opinions on roof top tents (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I agree, i've seen a link to the ikamper on expo portal i believe. Great looking idea. I'm glad to see more people seeing the need for these RTT's and the technology is there.

I wanted to add this comment after spending the past three weeks using my JB RTT.

First off, every night of sleep was amazingly comfortable and i slept just as good if not better than in my bed at home. However!!! I was on a trip that had a lot of off camber, ledge climbs that absolutely had me wishing that tent was not there. My ARB awning also has the room with it, and my dad that was on the trip with me brought a small collapsable cot to sleep on in the room. This had me thinking along with all the others in the group that that awning room and a folding cot just might be the real ticket.

It is certainly something to consider. If you have no issues with weight up top and are on a true scenic overlanding trip, the RTT is a great option. However, anything that can cause you to feel tippy makes the RTT a huge ????. So weigh your options carefully... do you want over 100 lbs of $3,000 weight on your roof? Or, would you prefer to sleep on a cheap cot inside your awning room beside your truck for 20% of the cost and no tippy weight?

So, that's my thoughts.

Those are very good thoughts to consider.
Most of my "wheeling" consists of tooling around old growth forest service roads exploring for past/present/future campsites, so I am not really getting tippy or off camber much.

My Maggiolina has been on my roof since spring of 2008, and I do not even notice it anymore when driving.

Sounds like just an awning/room setup may work out for you better if your type of off roading is going to be more crawling/off camber type of terrain.

IMHO, feeling tippy is just how it sounds - a feeling. How justified it is - is pure speculation without facts and testing. Problem with that is - when it tips it will be expen$ive. 100 lbs or whatever your RTT weighs is considerable weight, considering how high above CG it is, it's definitely a concern. I'm running an 80 - so I'm confident running a RTT is well within the capabilities of the rig. I'm also aware that, although it is (again IMHO) the best overall SUV ever made, it still has limitations. Mine has done amazingly well in everything I've tasked it with. To me, serious rock crawling or any extreme off camber activity is out of it's league because it's just too heavy and bulky without stripping it. So for me, the "tippy" feeling is just more caution to stay out of trouble. I'll use my '81 Mini for when I'm feeling daring... can't break it anyway video ... lol

Last edited:
go run the shelf roads in Utah that barely fit an 80 and have 500-900 ft drop offs while you are turning up hill off camber and your truck is leaning towards death. It will certainly make you have a lot of thoughts run through your head. Have you run the hole in the rock trail? The shelf road on the rincon?

I'm just saying, there are times and places that any added weight on top of a lifted 80 is noticeable.

IMG_5456.JPG
IMG_4875.JPG
image.jpeg

And these weren't even the real tippy parts with the sheer cliff drop offs!

go run the shelf roads in Utah that barely fit an 80 and have 500-900 ft drop offs while you are turning up hill off camber and your truck is leaning towards death. It will certainly make you have a lot of thoughts run through your head. Have you run the hole in the rock trail? The shelf road on the rincon?

I'm just saying, there are times and places that any added weight on top of a lifted 80 is noticeable.
CJ - nice pics! Hey, I don't think anyone is disputing that a RTT handicaps offroad ability to some degree. But also, no one is holding a gun to your head. Are you bragging or complaining? It's your choice - just say no, I won't go. No disrespect intended, here. Just sayin' - I think we're: :deadhorse:

not trying to beat a dead horse, just showing an example of an overlanding trip where the RTT was awesome, until i hit a few trails which had me questioning it.

I wanted to point out that there are some good options out there for much less $$ and in some cases a better choice. I am a RTT fan for 95% of my use.

not trying to beat a dead horse, just showing an example of an overlanding trip where the RTT was awesome, until i hit a few trails which had me questioning it.

I wanted to point out that there are some good options out there for much less $$ and in some cases a better choice. I am a RTT fan for 95% of my use.
Yep, nothing's perfect - almost everything's a compromise. But, for me also, the RTT will be how I roll for offroad camping. This opinion was recently challenged when I went on the ROF's 2016 Baja trip. Went with some nice trailer setups - most had their RTT mounted on the trailer. But a trailer can be as much or more of a handicap offroad. I don't want to sleep on the ground or in an annex room anymore, after using my RTT. I just need to improve my offroad kitchen. Got an excellent fridge/freezer in a National Luna 50L, but need to get a better stove setup. My old green Coleman works, but is showing its age occasionally. Thinking about an Ostrich Wing awning, too. I'm hearing they're built sturdier than the Fox Wing and hold up better in wind. Or an AluCab Shadow. :cheers:

I'll weigh in on this debate a bit. I think roof top tents are a great idea, but no matter how you slice it, they increase your roll-over risk in all circumstances. Even travel down the freeway. It's physics.

On the trip @concretejungle is referring to, there were several spots where it not only felt dangerous inside the cab, it was dangerous. One bounce the wrong way, and you're over. Just the way it is. Most of the time, that risk is acceptable, but here and there it isn't. I even took off my 80 pound roof rack for the Utah trip.

.......... but no matter how you slice it, they increase your roll-over risk in all circumstances. Even travel down the freeway. It's physics......
Excellent point and one that folks must seriously consider before investing serious $ in a RTT.

Last edited:
My RTT was a fad, I think. Putting the cover on and off with the zipper and all was starting to get old. Its still on my rig, but i just bought a Oz Tent Bunker cot. Way easier. I cotted it outside for years before the RTT anyways. I will probably put the RTT on my truck bed trailer.

Comfortable enough CampTeq equipped to film while driving;)

For most the pucker factor goes in to effect way before an 80 reaches its static point of going over. This does not account for weight transfer that causes most roll overs RTT equipped or not.

Pictured - The owner drove out without issue or assistance. Pucker factor very high

imagejpeg_2.jpg

I'll take this life over sleeping in the back of my 80.
I have had mine out testing on some rocks. I have about 175lbs on my roof. It can get uncomfortable.

But It's like what LandcruiserPhil said. Weight transfer. I've seen that roll stuff that makes a lot of people scratch their heads.

I am going to increase my foot print. This should help with my stability. The rest is all driver mods.
Sure tire pressure helps. But you also have to know when and by how much. And if you really thought you were going to roll. Winch and snatch block will save you.

We are always pushing the learning curve.
It's what makes this all so fun. And gives us these awesome camp fire stories.

2016-06-07 23.38.52.jpg

2016-06-07 23.42.50.jpg

My RTT should be here tomorrow and I'm very excited. I'm getting the Tepui Kukenam Ruggedized.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom