider rear (when doing the swap on a 3rd gen 90's pickup).

Why would I need the IFS hubs?

The IFS hubs would widen the stock mini truck front axle (or really any of the Cruiser axles as well) 3," so your front would then be 58" wide. Sky sells a kit to do it. Toyota Wide Axle Kit - Sky's Off-road Design

But I wouldn't mess with spacers. The kit, yes, spacers no. Also, if you go with the Tacoma rear axle, you might be interested in using the "8.4" rear diff since the pinion is stronger and has the bearing cap and truss. No e-locker though.

ridgerunner: Thanks for the tip and the link and the info on the tacoma rear end.

I am still a little confused on the front end however. Would I have to buy this kit and the listed parts like fj-60 rotors or could I just use the calipers, rotors, hubs etc. from my 1992 IFS front end?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom