FJ60 Fuel filler neck repair for $22, a how-to (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There is a adapter neck that connects to the stock filler and allows a new plastic screw on cap.

I forgot the company, but posted this info a few years ago.

This OP's method is a better option in my opinion, but the screw in adapter would work and be easier.

There is a adapter neck that connects to the stock filler and allows a new plastic screw on cap.

I forgot the company, but posted this info a few years ago.

This OP's method is a better option in my opinion, but the screw in adapter would work and be easier.

It might be one of these company's -

Filler Neck Supply: Gas Filler Hose | Fuel Filler Necks

Fuel Tank Accessories

They have many good options for fuel related items.

It is highly unlikely you would be able to get the fuel door to close with the additional height required for an adapter. Add in that the reason you would want an adapter is because the tangs on the fuel filler are bent and don't allow a cap to seal, which means your fancy new adapter wouldn't seal anyway.

If there was an easier way, I would have done it.

locking cap is a spring loaded seal that has been working great for me for several years now.the cap has 4 tabs 2 retract two don't whenyou put it on the non retracting tabs must be lined up with with the two notches onthe neck then you push and the other two lock' i think it would fail if it were not lined up right. that said i do have a spare one i bought used that wound up being no good also. i might do that one after i get done with my clutch i have tran dropped now. and have days of cleaning.

Last edited:
Thank you for your time and effort to solve a problem that all of us are going to have eventually. I will modify my spare neck and be ready when my current one starts to leak.

I just ran through smog and the shop I had been going to had a new tech... He could not get the test cap to seal for the tank test and sent me on my way. The issue is the test cap has a rod through the center to tighten on the ramped flanges where the cap has a ramped flange to match. My filler neck is a little buggered and if you twist the test cap too far it come loose. At the second smog shop I showed the tech how to not twist it to far and let the vacuum hold it, worked perfect and kept me from needing this for at least another 2 years.

saved for future use.

FordFascist,

I'm doing this on my 55 and have question on how you positioned the neck in relation to the drain holes inside, if that makes sense. In your pictures the fill hole is at the bottom of the neck and the two drain back holes are at the top. Is this the correct way, I was thinking of putting the drain holes at the bottom. Not even sure if it matters, just trying get it set in my mind. Do you have any problems putting the nozzle in the fill hole, in relation to the body.

Thanks,

This needs to be sticky'd.

FordFascist,

I'm doing this on my 55 and have question on how you positioned the neck in relation to the drain holes inside, if that makes sense. In your pictures the fill hole is at the bottom of the neck and the two drain back holes are at the top. Is this the correct way, I was thinking of putting the drain holes at the bottom. Not even sure if it matters, just trying get it set in my mind. Do you have any problems putting the nozzle in the fill hole, in relation to the body.

Thanks,

The two small holes in the filler neck are vent holes - which go on top. The baffled hole is the filler hole - which goes on bottom.

If the vent holes are below the filler flap, you will trigger the filler nozzle's overflow function every time you fill up your gas tank, which will sort of defeat the purpose of upgrading to a modern twist-on fuel filler.

No turning back. With the large pipe cutter I borrowed there was no way to cut the filler neck off. I had to cut off the side vent hose as well. Brought it to the friendly TIG welder this morning to put it all back together. Hope he can make it work.

91D12FAF-2B43-4B99-BB68-C1D4349E967B.jpeg
2CAEF51C-0614-4A98-B07F-DCC1E4D5D7E2.jpeg
1D2FC345-6DDD-4ED5-9C85-F9AC7ACDD12E.jpeg

CFB9D66F-FCA5-4C94-AC97-CC601324EDF5.jpeg
Ready for install.

Guys, we're sick of not giving back to these forums, so here's a little vid on us following these amazing instructions!!

Huuuuge shoutout to @FordFascist for originally posting this article!!

Hit me up with any questions as I'm sure this will inspire people waaay more capable and prepared than us.

A little late to the game, but I'm about to tackle this project (hopefully..), but it looks like the folks at 'Filller Neck Supply' are about out of product. Has anyone else found a supplier for a similar 2" filler neck that can be used in this application? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom