Builds 78 Mustard Yellow FJ40 #Tiger40 (15 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks guys! Back home now. Definitely runs a bit hotter and has less torque going uphill. Unless that’s just a normal FJ40 on 33’s and stock gear problem lol, 3rd gear screaming rpms and going 40mph 😆

View attachment 3578089

View attachment 3579327
I just put 33x9.50-15 on mine for the first time this past summer. The truck is now noticeably slower and less power than ever. For the past four decades I have run it on 31’s. Big difference.

Evap test

IMG_5299.jpeg

Of course you did brother!

Congratulations.

You really are a special breed.
I would have bought land somewhere else and registered it there. That would have been my solution.

Good for you man. Your truck is something special.

Nice work! Congratulations! After seeing what you went through with the re-smog I think I will just desmog my '79 since we don't have CARB testing here.

I just put 33x9.50-15 on mine for the first time this past summer. The truck is now noticeably slower and less power than ever. For the past four decades I have run it on 31’s. Big difference.
I'm glad you left this comment and verified my thoughts on the power loss. After I sorted out the vacuum lines it got better, but I definitely notice it's much lazier with 33's compared to the stock size.

I have learned a lot from everyone and appreciate all of the input along the way! There is still some more work to be done but the hardest part is over.

I'd love to find some carb legal downey headers and swap them in someday, but it isn't too high on the priority list. The FJ40 power is ok during normal driving but it doesn't have a lot of pep up top compared to the 100 miles I logged desmogged. Aside from that, it is much more quiet in the cab and seems cooler inside without the headers on.

I am still waiting for the OP Machine bumper to arrive so I can get that and the m8274 winch installed. Then I plan to drop the transmission to fix the cam plug or rear main seal leak (not sure if it's one or both) and the top will come off during the summer to replace all the weatherstrip and get a new headliner installed.

Last edited:
I have learned a lot from everyone and appreciate all of the input along the way! There is still some more work to be done but the hardest part is over.

I'd love to find some carb legal downey headers and swap them in someday, but it isn't too high on the priority list. The FJ40 power is ok during normal driving but it doesn't have a lot of pep up top compared to the 100 miles I logged desmogged. Aside from that, it is much more quiet in the cab and seems cooler inside without the headers on.

I am still waiting for the OP Machine bumper to arrive so I can get that and the m8274 winch installed. Then I plan to drop the transmission to fix the cam plug or rear main seal leak (not sure if it's one or both) and the top will come off during the summer to replace all the weatherstrip and get a new headliner installed.
You can always Holley Sniper it. Beyond that, there's not much you can do besides an engine swap (which I'm not an advocate for). It is still a 40 after all. Speed Kills, Live Forever, Drive a Landcruiser.

Going to a cars and coffee in dtla tomorrow. Decided to get some of these parts off the work bench and on the FJ40.

IMG_5352.jpeg

IMG_5356.jpeg

I ordered this replacement dome light from Toyota, but the new version sucks. It has a dowel for the top instead of a screw and the switch feels cheap. So, I cleaned up the b pillar and old dome light base with cutting compound and put it back on with the new cover.

IMG_5346.jpeg

IMG_5349.jpeg

IMG_5350.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom