FJ40 Accelerator Linkage Rod Part Failure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ackcruisers

SILVER Star
Threads
I just went to install a new/used accelerator linkage on my 1976 FJ40. The shorter rod is spinning and moving inside its socket. Is this just “pressed” into the socket to immobilize it?

See video short to demonstrate the issue.

This could very well be resistance welded at the factory. With something so important (safety), I would not do anything to secure this in place other than perhaps a spot weld. Using any polymer like JB Weld is out of the question. It always fails.

Low temp silver solder - holds on gun sights even with recoil in hot or cold weather.

Isn't it peened over at the inner end to fatten it up and cause an interference fit?
Looks like it wasn't peened enough.
You could try heating the inner tip with gas until its glowing red and then tighten it in a vice until its tight in the hole.

Isn't it peened over at the inner end to fatten it up and cause an interference fit?
Looks like it wasn't peened enough.
You could try heating the inner tip with gas until its glowing red and then tighten it in a vice until its tight in the hole.
Thanks for the alternative suggestion. Due to the high cost of silver solder (SSF6 is like $100 for 4 rods) I just ended up welding it so it will never move again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom