A New option for shallow mount speakers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
51XFMW4MVyL.jpg

Have you ever....?

Now that's one slim speaker!

I don't know much about CDT speakers, let alone these things, but with a top mount depth of 1.5" I had to look into this.
Apparently CDT is a pretty high end European manufacturer of audio products and from the few reviews I've seen they make some pretty awesome stuff. This pair comes with a set of component tweeters and goes for $250 to $300.

I just upgraded my amp from 70wpc RMS to 125wpc RMS so I'm looking to upgrade the speakers too (Polk DB6501), and with depth being so limiting I'm always happy to see another speaker that fits.

So anybody running these in their 80? Or any experience with the brand at all?

That's pretty cool! Go for it and give us a review. Love the idea of a component tweeter.

No idea on these particular speakers, but CDT was pretty well regarded when I was in the car audio scene 8 years a go or so.

What's the part number for these speakers, got a link?

I run the CDT gold series speakers in my 'better' setup. they're incredibly good. I think what you'll need to do with those is spend a long time making sure the hole you put them in is up for the task. Dynolined both sides, good baffle, nicely isolated from the front, etc...

But if the quality of that speaker is even half of what the mains I have are, it's worth it. Really great quality stuff.

Will these fit the rear door too? I could keep my fronts and add them to the back.

What's the part number for these speakers, got a link?

I'm fairly sure those are these CDT Audio Midwoofer CL-6SL.

It's just the drivers tho, so it doesn't include crossovers or tweeters. That said, I think it's the same driver as in some of their sets, which I've had on my eye on for a few years, to include a 3-way comp set including 4" drivers (for the dash?). CDT Audio CL-642SL

Poke around their site, they have a bunch of slim options.

Can't believe I forgot to give info on the speaker!

It's the CDT CL-642SL. A full component kit, not just a mid/woofer.

Now check this one out.

I found it after some more digging:

Is it from outer space? Or did someone just sit on it?

g210ViRN602-o_side.jpg

Heh heh...

Kind of looks like the stock 80 speakers don't it?

This one has an awesome inner motor structure with the magnet inside.

g210ViRN602-o_detail3.jpg

It's the Morel Virtus Nano. A 6-3/4" component set.

It's $500

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_210VIRN602/Morel-Virtus-Nano-602.html?cc=02&tp=106

Last edited:
Last edited:
Oh man,
I have to start from scratch on my "system" so I'm interested in this thread.....but I can quickly see my budget getting blown away!
Keep us informed if you go this route!

If you guys need a good shallow mount component set for the front that won't break the bank then look on Amazon for the Infiniti Reference 6030CS. Right now they're $83 and they sound damn good, especially considering the price.

Well I went this way... Set #2, the Morel's. I like that they're sort of a take off of our stock weirdo convex speaks to compensate for the shallow space. But instead of giving Panasonic a fixed budget in 1990 to compensate for the shallow mounting and poor positioning, this is an unlimited budget proof of concept endeavor to make a thin speaker that can really compete regardless of size constraints. To see if it can be done and if not just scrap the project. But Morel went overboard (2-1/2 years) over-budget and really believe they've done it. So I'll give them a shot in almost the car they were made for, whether they knew it or not. ; )

I hope they did it.
I have a new 125W RMS amp to drive them and I like it right out of the box. I always wondered why amps all had these goofy screw down slug power and speaker connections. Would you ever couple your batteries this way? Hell no! So why power your amp with this thing that squishes the middle strands and ignores the rest?

car%2Bamp%2Bkeeps%2Bmelting%2Bfuses%2Bon%2Bpower%2Bwire.jpg

The Pioneer PRS-D800 has what I always wanted to see but didn't.

Screw down posts for crimped spade connectors!!!

PRS-D800_side2.jpg

703615.jpg

incar-entertainment_review-archive_2012-04_PRS-D800-mainjpg.jpg

Why oh why don't all amps do it this way...?

The PRS-D800 has these for the speaks too. Awesome!

And it's not much bigger than a brick! (But a lot heavier) So you can run 3, 4 or 5 of these things!

So anyway I'll let you guys know how things work out.

I know these are out of most folks budget, and truth be told, mine too. I just kept looking at "almost fit" speakers and trying to imagine ways to make them fit that I just gave up and gave in and got the best guaranteed fitment slim ones I could find. Especially since my VW has the same clearance issues and these Morel's may just find their way there in the future.

The amp though was only $175 though. Not bad for a clean, uncolored 125w RMS X 2 at 4 ohm - 300w Peak class D amp.

Will review both soon.

Last edited:
Man, Morels are nice! I built a set of home speakers with 5" Morel woofers way back. They have a very smooth sound for being plastic but still sound fast.

Once you have that kind of money in speakers I can't imagine using the generic, passive crossover they come with. A miniDSP with your nice component set would let you tune them to your actual vehicle. Home | miniDSP The 2x4 miniDSP is about $100 and gives you full control of phase, eq and crossovers. It's super easy to setup and you can tune it in realtime. In my experience, you'll never hear the difference between a $250 component set and a $500 one without a great install and tuning.

All speakers have different sound profiles... no one manufacturer produces 100% excellence. That said, theres a good chance cdt will sound nice but you may be dissatisfied with the shallow mounts as there are some engineering tradeoffs made with that design.

Ive owned 3 sets of cdt components, morel elates, etc. Honestly you get used to whatever you have after a while so also dont overthink it. In order of complexity you can evolve to whatever level you like:

1) new head unit with built in amp
2) new door speakers (coax or whatever)
3) sub/amp
4) external amp for mids and highs
5) component speakers with serious install considerations
6) active crossovers, external dacs, etc

Last random protip: cheap amplifiers will sound just as good as expensive ones as long as they arent pushed past their limits.

My HU (Pioneer DEH-80prs) does all that crossover point and slope stuff. It can run in network mode too so one day I may go that route, with separate woofers, mids, and tweets all individually controlled by the HU.

As for amps sounding the same... just before this amp I got a "2000 watt" MB Quart 100wpc Discus amp that sounded horrid! The vocalls in each song I played sounded like singing into a coffee can with some weird reverb like effect no matter how I EQ'd the thing. I still have it but it's going back!

I have a sub I use more as a 12" woofer than a "sub" driver. It's rated to 400hz.
Lately I've even been using it with the amps HIGH pass filter, starting at 50hz. Either way it's just like having 12" home speakers. I have Polk components in the front doors.

My HU (Pioneer DEH-80prs) does all that crossover point and slope stuff. It can run in network mode too so one day I may go that route, with separate woofers, mids, and tweets all individually controlled by the HU.

As for amps sounding the same... just before this amp I got a "2000 watt" MB Quart 100wpc Discus amp that sounded horrid! The vocalls in each song I played sounded like singing into a coffee can with some weird reverb like effect no matter how I EQ'd the thing. I still have it but it's going back!

I have a sub I use more as a 12" woofer than a "sub" driver. It's rated to 400hz.
Lately I've even been using it with the amps HIGH pass filter, starting at 50hz. Either way it's just like having 12" home speakers. I have Polk components in the front doors.
All amps sound the same if you remove processing and dont have them driven into clipping. If you can tell the difference in a test you can win 10k... but nobody has

Richard Clark Amplifier Challenge FAQ

d's are awesome. I have a couple of polk class Ds inside closed off spaces and they NEVER overheat at 60% or so

As far as the speakers, in my opinion, if you do a great job sealing and insulating, even the cheapie speakers will sound good. Get the cheap foam, lots of it, go to partsexpress.com, pick out a crossover, a thin woofer/midrange and a tweeter, an amp, some wires,and give it a try. 'Custom' can be very cheap. You don't have to go with a CDT audio setup to be happy with the sound.

Just whatever you do,stop with the crappy MP3 over Bluetooth!

51XFMW4MVyL.jpg

Have you ever....?

Now that's one slim speaker!

I don't know much about CDT speakers, let alone these things, but with a top mount depth of 1.5" I had to look into this.
Apparently CDT is a pretty high end European manufacturer of audio products and from the few reviews I've seen they make some pretty awesome stuff. This pair comes with a set of component tweeters and goes for $250 to $300.

I just upgraded my amp from 70wpc RMS to 125wpc RMS so I'm looking to upgrade the speakers too (Polk DB6501), and with depth being so limiting I'm always happy to see another speaker that fits.

So anybody running these in their 80? Or any experience with the brand at all?

I have the Polk audio speakers in the front doors. They sound excellent and were fairly easy to install.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom