Which fastener? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

KLF

Frame waxer
SILVER Star
Threads
I need to hang a new Vevor air hose reel on the wall in my shop, not sure which type of fastener to use. I have 3/8" x 3-1/2" lag screws with washers, or these new Simpson WS22 x 4” Timber Screws. I have plenty of both. Reel weights 23 lbs but is also subject to being tugged on to deploy the hose. They are going directly into the 2x4 studs.

Not sure which is stronger? WWYD?

PXL_20240109_161948183.jpg

PXL_20240109_161758097.jpg

classic answer would be the lag bolts, I imagine. Seems like it would have more holding power given the denser and longer thread.
the 4" might be marginally too long too?

classic answer would be the lag bolts, I imagine. Seems like it would have more holding power given the denser and longer thread.
the 4" might be marginally too long too?
There's 1/2" plywood on both sides of the studs. I shoulda mentioned that.

I am using those Simpson flange head screws to hang the birch plywood panels in my shop and I've been very impressed with them. I'm guessing the lag screws are inherently stronger but that doesn't mean they will hold better in the stud. I would try the Simpsons first. If for some reason they don't work you can always throw the lag screw in. Given the relative diameters, I don't think you can sequence that trial the other way around.

FWIW I am only using them because I wanted the look of the exposed shoulder and I am counter-boring the plywood so that the head sits flush. They are definitely pretty strong though.

It looks like you might need larger washer(s) to use either one. In fact, how do you screw those in? Does the reel come apart or is it more accessible than it appears? Maybe you need lag screw studs so that you can use a washer and a nut to attach the reel?

Edit: 4 of either of those will hold way more than that hose reel.

curious about the spacing of those notches in the bracket, that looks like more than 1". Will all the screws fit in one stud? Of course, you can bridge between 2 studs with a board or Unitstrut, and then it does not matter. You could also make a rack with all your air accessories next to the reel, then.

FWIW, I put my reel between the tracks for 2 of the garage doors and bolted it to the tracks. I end up using air outside a fair bit.

curious about the spacing of those notches in the bracket, that looks like more than 1". Will all the screws fit in one stud? Of course, you can bridge between 2 studs with a board or Unitstrut, and then it does not matter. You could also make a rack with all your air accessories next to the reel, then.

FWIW, I put my reel between the tracks for 2 or the garage doors and bolted it to the tracks. I end up using air outside a fair bit.

If it's like other reels, the hole/slot is too wide for stud mounting. Maybe 2 or 3 but not 1. The ones I've mounted have gone on steel beams. If going on single studs, install a 2x6 or similar across at least 2 studs to mount on.

I use the timber screws often. They're very good. Not sure what size lag bolts but I've snapped the heads off 1/4" lag bolts several times while tightening.

I am mounting this at a spot in the wall where there are 5 (yes 5) studs stacked together, so I have 7.5" of solid wood to screw into. The framer (not me) figured it was easier to just pack more studs adjacent than ladder some spacers between.

The reel can be removed from the mounting bracket for easier installation.

Thanks for the replies.

Simpson or GRK screws
Lag screws (bolts) arent manufactured to the same tolerance as lag bolts

As a disclaimer, Simpson has bought me lunch as a structural engineer 😂

Saw these on a job site last week. These grk are the bomb for strength going into concrete

7A688A7A-F46E-4A72-8D3B-84DB67E80BC6.jpeg

either would be strong enough, the weak point would be the wood. use the lag bolts because it's easier to install, the hex head will be easier to work with. large washer is important also.

My hose reel was mounted with lags into a big header beam in my last house. Over a decade of use and no issues.

Been meaning to update with what I decided to do, here's what I came up with.

PXL_20240122_180340702.jpg

Bolted the base to a scrap of 2x6, using 7/16" bolts and nylon locknuts sunk into the back side. Then I used 5" Simpson SDWS screws to attach this across 3 of the 5 studs in the framing at that spot. Had to use a long extension with the T30 bit to reach them. Yeah, it's not going anywhere. I could probably hang my truck from that thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom