Land Cruiser ‘Land cruiser trim’ vs 6th gen 4R TRDpro. Which would you pick? (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes. The response was comparing Durango where I consider it infrequent snowy roads relative to Anchorage where the roads are more consistently frozen/snowpacked. Compared to Honolulu, Durango is pretty snowy.

Except you made the assumption I live down in town. No, I’m not in Alaska but my subdivision roads are snow packed for approx 4 months of the year. The constant freeze thaw makes the roads worse than if it was always cold. I welcome more snow, it offers more traction once we get plowed out. Stretches without snow make the roads more difficult. My yard is still melting out. Picture below the road I live on. I’ve had to winch home a few times.

IMG_0060.jpeg

So 250-series LandCruiser trim and Tacoma Trail Hunter are basically the same MSRP. But the Taco gets rock rails, lightbar, high air intake, scene lighting, ARB rear bumper, OME shocks, roof rack. Unless all the Trail Hunter goodies are not standard it seems like a pretty good price for that trim to me. (comparatively speaking, lets not discuss 65K trucks as affordable)

Yeah, I think given current vehicle pricing it's not out of line. I just think people's hopes were way off when discussing 4runner pricing vs land cruiser due to following pricing of the last gen. I'm guessing Pro/TH 4runner will be right in line with a top spec 250 (not FE).

Yeah, I think given current vehicle pricing it's not out of line. I just think people's hopes were way off when discussing 4runner pricing vs land cruiser due to following pricing of the last gen. I'm guessing Pro/TH 4runner will be right in line with a top spec 250 (not FE).
Assuming the 4R follows suit on the Tacoma pricing above it looks to be a better value than the LC similarly equipped. There used to be some definitive differences between the two. Now it appears the LC badge is very expensive.

All wheel drive has been discussed. But the other difference could be the fit and finish of them both. The T4R could have all those goodies but will still be a 4Runner , which is not a bad thing at all, but if you based previous gens, they weren't a LC. We shall see if the LC250 still has that edge vs the T4R as before , however if they are really 1:1 in terms of quality of finish and materials, then we will have another story building up ...

🫂🤗

Assuming the 4R follows suit on the Tacoma pricing above it looks to be a better value than the LC similarly equipped. There used to be some definitive differences between the two. Now it appears the LC badge is very expensive.

All in the eye of the beholder. A lot of the "value" at least on the Trailhunter could be added on after the fact for cheaper than the dealer with better parts.

All wheel drive has been discussed. But the other difference could be the fit and finish of them both. The T4R could have all those goodies but will still be a 4Runner , which is not a bad thing at all, but if you based previous gens, they weren't a LC. We shall see if the LC250 still has that edge vs the T4R as before , however if they are really 1:1 in terms of quality of finish and materials, then we will have another story building up ...

🫂🤗
I think historically this depends on era. IMO a 2010 4Runner was simpler interior by far. But also better materials in many cases than a 2010 lc200. However, that wasn't obvious at the time. The 4Runner has just held up better over time. Later 200s interiors were much nicer. Vs Prado - 4Runner is pretty close to identical in similar trim.

In this case the only thing I can think of spec wise is that the 4Runner gets a bigger screen, but I'm not sure what else we can compare yet. My bet is that a capstone 4Runner is nicer than any trim of LC. But it'll probably cost more too.

The positioning of the LC under the GX really limits what Toyota can do on features and materials without overlapping the GX. The 4Runner can go a bit higher in lux without that issue.

It'll be interesting to see what comes out. I think sales will be slow on the $65-70k 4Runner trims in a 7-8% interest environment.

IMO a 2010 4Runner was simpler interior by far. But also better materials in many cases than a 2010 lc200. However, that wasn't obvious at the time. The 4Runner has just held up better over time.
Please expand on this.

Please expand on this.
Go look in half a dozen 200k mile 4Runners and lc200s from that era. It'll be obvious.

The cheap faux wood plastics, painted plastics, touch points like shift knob and steering wheels didn't hold up very well. Leather isn't as durable as softex in general. And the nav screen on a couple I've seen have lost the red color so they're sorta black and white. I'm not sure it's cheaper materials, but maybe less durable is a more apt description.

Last edited:
I thought the idea of the 250 was to go back to clear heirarchy of 4Runner > lc250 > lc300 but it seems like it's more confused than ever with the 250 being more expensive than the 300 initially and 4R possibly topping out the same or higher than a lc250. I'm the case of Tacoma/Tundra is a clear division in products. Here is pretty darn muddy since they're all functionally the same basic thing.

Strange times at the Toyota dealer.

It's particularly confusing to the non educated buyer. For folks on here who understand the intricacies of each model we can pick our flavor based off of what we want. To someone who doesn't really offroad, or understand offroad features, the 4runner and LC250 especially will come off as very similar for the top 4runner trims. Does it just come down to looks at that point? Who knows.

By all appearances though the whole TNGA-F lineup will sell like hotcakes and in the end Toyota gets what they want regardless. I'm just interested to see how your average Toyota salesman differentiates a Pro/TH 4runner from a LC250.

I don't have any stats to back this up, but I am a bit worried about the leather seats on the higher end LC's in longevity over the softex that can be found in the 4Runner and lower LC trims. I've seen some 200's with some beat up seats.

I thought the idea of the 250 was to go back to clear heirarchy of 4Runner > lc250 > lc300 but it seems like it's more confused than ever with the 250 being more expensive than the 300 initially and 4R possibly topping out the same or higher than a lc250. I'm the case of Tacoma/Tundra is a clear division in products. Here is pretty darn muddy since they're all functionally the same basic thing.

Strange times at the Toyota dealer.
Feels like the FJ Cruiser vs 5th gen 4Runner situation back in the 2010's. Same underbody, engine, and guts. But completely different designs/styles. People will choose what style suits them, tho what's funny, the roles have reversed with LC vs 4Runner. IMO the 6th gen 4Runner has become the FJ in the modern day and the LC has become the 5th gen 4Runner.

Feels like the FJ Cruiser vs 5th gen 4Runner situation back in the 2010's. Same underbody, engine, and guts. But completely different designs/styles. People will choose what style suits them, tho what's funny, the roles have reversed with LC vs 4Runner. IMO the 6th gen 4Runner has become the FJ in the modern day and the LC has become the 5th gen 4Runner.
I think in this case the 4Runner doesn't have all the big negatives of the FJ - poor visibility, poor access doors, etc. But yeah, they were too similar and it ended with the FJ going away. And basically the same with the lc200. The 4Runner was too close and half the price.

Go look in half a dozen 200k mile 4Runners and lc200s from that era. It'll be obvious.

The cheap faux wood plastics, painted plastics, touch points like shift knob and steering wheels didn't hold up very well. Leather isn't as durable as softex in general. And the nav screen on a couple I've seen have lost the red color so they're sorta black and white. I'm not sure it's cheaper materials, but maybe less durable is a more apt description.
Granted mines a 2014, but my 200’s interior looks the exact same as it did the day I bought it. Two large dogs and kids are frequently in and out of it.

My 2005s leather is in great shape as well with 240k miles on it.

I don't have any stats to back this up, but I am a bit worried about the leather seats on the higher end LC's in longevity over the softex that can be found in the 4Runner and lower LC trims. I've seen some 200's with some beat up seats.
My 2013 200 has 100k miles and the seats look quite good. There is a small amount of wear on the bolster of the driver’s seat. My ‘03 4Runner Limited also had leather seats and they were fine when I sold it with 135k miles.

In all honesty, I have seen average salesman that did not even understand the differencez between the LC200 and Sequoia 🤦🏿‍♀️. At the end, probably dont care other than selling more and more....

It's particularly confusing to the non educated buyer. For folks on here who understand the intricacies of each model we can pick our flavor based off of what we want. To someone who doesn't really offroad, or understand offroad features, the 4runner and LC250 especially will come off as very similar for the top 4runner trims. Does it just come down to looks at that point? Who knows.

By all appearances though the whole TNGA-F lineup will sell like hotcakes and in the end Toyota gets what they want regardless. I'm just interested to see how your average Toyota salesman differentiates a Pro/TH 4runner from a LC250.

It is weird only here in the USA where is a big market for the 4Runner ... That's the biggest difference vs the rest of the world. The 4Runner sells well here and that's all they care. 😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom