Land Cruiser ‘Land cruiser trim’ vs 6th gen 4R TRDpro. Which would you pick? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I like both vehicles and find them each appealing in their own way. The deciding factor for me between the two will come down to interior space and headroom. I’m pretty tall and found the 5G 4Runner to be a bit claustrophobic with the lower roof and higher belt line compared to my 100. Strangely, I don’t get the same sensation in my work 3G Tacoma. Hopefully the 6G 4Runner will have a bit more headroom.

I’m also curious how the overall interior space is in the 4Runner. It has grown in dimensions and I’m curious if the interior proportions will be similar to my 100. The size of the 100 is great for us as a family of 5.

I suspect the LC250 is what will suit me best, but the 4Runner really has my attention as it offers everything the LC250 does and in some trims more at a likely lower price point.

I def don’t disagree but I wouldn’t argue the 250 absolutely nailed it in the looks department. Or the angles/clearance/factory-ready 4x4 department.
I think it's pretty damn good looking. The off road worthiness was always going to be somewhat limited to efficiency regs and bean counters and based on the reviews so far, they seem to have done a decent job balancing everything.

For me its the LC or GX. We like full-time 4WD or Auto 4WD so only the premium 4R would work, but the 6th gen 4R has a face only a mother could love.
Yea, it's really great if you live some place with refreeze.

Do we definitively know that the Premium 4Runner will be the only trim offered with full time 4wd? Just because this was the case with previous generation I'd be cautious about assuming it's true with the new one.

This is what's kinda confusing to me. In history, the station wagon Cruisers had an engineering target for a 25 year service life for most if not all parts. When everything is on the same architecture, does that bring the 4Runner and the Prado up to that level or bring them down from the LC300/LX600?
Here in the PNW I see 30 year old 4Runners daily being used as commuter vehicles. I would say a 4Runner, Prado, or anything else with a Toyota badge will easily last 25 years in a salt free environment.

I think it's pretty damn good looking. The off road worthiness was always going to be somewhat limited to efficiency regs and bean counters and based on the reviews so far, they seem to have done a decent job balancing everything.
I Stan Toyota as much as the next person here but this clearly wasn’t an impediment for Ford or Jeep when they brought/bring actual enthusiast-focused products to market.

As much as it seems like it’s god awful even the wrangler got a PHEV, and a bronco variant prob isn’t far off, so not sure efficiency is a super viable point to consider in this context. Shooting from the hip on this but from a pure efficiency standpoint those PHEV models would seem to have lower overall emissions than the LC while still being leaps and bounds more capable off road. (Ride comfort, reliability, build quality aside.)

As a rule AWD is out for me....so the 250 is not an option for me.
The 6G 4R is gonna have to do a whole lot of growing on me, too bad it lacks the 250's looks.....but its p/t 4WD......no way no how am I going to be an early adopter of the 2.4 turbo.

That leaves me pondering a leftover 5G 4R or running what I have for a couple years and seeing what happens with the 2.4 turbo......there's always the Nissan pickup with its normally aspirated engine that most resembles whats currently in 5G 4R

Do we definitively know that the Premium 4Runner will be the only trim offered with full time 4wd? Just because this was the case with previous generation I'd be cautious about assuming it's true with the new one.
The release video said something to effect of "full time 4wd on premium grades" - I'm not sure what exactly that means, but I think it probably means Limited and Platinum trims only.

I Stan Toyota as much as the next person here but this clearly wasn’t an impediment for Ford or Jeep when they brought/bring actual enthusiast-focused products to market.

As much as it seems like it’s god awful even the wrangler got a PHEV, and a bronco variant prob isn’t far off, so not sure efficiency is a super viable point to consider in this context. Shooting from the hip on this but from a pure efficiency standpoint those PHEV models would seem to have lower overall emissions than the LC while still being leaps and bounds more capable off road. (Ride comfort, reliability, build quality aside.)
I guess I didn't explain what I meant clearly enough. I meant from Toyota's perspective of manufacturing and how they try to maximize platform efficiencies towards increasing profits, all while hitting emissions standards and providing good daily drivers.

I personally wasn't expecting the end all, be all of offroading. In fact, the LC hasn't been that in many years. To me the LC is the ultimate in balancing off-road, overlanding, and daily driving qualities. The wrangler and bronco can be the modded rock crawlers with loud interiors and s*** overall quality.

With all that considered, I think the LC and GX appear to be damn good representations of what a LC is and should be. As soon as you drive them off the lot, they're each going to reliably take you further into remote areas than 99% of cars on the road.

I do enough bad weather / winter road trips that I won't buy anything without AWD / full time 4WD. (Plus it's just great for long gravel roads.) But then I want it to be as good off-road as possible. And between the 4Runner Limited/Platinum and the Land Cruiser Land Cruiser (LC2?) the Land Cruiser is my preference, the 4Runner lacks a rear locker. I wish they had a Land Cruiser Trailhunter trim, I'd get that! Maybe by next year they'll have that, or maybe I'll get the LC and mod. Alternately, if the 4Runner Trailhunter had a full time 4WD option with center and rear lockers, I'd probably get that over the LC.

I do enough bad weather / winter road trips that I won't buy anything without AWD / full time 4WD. (Plus it's just great for long gravel roads.) But then I want it to be as good off-road as possible. And between the 4Runner Limited/Platinum and the Land Cruiser Land Cruiser (LC2?) the Land Cruiser is my preference, the 4Runner lacks a rear locker. I wish they had a Land Cruiser Trailhunter trim, I'd get that! Maybe by next year they'll have that, or maybe I'll get the LC and mod. Alternately, if the 4Runner Trailhunter had a full time 4WD option with center and rear lockers, I'd probably get that over the LC.
I'm willing to bet that after the First Editions are gone there will be some sort of off road focused variant. Whether they call it Trailhunter or something else. Toyota makes too much money off of slapping in a Fox suspension and new grill and charging 10k more.

For appearance, headroom, and a full time transfer box, I would select the LC250 over the 6th Gen 4Runner. I don't love the double moustache and I spend enough time on lousy winter roads to really appreciate a full time system.

All that said, based on the Canadian pricing, I'm seriously considering the merits of the GX550 over either of them.

I'm willing to bet that after the First Editions are gone there will be some sort of off road focused variant. Whether they call it Trailhunter or something else. Toyota makes too much money off of slapping in a Fox suspension and new grill and charging 10k more.

agreed. don’t forget about this one floating around

IMG_2961.jpeg

Yes for the Platinum, optional for Limited. And it looks like neither of those will have a rear locker option.

"The Limited is offered with an available a full-time four-wheel-drive system with a center locking differential on i-FORCE MAX models, while this setup is standard on Platinum grades."

Toyota Press Release

My guess is that the optional part of the limited means that it also comes in a two-wheel drive model. Not that it comes with a part-time.

To be fair, it still will get full ATRAC which is pretty capable.

My guess is that the optional part of the limited means that it also comes in a two-wheel drive model. Not that it comes with a part-time.
That would be my assumption as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom