Book on 4x4 service and troubleshooting for Newbs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HDJdreams

SILVER Star
Threads
I HAVE the FSM for my 97. The FSM is written for experienced technicians. I am looking for a book that explains the basics and theory of 4x4 service and troubleshooting for newbies. :meh: I was hoping fellow Mudders had some recommendations they liked. Thx.

That's what this forum is. :flipoff2:

There's lots of good YouTube videos on "4x4 driving tips" and lots of articles just searching on google.

But the best way to learn is to go out with a group and experience it. If there's a local TLCA chapter in your area attend a meeting and start talking to local cruiser heads.

Thanks for suggestion. I was actually looking for something that covered the basics of auto repair, to include front axles and transfercase.

There is a wealth of knowledge on Mud, but it is fragmented and usually on very specific items.

I am looking for an overview that covers the fundamentals, i.e. Fuel injection, ABS, engine management. Something to introduce my kids to fixing 4x4s, and update my skills and understanding. Virtually all my mechanic experience was working on stuff that was made before Reagan was in office, and it seems like it has been almost that long since I was actively wrenching.

TLC.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Toyota-Truck-Cruiser-Owners-Bible/dp/0837601592

I have one of these for Jeeps, It's pretty decent for basic overview stuff. I haven't looked at this one personally.

View attachment 1329496

I have one of these for Jeeps, It's pretty decent for basic overview stuff. I haven't looked at this one personally.

I have an older version of that book (newest motor was the 4.7) - but it covers the Toy lineup & isn't heavy reading.

Honestly, you might just make friends with a few guys in your regional group - you get to know a few that speak 80 & they can break down anything the "stickied" topics here & the 80 newb guide Slee has might not cover that you have q's about.

Or make a thread for each type topic you are a little stumped by - yeah, some may poke a little fun with you but this group is one of the best on the net for guys giving you info (go look on a Prelude forum, you'll see how OT some threads can go).

If you haven't really gone through the FAQ's here & on Slee, I'd do that - those 2 alone hit the all the major points, I think.

I find that some of the older books provide a better explanation of automotive concepts and theory compared to more current offerings. Of course they predate the electronic age. As strange as it sounds, I also learned a lot from automotive magazines as a teenager. There are also night courses at colleges. Took one a while back on carpentry and learned a lot in a short time and plenty of hands on work.
image.jpeg
P

Best way is search forum FAQ, look at YouTube vids, score some basic tools, and go to town. I've learned so much from doing this. Even when it got GAGNARLY technical with electrical stuff, which I have no experience with, I just posted RTH ( real time help) and @landcrshr helped me through the process. Rad!!! Score a few books mentioned above. You'll be wrenching in no time.

This guy...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom