Bench seat seatbelt options - lap only? Or shoulder harness? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

UZJ40

OEM(ish)
SILVER Star
Threads
I've never owned a vehicle with bench seats without headrests... I believe all 40's with the bench seats had lap belts only. Are most guys out there with the early style bench seats running lap belts only, or have you upgraded to a shoulder harness as well?

Thank you

I've never owned a vehicle with bench seats without headrests... I believe all 40's with the bench seats had lap belts only. Are most guys out there with the early style bench seats running lap belts only, or have you upgraded to a shoulder harness as well?

Thank you
Added 3 pt shoulder belts off the roll bar to our ‘72. Some pretty decent prices on Hummer kits out there.

I have a 68, only came with lap belts. If you don’t have head rests, only lap belts should be used.
Is that a safety recommendation? I'm curious if there's any data that you should or should not use shoulder belts with bench seats.

Added 3 pt shoulder belts off the roll bar to our ‘72. Some pretty decent prices on Hummer kits out there.
Does it feel strange having should harness without headrests?

Do you have a link to the kits you used?

I think Volvo was the first to introduce 3 point harness and from their data came the ‘rule of thumb’….no head test, no shoulder harness, if shoulder harness, incorporate head rest.

Something about whiplash, break your neck when your head flops back….from the reverse inertia after an abrupt stop, e.g. a collision.

I'm confused with this headrest talk in regards to type of belt. I've never touched a headrest in any vehicle with the back of my head except for trying to sleep in it. I imagine not having head rests is the least of your worries in a bad accident in a 40 series, regardless of the type of belt.

I'm confused with this headrest talk in regards to type of belt. I've never touched a headrest in any vehicle with the back of my head except for trying to sleep in it. I imagine not having head rests is the least of your worries in a bad accident in a 40 series, regardless of the type of belt.
I agree 100%. But willing to hear opinions from others... I've never put much thought into this.

I agree 100%. But willing to hear opinions from others... I've never put much thought into this.
I have a terrible opinion, my two street drivable 40's both have lap belts, and I just flat out don't wear them. Ih8lapbelts

I think Volvo was the first to introduce 3 point harness and from their data came the ‘rule of thumb’….no head test, no shoulder harness, if shoulder harness, incorporate head rest.

Something about whiplash, break your neck when your head flops back….from the reverse inertia after an abrupt stop, e.g. a collision.
I’ve been rear ended in an 89 S10. Shoulder belts, no headrest, I was stopped on the clutch, she was estimated between 45-55mph and didn’t see me- no brakes. The rear window works pretty well for a headrest but it’ll shatter.

I went wit 3 point lap/ shoulder belts in the front of our 1970 with a bench seat. If I recall correctly, I got them from CCOT. The shoulder hardware mounted to a later OEM roll bar.

My rule of thumb for all things that increase the laws of physics is: Only install, use or carry as much safety equipment as you think your life is worth.

I have a 68, only came with lap belts. If you don’t have head rests, only lap belts should be used.

Is that a safety recommendation? I'm curious if there's any data that you should or should not use shoulder belts with bench seats.

I know the headrest style changed with the 76 model. 1/76 three point seat were required on the two front seats. At that point believe head were no longer an option but standard. Would make sense about the headrests and three point seat belts. The later 76-78 are much more common. The earlier are fairly rare. The plugs used prior to headrests being standard are even rarer. It was either 82 or 83 I bought a set 74 bucket seats. This was from an individual not a wrecking yard and the plug were still there. My 10/75 had neither headrests or plugs. Only has lap belts and make more sense it has plug not headrests. Plugs just slip while headrests are difficult to remove on 73-78 bucket seats. While the 10l/75 only has 4,500 miles it wasn't until 2007 I bought it. Plenty of time for plugs to go MIA.

Applying today’s safety standards to old trucks are like revisiting history and judging people based on our current culture. Surely the 3 point harness just holds you in place so the solid steering column can pierce you right through the chest. Enjoy life and hope when your time comes it is swift and certain.

I've always been in favor of headrests and a 3 point belt. If I had a bench I'd be using some of the spare headrests I have access to and adding them to the bench seat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom