What have you done to your 200 Series this week? (21 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Seems like a good use for a Jeep. ;)

Was it truly Plug-n-Play? Did you get the 6000K?

I'm interested, but honestly a little put off by the gimmicky "carry case".

They were actually...took me about 5 minutes. They come with the ballasts, so you just connect them to the light cable and the bulb fits just like a regular bulb. I was skeptical at first too, but I figured I can always return them If they're crap, but I'm surprisingly impressed by how well they work. Yes, the case is a little hokey, but at least they're well protected in shipping I guess. The one thing I was worried about is how would they perform when I need to flash someone to get the hell out of my way. I've read in the past that HIDs take some time to switch on, but these come on immediately, so no issues there. Oh, and yes, I got the 6000k. Any higher than that and you get that blue tint, and they wouldn't be as bright.

And if they made a Land Cruiser Powerwheels, I would have bought that in a heart beat, but I got the Heep for free, so I can't complain too much. I did swap out the motors and battery to 24V, so it'll move...when it's not being used as a shelf. ;)

I've never been very happy with the light output of the high beams, so I figured I'd try out HIDs and see how they did. I ended up getting this HID conversion kit from Amazon and I have to say, I'm pretty impressed. You can see the color difference between the HID on the passenger side and the regular halogen bulb on the driver side, plus, they're brighter and throw a longer light. They match the color of the low beam much better too. Here's what I got:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ZF35GM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also learned something today as well. I had no idea that HID bulbs can go dimmer over time, so I'm probably going to replace the stock bulbs as well. Lately they've seemed not as bright...maybe it's just my imagination, but I'm going to give it a try and see.

Oh, and please ignore the mess in my garage. I just got back from camping trip and just piled everything on top of my son's Jeep. View attachment 1311560

Since you have a 2013, you don't need to replace the HID bulbs yet. They shouldn't need to replaced for at minimum at least several more years with normal use.

You can boost the lowbeam output to your desired level by turning the aim screw with a long Philips screwdriver and raising the cutoff level. At a certain point, you don't gain any further distance vision by continuing upward so it will take a little adjustment to figure out your desired setting, but it is worth it. Stock aim is always low.

image.png
I've never been very happy with the light output of the high beams, so I figured I'd try out HIDs and see how they did. I ended up getting this HID conversion kit from Amazon and I have to say, I'm pretty impressed. You can see the color difference between the HID on the passenger side and the regular halogen bulb on the driver side, plus, they're brighter and throw a longer light. They match the color of the low beam much better too. Here's what I got:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ZF35GM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also learned something today as well. I had no idea that HID bulbs can go dimmer over time, so I'm probably going to replace the stock bulbs as well. Lately they've seemed not as bright...maybe it's just my imagination, but I'm going to give it a try and see.

Oh, and please ignore the mess in my garage. I just got back from camping trip and just piled everything on top of my son's Jeep. View attachment 1311560

if you do new bulbs, do these! These are brighter than oem. My wife's MDX had dull oem hid output and everyone recommended these bulbs.

Used the 3rd on my 80 when my family came to visit and we all went off roading in Florida (7 of us). In my 100 I had a Bed headboard that was very awkward and it only fit between the front seats and 2nd row, then my son had to ride in the back. He made it his own fort area. So rarely, but they are nice to have. Still looking for a 200 series.

Since you have a 2013, you don't need to replace the HID bulbs yet. They shouldn't need to replaced for at minimum at least several more years with normal use.

You can boost the lowbeam output to your desired level by turning the aim screw with a long Philips screwdriver and raising the cutoff level. At a certain point, you don't gain any further distance vision by continuing upward so it will take a little adjustment to figure out your desired setting, but it is worth it. Stock aim is always low.

Where is the aim screw?

Can you use the DRL with these?

HID can't be used for DRL or low voltage applications. You are better off going for high power LED 9005 bulbs. If you can wait a few months I plan to install some in the cruiser and will let you know if we need capacitors.

HID can't be used for DRL or low voltage applications. You are better off going for high power LED 9005 bulbs. If you can wait a few months I plan to install some in the cruiser and will let you know if we need capacitors.

I tried the opt7 leds and mtec 9005 leds. The opt7 pulsed with drls on due to the low voltage, and the mtec worked in drl but the beam patterns were scattered due to the design of the light housing and were unfocused and likely blinding others. I didn't have luck with these leds but the technology continues to improve so maybe there are others to try.

I tried the opt7 leds and mtec 9005 leds. The opt7 pulsed with drls on due to the low voltage, and the mtec worked in drl but the beam patterns were scattered due to the design of the light housing and were unfocused and likely blinding others. I didn't have luck with these leds but the technology continues to improve so maybe there are others to try.

The only places I would buy LED headlights from is theretrofitsource or VLEDS. They seem to have best quality for output and spread. I would think the high beams should not be as focused since the bulbs do not sit behind a reflector.

I added VLEDS h11 LED bulb to the fogs and they are brighter than the headlights and literally extend all the way to the other side of the highway without blinding others like HID bulbs.

No, I don't think you can use these as DRLs. Also, as an update, I had said before that when using these for brights, they came on right away. After using them for a few days, I need to update that. It does take a few seconds for them to completely warm up, but they are really bright once they're at full brightness. I do think I may end up swapping them out for maybe some that are a little whiter. I though the 6000k would be pure white, but it does have somewhat of a blue tint to it. It's not awful, but I'll probably swap them for 4300k or 5000k.

Looks great. I have had the dipyourcar.com site open on my computer for over a week now and can't determine what colors to use for my chrome stuff and (maybe) wheels.

Or even decide if I want to do any of that.

I'm so conflicted!!

Thanks. The plasti dip comes off pretty easily if you don't like it or want to change colors. Poor mans powdercoat.

Got my tires rotated and flipped to white letters out. Then stripped the grey plasti dip and painted them black with glossifier as the last coat. I am happy with it but am still looking at method wheels so I can lose the wheel spacers and go with a bit wider tire.

View attachment 1313694
I have the same color 15 and was thinking of having my wheels powder coated when it's time for tires. What suspension set up are you running? I love the look. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom