Electric Power Steering - any DIY solutions out there? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

South Texas 97

GOLD Star
Threads
I have seen there are a couple of EPS systems out there - Cityracer has an FJ40 specific version which looks very nice, but is a little over my budget at this point.
Has anyone attempted to roll their own using a Toyota or Kia ESP unit?

Search bought up a nice how to from @wngrog on the Whitey build, but I could not find anything else?

Thanks

I’m far from done but I have a Prius EPS going into a 59 f100. Lots of head scratching, but it’s doable. I haven’t confirmed it, but it should fit under the dash of a 40. You could keep the stock box. It’ll take some fab to connect it to the box. The wheel, I’m not sure. The ford wheel seems to slip over the Toyota splines, but I don’t think I trust it.
I went to the pic-n-pull and grabbed the eps ($60) and brain box($20). Lots of right ups on the web.

Thanks, @archie73 and @ryanwk628 , that will be my approach as well. I have a spare column for my 76 FJ40 and will get to a pick a part place this weekend and pull what I need. Some careful measurements, and will find a good fabricator in the area to assist with any welding or turning work needed. Will post a how-to as it comes along.

I have to ask where does that quote about getting dark on your tag line come from?

I will find the link later but there is a pretty detailed thread on here that details it using a Saturn Vue Motor.
I have built three units, way less than the currently available price on City Racers site.
If you are doing all the work yourself then you can save quite a bit.
If you are paying someone else then the City Racer unit is well worth the price.
I would not build one to sell for much less than that price.

Found the link.

Thanks, @Shark56 I searched, but it did not bring up this link. Awesome stuff, and I will post as things progress.
I am sure you are right about the pricing - part of it is the $ and part is simply the challenge of making something like this myself!

Thanks, @Shark56 I searched, but it did not bring up this link. Awesome stuff, and I will post as things progress.
I am sure you are right about the pricing - part of it is the $ and part is simply the challenge of making something like this myself!
I sourced a low mileage Saturn Vue electric power assist unit from my local pick and pull junkyard for 35 bucks back in 2019 and the controller on ebay for 55 bucks to install on my mustang. I had to purchase a coupling and a bearing to support the shaft but all in, I invested less than 200 bucks. Installation process looks similar on the FJ. Im sure the VUE units are getting hard to find at this point but worth a look at your local salvage yard if you want to go cheap.

Im sure the VUE units are getting hard to find at this point but worth a look at your local salvage yard if you want to go cheap.
This is why I went with the Prius unit. The Saturn stuff hasn’t been made in a while, whereas Toyota made a lot of Priuses(Priui?). I was not aware of the Acadia working as well, but still. The web is full of people using them to adapt into just about anything with wheels.

One additional hint I will give: I was able to mix and match ends on borgenson u joint and another brand ujoint to adapt the Toyota splines output to a ford triangular input. They used same size u joint. It won’t alleviate all the welding, but it was easier then making a spud shaft and saves space.

Currently looking at a Kia Soul or Toyota Corolla unit - heading to the pick a part place this Sunday to see what I can find. It seems from another site, both work in limp home mode, which is what we need when the ECU is not connected to the EPS module.
This is the site that has some options for us.

Currently looking at a Kia Soul or Toyota Corolla unit - heading to the pick a part place this Sunday to see what I can find. It seems from another site, both work in limp home mode, which is what we need when the ECU is not connected to the EPS module.
This is the site that has some options for us.
Document what you end up doing. I am sure it will be very helpful to others. Especially parts numbers for joints and mods for mounting the column.

Currently looking at a Kia Soul or Toyota Corolla unit - It seems from another site, both work in limp home mode,
I can confirm the Toyota unit will work in limp home mode, it will provide a moderate amount of assist. They work well in cars but should also be sufficient for a large tire vehicle. That's one advantage of using the Toyota assist units, no additional controller needed. The Toyota Yaris is another source for EPAS units while you're at the pick a part. I avoid anything KIA so cannot comment if it will work in limp home mode

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom